Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Homelink in NZ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of these to use Homelink on an existing opener: HomeLink Receiver – 2 Channel – Tessories

The unit works and the transmitter that came with it works well with plenty of range. But Homelink only works sometimes (maybe 50%) and only from very short range (a couple metres). Homelink activates properly both auto and manual but the door doesn't open. Anyone else have any success with this or recommend some other receiver?

I bought one of these to use Homelink on an existing opener: HomeLink Receiver – 2 Channel – Tessories

The unit works and the transmitter that came with it works well with plenty of range. But Homelink only works sometimes (maybe 50%) and only from very short range (a couple metres). Homelink activates properly both auto and manual but the door doesn't open. Anyone else have any success with this or recommend some other receiver?
I bought that receiver and modified it by adding an antenna (5/8 wip) and mounting it on top of the garage. That increased the range from a few meters to about 60m.
The Model 3 transmitter is behind the front bumper, so the signal is still poor when driving away from the garage.
Now works reliably when set to 12m.
I can send photos if you are interested.
(On holiday at present).

I bought that receiver and modified it by adding an antenna (5/8 wip) and mounting it on top of the garage. That increased the range from a few meters to about 60m.
The Model 3 transmitter is behind the front bumper, so the signal is still poor when driving away from the garage.
Now works reliably when set to 12m.
I can send photos if you are interested.
(On holiday at present).
Thanks and good to hear it's possible. I've got a 1/2 wavelength wire as an antenna on it now and only need it to open when the car is pointed at it as it closes on a timer. When you get back, if you can post a photo that would be appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your holiday (we're away too)

A bit late to the party, but I used UR-Mode, the homelink receiver learns the car transmission
no learning existing remote

Homelink receiver dip switch 6&7 on all others off I think
Setup homelink in the car select UR-Mode
On the homelink receiver press s1 or s2 which ever one you have connected the garage door
LED should flash once it's learned the car
You don't get much time at all to do this
The car has no idea if the home link receiver has successfully learnt the car transmission it just assumes all is good
and will give you a green active homelink
So if the garage door or gate is not opening chances are the learning has failed
After a few attempts with nothing happening other than green homelink on the car and car indicating green transmission when homelink button pressed
I ran an extension lead out to the car and used an old 12v PS to power the homelink receiver
with a multi meter connected to channel 1 on the homelink receiver so I could see what was happening when I tried setting up homelink ....success within a few seconds

I think my multiple failures were down to the time it took to get back to the car once activating learning on the homelink receiver
Tested it a few times and moved it back into the garage - still working

I think these will probably work as well, avg price around $10.00 NZD