Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using iPhone 6 with their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this a while ago but got no response::(
Both my wife’s iPhone and mine only give a visual notification when the car has been left unlocked because the boot wasn’t latched (after 10 mins). Pretty useless IMO unless you happen to have the phone open at the time. Have 2020.36.11 installed and did a hard reset afterwards. Have signed out/in from app and have all the iPhone notifications set in addition to the vehicle selection in the Tesla app.
Don’t know if this is some compatibility problem because we both have old iPhone 6, but we get sound alerts from other apps ok.
Also -
Can anyone make sense of the 10 minute delay before informing you? If I’ve left the car unlocked, I want to know ASAP, not 10 minutes later when I could be a mile away!

I believe the 10 min delay is by design and not because you’re using an iPhone 6. I also believe there isn’t an option to change the notification period. Software update release notes should have this information and release notes are available in the car.

Posted this a while ago but got no response::(
Both my wife’s iPhone and mine only give a visual notification when the car has been left unlocked because the boot wasn’t latched (after 10 mins). Pretty useless IMO unless you happen to have the phone open at the time. Have 2020.36.11 installed and did a hard reset afterwards. Have signed out/in from app and have all the iPhone notifications set in addition to the vehicle selection in the Tesla app.
Don’t know if this is some compatibility problem because we both have old iPhone 6, but we get sound alerts from other apps ok.
Also -
Can anyone make sense of the 10 minute delay before informing you? If I’ve left the car unlocked, I want to know ASAP, not 10 minutes later when I could be a mile away!

The irony of owning one of the most tech laden cars you can buy and then using a relic of a phone ;)

The irony of owning one of the most tech laden cars you can buy and then using a relic of a phone ;)

I only changed my ~ten year old Nokia for an iPhone SE that was on special offer a year ago. I think I've made one call on it, and that was around November last year, when I called a taxi from the train when on our way to pick up the Model 3. We both only have a mobiles for emergencies, so there seems little point in spending much money on one.

Reactions: Keeper
Fair play if you can get mile away in ten minutes (and lets be sensible on this)... most of us will forget a window open...the door or the boot, frunk is unlikely yet not impossible. I suppose it depends on what you're used to/what car you had before but a later iPhone or any other would not help you in this case.

First world problems? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Its a phone, oh, and a key now, and part exercise machine. It works. Not yet found a feature that mine does not handle. Actually, one, but so insignificant I have forgotten what it was. I've had mine 6 years, and will probably change when 5G is available where it would be good to have. In the mean time, I've made less of an environmental impact than had I changed it every couple of years.

Reactions: Js1977
Its a phone, oh, and a key now, and part exercise machine. It works. Not yet found a feature that mine does not handle. Actually, one, but so insignificant I have forgotten what it was. I've had mine 6 years, and will probably change when 5G is available where it would be good to have. In the mean time, I've made less of an environmental impact than had I changed it every couple of years.
But have you tried the notification test?

I only changed my ~ten year old Nokia for an iPhone SE that was on special offer a year ago. I think I've made one call on it, and that was around November last year, when I called a taxi from the train when on our way to pick up the Model 3. We both only have a mobiles for emergencies, so there seems little point in spending much money on one.
Snap.
From a five quid Nokia that was more than happy being dropped off ladders or being sat on to an iPhone SE - it has a camera'n'everyfink.
The Nokia had a battery that lasted even longer than Model Y roof glue too. I've still got it in a drawer - too attached to chuck it.

A quick test and have not followed up on why.

Phone unmuted.

Unlocked car via app. Didn't get any unlock door notification in any shape or form - off top of my head, not sure if I am actually meant to so may be expected behaviour. No physical door left ajar.

Window vent. Got app notification, but no sound and they are definitely look as if they should be enabled. 'Multiple windows are not fully closed'. Wife, with much newer iPhone didn't even get the notification. Briefly checked settings, all looked correct at first glance.

I had to change my notification settings on iPhone 8 to ensure banner alerts were “Persistent” otherwise they hide away on the event screen and you have to go hunting for them.

really like the “auto close windows on lock” setting in the car, used to forget to shut the passenger window a lot which I’d have open for vaping whilst driving and then wake up to car full of rain