Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using plugless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still just a dreamer right now, waiting for a Model 3, so I'm not speaking from experience. However, I think setting a recurring daily alarm to remind you to plug in should be enough to build the habit and significantly reduce likelihood of forgetting. I think that's the real concern behind wired vs wireless charging. Installing the connector and making the habit to plug whenever you get home would probably be the best. Once you have the habit, you'll be a lot less likely to forget, and you have a more efficient means of charging that could potentially charge much faster.

brucet999, Today at 9:48 AM

Right now it probably makes more sense with a Leaf where someone runs lots of errands, and doesn't constantly want to unplug/plug.
In places like CA, where daytime electric rates are $0.35/kWh or more and overnight costs $0.125/kWh, inefficient wireless charging makes even less sense than elsewhere.

"Blue Max", 70 Blue/Tan, Obeche Matte, Pano, 19", AP; delivered 11-19-15

Where in CA do you get .12 cents per watt? I think the best we can do with SDGE is .18.

PG&E has their off peak rates on their EV-A/EV-B plans from 11pm-7am with rates of $0.11740/kW (winter) it's $0.11465/kW (summer). It has me considering transitioning to the PG&E EV-A plan to get those rates; however, considering how little charging will do with minimal daily driving compared to constantly running electronics in my house... think the non-time of use plan I'm on now might be better overall. Also have solar offsetting my electricity use.

PG&E has their off peak rates on their EV-A/EV-B plans from 11pm-7am with rates of $0.11740/kW (winter) it's $0.11465/kW (summer). It has me considering transitioning to the PG&E EV-A plan to get those rates; however, considering how little charging will do with minimal daily driving compared to constantly running electronics in my house... think the non-time of use plan I'm on now might be better overall. Also have solar offsetting my electricity use.
Solar is an EXTRA good reason to change to a TOU plan. I sell PG&E electricity for over $0.30 during the day and buy it back for my car for $0.12 at night.

Solar is an EXTRA good reason to change to a TOU plan. I sell PG&E electricity for over $0.30 during the day and buy it back for my car for $0.12 at night.

Normally, I would say yes... but what most of my electricity goes to is not the car, and much of that is running 24/7. I'm on the fence but think it's a wash for me currently on either plan. If I can get a powerwall, the equation changes as can insure I use stored solar energy during peak times.

In large cities, at lot of cars are parked in the street.
Wireless charging seems to be a good solution for charging at night without wandalism issue.

pic2.jpg

New York City Is Getting Wireless EV Chargers Disguised as Manholes

Note: Location of the wireless device seems to be in the middle of the car,
but for the Tesla Model S, the sensor was placed on the front.
I saw that for the Nissan Leaf, the sensor is on the back.

PluglessSystemModelS_Side_1200x468-1024x361.jpg

wireless-charging-mat--nissan-leaf_100372613_m.jpg

Last edited:
The issue is that while heat dissipation is negliglible from a thermal and financial standpoint in a 3600mAh smarpthone inductive pad, the charging losses in a large battery will result in significant heat dissipation and increased bills, including you air conditioning costs and the battery cooling system kicking in for long periods of time to cool the overheated batteries from the charger heat dissipation under the car.
Have you touched the inductive smartphone pad about two hours after it started charging a near empty phone? It is very warm.

The e-bus pantograph chargers are not feasible and a floor solution will electrocute people.

IMHO we will end up having the tool suspension system help out, something like this will easily keep the charger out of the way and make it easy for non-garage-hoarder:

tss.gif

Where in CA do you get .12 cents per watt? I think the best we can do with SDGE is .18.

Damn. On the EV-TOU2 plan, 5/1 - 10/31 (summer), we pay $0.46 noon-6:00 pm, $0.18 midnight - 5:00 am, and $0.21 for the rest. Winter (11/1 - 4/30), we pay $0.19 midnight - 5:00 am and $0.21 the rest of the day. Definitely screwed by San Diego Greed & Extortion...