Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using San Diego TOU rates, single meter, without solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't have my car yet, trying to estimate charging costs. Right now we just don't use much juice. I'm always in SDG&E tier 1 and tier 2, with the exception of September when we run the A/C a lot, then it jumps into tier 4 easily. Solar has never made much sense because usage has been so low.

But with the MS coming in a few weeks, we're going to jump into tier 3+ immediately. So it really means all my charging will be at the higher tier3 and 4 rates.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Did switching to time-of-use billing make a difference and save you money? Because the car is coming next month, and we're going to run the A/C in September, I think I should apply for TOU billing right off the bat and set the car to charge starting at midnight, get in the habit of running the dishwasher at night, don't do laundry during peak hours, etc.

Make sense? Anyone else doing this? Getting a separate meter for just the car is also an option but seems like overkill.

I don't think it will make much difference on the A/C costs, either. Sure, we'll try to avoid running the air during peak hours, but even if we do we were paying the higher rates already because it pushed us into the higher tiers.

Seems like a no-brainer. Am I missing anything? Thanks for any suggestions.

Wow, just found a tool in a related thread that answers all my questions:
EcoDog - SDGE Green Button Download | Data Analysis | Power Meter | Energy Rate Saver

I loaded a year of data from SDG&E, answered a few questions, clicked a button, boom! EV-TOU-2 is indeed a no-brainer. Hope this helps anyone else looking for similar analysis.

I am in the SDG&E territory and switched to TOU single meter with EV the same day I took delivery of my car; that's the earliest one can make the switch from reading the SDG&E document I had to sign to make the switch.

I used the same green button calculator and realized recouping the cost to install a second meter probably wouldn't happen in my lifetime, so the single meter with EV TOU plan made the most sense.

Like you, I use very little electricity, mostly in tier 1 & 2 except when the A/C needs to run. I have been on the plan for 7 months. All EV charging is done from 12am to 5am unless I really drove a lot of miles and then the residual charging is usually completed by 7am. Using the super off peak rate, my electrical costs are running just under 6 cents a mile to charge the S. Once vampire losses are addressed, I think I can cut that down to 5 1/2 cents a mile.

The rest of my house electrical costs are still pretty much on par as they were under the tiered rate plan, maybe an increase of $5 dollars month. One thing I do make a habit of is not to use any of the power users such as A/C, washer, dryer, etc during the noon to 6pm time period. You will pay dearly for using those as the rate is very high.

If you haven't done so and have A/C, SDG&E has a energy saving program where they can turn your A/C off during power alerts. I've been in the program for 3 years and they cut the A/C about 4-6 times during the summer months. They credit your bill at the end of the year about $200, just realize those six days are the days you really need the A/C to be on so you are trading some comfort for the cash.

TOU Rates - SDG&E

I've got a single meter and switched to TOU rates. I just got my June bill and that reflected my first full month with a P85 model S and the first full month with TOU rates. Unsurprisingly, my KWHs were up quite a bit, but my total bill was down.

Not too shabby. That means my P85 has a negative fuel cost!

I've got a single meter and switched to TOU rates. I just got my June bill and that reflected my first full month with a P85 model S and the first full month with TOU rates. Unsurprisingly, my KWHs were up quite a bit, but my total bill was down.

Not too shabby. That means my P85 has a negative fuel cost!

yep, I'm on the same SDGE EV plan. My bill stayed about the same as before getting the car in Feb. amazing. Basically free "fuel"

I work at the utility in the Clean Transportation group, and would be happy to answer EV rate questions....For most circumstances like you're speaking about, the EV-TOU2 rate is the best choice. This is currently a subsidized rate to help encourage off-peak charging. As more cars are purchased, if large numbers of customers charge on peak or even in the evening, then ultimately additional utility infrastructure would need to be built to accommodate that extra load (driving up costs). So we believe in rate incentives to encourage off-peak charging.

In addition to charging during the super off-peak period, you can also save money on your bill by shifting any other large loads to off peak or super off peak (swimming pool pumps, electric dryers, etc.).

You can switch to the EV-TOU2 rate once you take delivery of your car....

Randy

Tommy, do you charge with 50 amp NEMA and a single charger? Sounds like that's ok, too.
I have twin chargers, however one charger is all I really needed to take full advantage of my 14-50 NEMA outlet.

I work at the utility in the Clean Transportation group, and would be happy to answer EV rate questions....For most circumstances like you're speaking about, the EV-TOU2 rate is the best choice. This is currently a subsidized rate to help encourage off-peak charging. As more cars are purchased, if large numbers of customers charge on peak or even in the evening, then ultimately additional utility infrastructure would need to be built to accommodate that extra load (driving up costs). So we believe in rate incentives to encourage off-peak charging.

In addition to charging during the super off-peak period, you can also save money on your bill by shifting any other large loads to off peak or super off peak (swimming pool pumps, electric dryers, etc.).

The lower rate is the reason I charge at a specific time; eliminate the incentive to save money and most people will charge when it's most convenient. Saving money is a huge incentive to change human behavior. I am certain having a larger price differential between super off peak and the other times would encourage more to charge at supper off peak times and help defer additional utility infrastructure.

Last month's bill-no TOU, no car, little ac was 640.
This month's bill TOU, car (1500 miles), much more ac was 570. Fuel costs at least minus 70. Maybe I should drive more.

I had an owner at the Service Center tell me his monthly SDG&E bill is $2,000, and that by adding a Model S and moving to ToU-2, he will save $800 a month... He said he has a large Koi pond, pool, AC and I'm guessing 6000-8000 sq. ft. of house.