Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using slip-on spacers with extended shank lug nuts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the title, I'd like to run a wider than 5mm slip on - and I'd prefer not to run "bolt-on" (that have their own studs), or swap to aftermarket/longer studs.

I have a set of 4 slip-on 5mm spacers, and while that seems to be a good fitment for the front, the rear seems to work better with something like a 14m.

My car is a '21 M3P, and this would be for use with the stock Uberturbines (the newer 20x9" size). Might swap to 255/35-20 tires for a little better fit on the 9" wide wheel (and a little more sidewall height).

I'm considering a product like this:

I suppose one consideration, is you're then committed to a proprietary lug.

I will be running 5mm spacers with ET lug nuts as soon as they arrive. The only reason I'm running 5mm is to clear suspension components.

Current setup with Apex EC-7R wheels and 5mm spacers yields about 13mm of thread engagement on the OEM lug nuts. Just under the 14mm minimum you should get for M14 nuts.

Why do you want such large spacers in the rear? Meatier tires would be adequate in not making the stock wheels look so poked in.

I will be running 5mm spacers with ET lug nuts as soon as they arrive. The only reason I'm running 5mm is to clear suspension components.

Current setup with Apex EC-7R wheels and 5mm spacers yields about 13mm of thread engagement on the OEM lug nuts. Just under the 14mm minimum you should get for M14 nuts.

Why do you want such large spacers in the rear? Meatier tires would be adequate in not making the stock wheels look so poked in.

Looking at various photos in the aftermarket wheels thread, it appeared that wheels with the equivalent spec (or very close) to the '21+ Uberturbines i.e., a 20x9 ET34, the rear needed a good 10-14mm to work (aesthetically) with the front with a 5mm.

Like I mentioned above, I'm thinking about going with some 255/35 on the stock wheels. It's funny, this would be my first car in the last couple of decades without aftermarket wheels (hahaha, I went through like 4 different sets with my Z06, but two were track use specific). Just decided I liked these wheels quite a bit, and didn't want to deal with storage/sourcing a set when I swap back to stock (I'd love to run a 245/35, 285/30 setup).

I guess since I have the set of 4 of the 5mm, I could just give those a shot. I actually have a beautiful set of aftermarket lugs sitting here I'd kind of like to use, so that's a factor in the larger spacers.

FWIW, I have actually used bolt-on/re-studded spacers a couple of times, good quality parts from Motorsports Tech (custom size), but decided not to go that route.

14mm without swapping wheel studs would be perfect. Right now I'm running 5mm back and no spacer front, also in a '21 M3P. Would like to put the 5 up front and run these. Not going to be the guinea pig though. Watching this thread.

14mm without swapping wheel studs would be perfect. Right now I'm running 5mm back and no spacer front, also in a '21 M3P. Would like to put the 5 up front and run these. Not going to be the guinea pig though. Watching this thread.

3-4mm is really the max you can run without swapping studs. With 5mm, I only had 13mm of thread engagement front and back.

I'm going to be swapping in longer studs soon.

2022 MYP with the 21" turbines. 5mm slip on spacers on the rear wheels. No problems I don't think with the thread engagement, but it doesn't look like the hub goes back far enough to rest on the hub centric part. Is that a problem?

Last edited:
If you are going with 255 tires, you may not need spacers in the front. I have 255s on with 7/8 mm (can’t remember which one I ended using but for all intents and purposes, makes little difference) slip-on spacers in the rear with stock Uberturbines and suspension. I have tried combinations of 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 15, 18, and 20 mm spacers all around and settled with just the 7/8 mm spacers in the rear only. Anything beyond that, the wheels pokes out too much; the above combination is flush. And yes, I used extended shank lugs for the rear. This is on a ‘21 M3P.

E50692F2-4CFA-4CE6-A20D-D0D526ACE637.jpeg510DA693-FF2B-4D57-BB78-6FECD9158DD1.jpeg

If you are going with 255 tires, you may not need spacers in the front. I have 255s on with 7/8 mm (can’t remember which one I ended using but for all intents and purposes, makes little difference) slip-on spacers in the rear with stock Uberturbines and suspension. I have tried combinations of 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 15, 18, and 20 mm spacers all around and settled with just the 7/8 mm spacers in the rear only. Anything beyond that, the wheels pokes out too much; the above combination is flush. And yes, I used extended shank lugs for the rear. This is on a ‘21 M3P.

View attachment 763183View attachment 763184

Excellent info, thanks. FYI, your pics are busted:

1643729962949.png

Seems like a permissions thing, but would love to see them. Sounds like maybe just a switch to the 255/35 and a slipover 5mm in the rear, and I'd have the visual improvement I'm looking to get. What brand/model 255s did you use?

2022 MYP with the 21" turbines. 5mm slip on spacers on the rear wheels. No problems I don't think with the thread engagement, but it doesn't look like the hub goes back far enough to rest on the hub centric part. Is that a problem?

Sounds a touch concerning, maybe you should toss up some photos.

Excellent info, thanks. FYI, your pics are busted:

View attachment 763227

Seems like a permissions thing, but would love to see them. Sounds like maybe just a switch to the 255/35 and a slipover 5mm in the rear, and I'd have the visual improvement I'm looking to get. What brand/model 255s did you use?

Sounds a touch concerning, maybe you should toss up some photos.
I tried, it didn't want to upload them. Here are a couple links. First is stock, second is with 5mm spacer. You can see the center ring doesn't exactly get all the way back. (wheel still centered and holds fine with the lugs though)

I put the H&R 14/17mm spacers on my 2021 Model 3 performance and couldn't be happier with how it came out. Nice and flush look. I initially looked at Bonoss and they said to get the 15mm in front I'd have to trim the original lugs to accommodate the uberturbines. Not wanting to do that I contacted Model + and asked for their suggestion. They suggested the H&Rs 14/17, no trimming and works perfect. I think the 15/20mm would have resulted in some poke as well considering how these look. I'm also lowered on Moutain Pass Performance comfort coilovers.

Attachments

• teslah&Rspacer2.jpg
    teslah&Rspacer2.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Lindenwood
I put the H&R 14/17mm spacers on my 2021 Model 3 performance and couldn't be happier with how it came out. Nice and flush look. I initially looked at Bonoss and they said to get the 15mm in front I'd have to trim the original lugs to accommodate the uberturbines. Not wanting to do that I contacted Model + and asked for their suggestion. They suggested the H&Rs 14/17, no trimming and works perfect. I think the 15/20mm would have resulted in some poke as well considering how these look. I'm also lowered on Moutain Pass Performance comfort coilovers.
Do you have a link to the H&R 14/17 mm spacers and lug nuts you used? I went with Bonoss 5mm up front and 18mm in the rear and the 18mm sticks out a mm too much. I haven't put on the 5mm in front because there was not enough thread. I didn't know about ET lug nuts.

View attachment 763183View attachment 763184

Would you mind sharing where you got the extended shank lugs?

Would you mind sharing where you got the extended shank lugs?

Pretty much any motorsports supply store has them (even through Amazon), but the 14mm slip on spacers for Tesla are usually packaged with them:

Reactions: kjww