Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using the EVTV OBDII adapter with Torque/Scan my Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
I've connected the EVTV adapter today and am using a OBDLink MX BT adapter with it.
I've installed Torque and Scan my Tesla and both seem to be able to communicate OK with the MX but neither app is receiving any data from my Model 3.

The OBD and Host lights on the MX are lighting up when first connecting Scan my Tesla but then go out and I then get a message 'no data received for 30 seconds...".

In Torque, they stay flashing but all the dials display zero values.

What else do I need to do?

Is there a handshake between the OBDLink and the EVTV adapter ?
Is there a handshake between the EVTV adapter and the car ?

The answers might give a hint in what order to connect the devices and whether to add pauses between connections.

Ok now I've found a thread on another forum which has led to me checking and changing the can connections inside the evtv unit which were wrong. Now I'm receiving data and can see some values in Torque, but in scanmytesla it's still timing out with no data displayed.

What was the settings you changed?
Using Torque Pro and not getting any data from my Model 3 2020.

I have "Tesla Model 3 OBDII Adapter - for Models manufactured after January 9, 2019" from EVTV.
No problem plugging it in and I am able to connect using USB from Win10 PC with PuTTY terminal so I can change settings.
Using Torque Pro I can connect over WiFi.
Adapter Status Information looks ok except the following:
- Vehicle Manufacturer: "Unknown".
- VIN Code: "Not present".
- Calibration ID: "Not present".
Torque Pro Adapter Status Information WiFi 2020-01-12_10-51-17.png

Current settings:
LOGLEVEL=1 - set log level (0=debug, 1=info, 2=warn, 3=error, 4=off)
CAN0EN=1 - Enable/Disable CAN0 (0 = Disable, 1 = Enable)
CAN0SPEED=500000 - Set speed of CAN0 in baud (125000, 250000, etc)
CAN0LISTENONLY=0 - Enable/Disable Listen Only Mode (0 = Dis, 1 = En)
CAN1EN=1 - Enable/Disable CAN1 (0 = Disable, 1 = Enable)
CAN1SPEED=500000 - Set speed of CAN1 in baud (125000, 250000, etc)
CAN1LISTENONLY=0 - Enable/Disable Listen Only Mode (0 = Dis, 1 = En)
FORWARDCAN=0 - Forward CAN traffic between CAN0 and CAN1 (0 = No, 1 = Yes)
SSID=ESP32OBD2 - SSID for creating a soft AP
WPA2KEY=******** - WPA2 key to use for softAP
WIFIMODE=1 - 0 = Connect to an AP as client, 1 = Make a softAP
WIFICHAN=11 - WiFi Channel to use as an AP
CLIENTSSID=EVTV - SSID to connect to as a client
CLIENTWPA2KEY=usatoday - WPA2 key to use when connecting to AP
ALLOWSC=0 - Allow SavvyCAN connections (0 = no, 1 = yes)

Also tried with OBDLink MX+. Same result.

Torque Pro Adapter Status Information connected to BT (ODBLink MX+) 1.png
Jack Rickard at EVTV said "To allow your Bluetooth device to work, you need to set FORWARDCAN=1" so I tried that too with same result, ie no data.

Using Scan My Tesla I get "No data for 30 sec. Restarting... ":
Scan My Tesla EVTV ODBLink MX+ No data...2020-01-12_11-02-52.png

Setting ALLOWSC=1 I am able to use SavvyCAN from Win10 PC to connect over WiFi. Again not seeing any data.

So, do I have faulty hardware or am I just configuring things wrongly?

To answer the original question. It does not work. The ESP32 isn't forwarding filters properly, and it isn't forwarding packets fast enough. I've got it to forward basically 1-2 packets per second versus the 700+ that a CAN tap offers.

It's possible that we could customize the firmware, but the upstream libraries will need modification as well as the EVTV device. I looked into it for a week or so, and it was just more of a PITA than buying a tap for $10.

:( Ok, newer mind BT.
Connecting to the EVTV adapter over WiFi from Torque Pro is meant to just work out of the box.
I've done a factory reset of the adapter and tried three different Android devices with version 4, 9, and 10 of Android with complete removal and re-install of Torque Pro and still no luck.
What am I doing wrong?
I assume plenty others out there do have the EVTV adapter and Torque Pro which works just fine?

Anything I can do to figure out if the adapter it self is faulty?

PS: I do windows/web development mainly using C#. Have no experience programming microcontrollers.

esp32? wow ;)

I do some work on the esp32 from time to time. can't believe someone ships a real product using that hacker chip.

I'm hoping to get a can bus adapter for my m3, someday. I do can/lin stuff at work so might be fun to get a direct can sniff.

I've had good luck with the very cheap and standard mcp2515 parts on arduinos and even raspberry pi's. as long as tesla is using regular can and not can-fd, the microchip modules ($8 or less on amazon/ebay) in spi mode can capture at full wire speed on any SINGLE bus.

the other thing I use a lot at work is the salaea clone usb 8 port logic analysers with simple mcp style transceivers to level shift can to ttl. you can get 8 full channels of wire-speed sniff and decode by using the salaea app or using open source alternatives.

what I do trust is to use the usb cypress streamer chips to sink data to a pc over usb; then decode the data post-capture and export to csv etc.

What am I doing wrong?
I assume plenty others out there do have the EVTV adapter and Torque Pro which works just fine?

Anything I can do to figure out if the adapter it self is faulty?

Ok, I'll ask the obvious question. Did you load the Tesla PID file provided by EVTV? I've been using TorquePro with the EVTV device for several months without problems. I have the OBDLink LX adapter.

The EVTV device will not work with ScanMyTesla. For that, you need one of these HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking

Ok now I've found a thread on another forum which has led to me checking and changing the can connections inside the evtv unit which were wrong. Now I'm receiving data and can see some values in Torque, but in scanmytesla it's still timing out with no data displayed.

Thanks! Same trouble with my adapter, green was wrongly connected to CAN0 LO and white to CAN0 HI. Swapped them and got things working using WiFi. Bluetooth will not work (Have not tried with FORWARDCAN=1 yet, possibly that will do the trick).
EVTV OBDII Adapter Model 3 2019... microcontroller 2020-01-14_21-35-41256.png

Attachments

• EVTV ESP32 CANDue microcontroller board 2020-01-14_06-46-37.png
    EVTV ESP32 CANDue microcontroller board 2020-01-14_06-46-37.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
Thanks! Same trouble with my adapter, green was wrongly connected to CAN0 LO and white to CAN0 HI. Swapped them and got things working using WiFi. Bluetooth will not work (Have not tried with FORWARDCAN=1 yet, possibly that will do the trick).
View attachment 500160

FORWARDCAN is how I got it forwarding a few packets per second. But it doesn't forward filters properly, it isn't fast enough, and the BT connector will timeout several times before the app connects properly.

It flat out doesn't work.

Your best bet is to use the CAN pins inside the EVTV box to just jumper directly to the additional dongle, or to buy a CAN bus tap for $10 like I did, and leave the EVTV device for high speed raw dumps over wifi.

They are in no way similar. One is just a tap for the CAN bus (CT20T1). The other is a microprocessor used to receive CAN messages.

That doesn't answer the question.

What does EVTV's device get me for ~$250 more? Tossing the word microprocessor in there doesn't say anything by itself. They are both just tapping into the same 3-4 wires from the car right? Is it just the built in Wi-Fi capability, and built in access to more of the specific data words?

That doesn't answer the question.

What does EVTV's device get me for ~$250 more? Tossing the word microprocessor in there doesn't say anything by itself. They are both just tapping into the same 3-4 wires from the car right? Is it just the built in Wi-Fi capability, and built in access to more of the specific data words?

The EVTV device can have software loaded onto it. Which means you can write software to do whatever you like, The device can be set up to capture CAN data and forward it over WiFi to a listening device, can be set up to pass some data through to a second connector, can be set up for logging, or you can write software to do whatever you like.

What it can not do is pass data through to the second connector at a high enough rate for proper data logging, it can not forward filters from the secondary connector to the primary, and it can not be a blind tap of the CAN bus unless you rewire it internally. It also doesn't preclude you from buying the CT20T1, using it to tap the CAN bus, and dangling the EVTV device off of it.

They aren't similar things. They don't serve similar purposes. One is literally just a wire harness, the other is an actual computer.

The EVTV device can have software loaded onto it. Which means you can write software to do whatever you like, The device can be set up to capture CAN data and forward it over WiFi to a listening device, can be set up to pass some data through to a second connector, can be set up for logging, or you can write software to do whatever you like.

What it can not do is pass data through to the second connector at a high enough rate for proper data logging, it can not forward filters from the secondary connector to the primary, and it can not be a blind tap of the CAN bus unless you rewire it internally. It also doesn't preclude you from buying the CT20T1, using it to tap the CAN bus, and dangling the EVTV device off of it.

They aren't similar things. They don't serve similar purposes. One is literally just a wire harness, the other is an actual computer.

Thank you for your answer and it is what I thought. The EVTV device and the wire harness both use the SAME data, but the EVTV device has software built in for analysis and can be user programmed to provide user specific analysis. You just pay more for the extra customization capability, which is normal.

Thank you for your answer and it is what I thought. The EVTV device and the wire harness both use the SAME data, but the EVTV device has software built in for analysis and can be user programmed to provide user specific analysis. You just pay more for the extra customization capability, which is normal.

I guess what I'm saying is that the harness doesn't use any data. It's literally just wires and plastic. It just lets you plug a J1962 CAN adapter into the car while retaining the existing connections that the vehicle needs. But your interpretation of the EVTV device is correct.