Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using the "vent" feature during garage charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, newish poster...

Just picked up my Model YP this morning so there's a lot I'm still learning. I've searched through the forums and don't really see this discussed. I am using the supplied wall charger 110v to charge the vehicle and noticed the cabin temperature rising higher than the ambient temperature of the garage. I also noticed a "vent" button next to the temperature control on the climate control screen within the Tesla app. I didn't know if anyone was using this feature to vent out the interior heat during charging specifically if you park inside a garage. Or is this feature more for hot days? I didn't know if the cabin temperate rising was correlated to charging inside a garage.

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    761.9 KB · Views: 164
The photo shows the temperature inside the garage as 71F. Was it really that warm in Charlotte today? It there another heat source inside the garage such as a water heater?

A suggestion; if you are going to use the Gen2 Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla Model Y vehicle for daily charging then get a cable organizer such as this one from Tesla or similar on Amazon. If you scroll down to photos 2 thru 4 you will see that the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics brick) is mounted with the included bracket to the wall so the weight of the Mobile Connector and charging cord is not pulling on the receptacle or power plug.

Cable Organizer

The photo shows the temperature inside the garage as 71F. Was it really that warm in Charlotte today? It there another heat source inside the garage such as a water heater?

A suggestion; if you are going to use the Gen2 Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla Model Y vehicle for daily charging then get a cable organizer such as this one from Tesla or similar on Amazon. If you scroll down to photos 2 thru 4 you will see that the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics brick) is mounted with the included bracket to the wall so the weight of the Mobile Connector and charging cord is not pulling on the receptacle or power plug.

Cable Organizer
Yeah it reached low-mid 70s today! Had to run the a/c to get comfortable! There is no other heat source in the garage but it usually stays comfortable in there regardless of the weather outside. On a positive note the cabin temperature has since equalized with the ambient temperature. Good call on the cable organizer. I didn't realize how much cable was there until I unpacked and plugged it in. Currently it's coiled on the floor in front of the wall plug 🙈

Yeah it reached low-mid 70s today! Had to run the a/c to get comfortable! There is no other heat source in the garage but it usually stays comfortable in there regardless of the weather outside. On a positive note the cabin temperature has since equalized with the ambient temperature. Good call on the cable organizer. I didn't realize how much cable was there until I unpacked and plugged it in. Currently it's coiled on the floor in front of the wall plug 🙈
The charging cable laying on the floor can be a trip hazard. A cable organizer neatly handles it.

If the 120V receptacle is more than 5 years old or if you are unsure and the house is older than that just replace the receptacle. If it is a GFCI type receptacle then only replace with another GFCI receptacle.

If you purchase a receptacle then spend a few dollars extra for a contractor grade receptacle. These are better quality that than the bulk stock item receptacles sold loose in bins in hardware stores, etc.

When installing the receptacle always use the screw down terminals on the sides of the receptacle to connect the wires. Never use the push in connections on the back of the receptacle as these are not adequate for charging an EV.

Once you have the Mobile Connector set up with a wall mount bracket and cable organizer try and minimize unplugging the Mobile Connector as repeated plugging and unplugging will loosen the connection with the plug.

• Helpful
Reactions: sandbagged
Long time lurker, newish poster...

Just picked up my Model YP this morning so there's a lot I'm still learning. I've searched through the forums and don't really see this discussed. I am using the supplied wall charger 110v to charge the vehicle and noticed the cabin temperature rising higher than the ambient temperature of the garage. I also noticed a "vent" button next to the temperature control on the climate control screen within the Tesla app. I didn't know if anyone was using this feature to vent out the interior heat during charging specifically if you park inside a garage. Or is this feature more for hot days? I didn't know if the cabin temperate rising was correlated to charging inside a garage.
Looks like the climate control is actually on and set to 73 - if that is actually a screen shot of the car while it was charging.... AFAIK the cabin wouldn't normally heat up during charging.

Oh, and thanks for actually trying to find an answer to your question by searching! Many new folks simply post a question without doing so, leading to multiple threads on the exact same topic.... Welcome!