Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using two or more gen 2 HPWCs in load sharing configuration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello,
If you are a HPWC load sharing household, what is the max current, in amps, do you get out on any one charger, if that is the only charger connected at the time. Please specify what size breaker (e.g., 60 amps) feeds power to your system. Thanks for sharing.

For reference, I'm on a dedicated 60amp line; one that now feeds two HPWCs. When I only had one HPWC, this setup allowed for 48amps of charging. Now, the most I can get with any one charger (connected to only one car) is 39 amps. Why is this? The wiring is top notch and over-kill (4 AWG for 60 amps, etc.).

I have the same setup - two HPWCs sharing a 60A circuit. I just went out and tested each car to make sure - and, as expected, each got to 48A.

The cars are a Dec 2017 X 100D, and a Nov 2018 3 Performance.

I didn't do the wiring; it was done by Alive Electric around Feb 2019. They had done plenty of Tesla chargers before, but said mine was the first load-sharing pair, and they were very interested in learning how it worked.

I have the same setup - two HPWCs sharing a 60A circuit. I just went out and tested each car to make sure - and, as expected, each got to 48A.

The cars are a Dec 2017 X 100D, and a Nov 2018 3 Performance.

I didn't do the wiring; it was done by Alive Electric around Feb 2019. They had done plenty of Tesla chargers before, but said mine was the first load-sharing pair, and they were very interested in learning how it worked.
@ChadS Thanks for sharing!

Hello,
If you are a HPWC load sharing household, what is the max current, in amps, do you get out on any one charger, if that is the only charger connected at the time. Please specify what size breaker (e.g., 60 amps) feeds power to your system. Thanks for sharing.

For reference, I'm on a dedicated 60amp line; one that now feeds two HPWCs. When I only had one HPWC, this setup allowed for 48amps of charging. Now, the most I can get with any one charger (connected to only one car) is 39 amps. Why is this? The wiring is top notch and over-kill (4 AWG for 60 amps, etc.).
I have two Gen 2's on a single subpanel each on their own 100A breaker then the subpanel is wired to a single 100A breaker on the main panel. I tied the two HPWC together with a twisted pair data connection. It is a pretty great set-up with the current split evenly unless one car wants less than half of the 80A, then it gives the other car the difference up to its maximum capability.

I have two Gen 2's on a single subpanel each on their own 100A breaker then the subpanel is wired to a single 100A breaker on the main panel. I tied the two HPWC together with a twisted pair data connection. It is a pretty great set-up with the current split evenly unless one car wants less than half of the 80A, then it gives the other car the difference up to its maximum capability.
Yes, I love the set up as well! Plaid on one, and MYP other the other!

Reactions: blodg1