Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone waiting for the 2nd gen Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the 2021 version is coming out next spring, with heated steering wheel, double-panel glass, newer battery, what's the point to order now? Any suggestion?
If you order now you get the laminated glass already. I think if you’re always looking for the next best thing you may be waiting always. Why not wait for the year after next and get even more? I’ve ordered mine now and I can’t wait to get it :)

Because in the Spring, there'll be rumors of an Autumn update with 5G, 5 (maybe 6) wheels, steering wheel deleted, and the ability to self drive from coast to coast. Better wait for that.

FWIW, the laminated (not double-pane) vehicles are already in production and in customer hands.

Just the new battery alone is worth waiting, plus some other small improvements

As a long time Tesla owner, I will tell you that waiting for a rumor will make you old and carless. My Model S P85D was going to be replaced with the Plaid. Rumor said the Plaid was going to be 2020, then Musk said late 2021. From experience, I know that means late 2022, so I ordered a MYP.

Reactions: jsight and sleepies
I definitely don’t want to wait forever, but I really really like my current heated steering wheel... tough decision. I doubt they will do a “ refresh” anytime soon though on the y.

All the one's coming out of the factory today are marked as 2021s. They will just be adding stuff throughout the year on most of their vehicles for 2021 marked vehicles.

Do your research on what is currently offered at the corresponding price and whether you would be extremely happy with it or not. If you will be happy, buy now. If not, wait it out. However Tesla won't be announcing any dates so there is no telling what comes out when. Could be one month, six months, 2 years, or never since you are operating on rumors.

Reactions: sleepies
If you order now you'll likely get the incremental battery improvement using the existing cells, laminated windows, and integrated rear castings. Perhaps even the single piece rear casting.

If you order in a few months you'll probably get a redesigned center console, USB-C in the glovebox, a quality flash drive for security video, etc. But you'll hold off for the heat steering wheel, the HEPA cabin filter, etc.

If you wait to order when those are available, you'll hear about the single piece front casting, better battery, seat massage, and array headlights.

And then it will be the air suspension.

And so on.

We don’t know how the new battery tech will happen. Will we get a smaller battery pack with the same range? Lowers cost and weight yet still identical performance.
I don’t see the new battery coming to the 3 or Y anytime soon. Cybertruck alone can use up all the supply for a while.

We don’t know how the new battery tech will happen. Will we get a smaller battery pack with the same range? Lowers cost and weight yet still identical performance.
I don’t see the new battery coming to the 3 or Y anytime soon. Cybertruck alone can use up all the supply for a while.

The new battery size doesn't seem likely, but we know that the existing cells are getting minor improvements. It doesn't take too many 2% improvements to make a major difference.

"Panasonic has already developed technologies resulting in a more than 5% increase in the energy density of “2170” cells. From September, the firm will start converting lines at its factory in Nevada that it operates with Tesla as it prepares to further boost the energy density of the cells, Takamoto said."

Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive

The new battery size doesn't seem likely, but we know that the existing cells are getting minor improvements. It doesn't take too many 2% improvements to make a major difference.

"Panasonic has already developed technologies resulting in a more than 5% increase in the energy density of “2170” cells. From September, the firm will start converting lines at its factory in Nevada that it operates with Tesla as it prepares to further boost the energy density of the cells, Takamoto said."

Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive

Correct, small improvements that will total upto around 20% within a couple years. It’s also working to cut cobalt usage and lower cost. It’s another case as well tho we may end up with smaller kwh battery’s and keeping everything in line where it is now. With Ford coming in with a car now Tesla also has the goal to keep running at production capacity and at some point price will need to come down to keep people from looking elsewhere (instant gratification). If it wouldn’t be for efficiency at this moment and the supercharger network I may very well have considered the Mach-e.