TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone want VIN number 8?!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by acarney, Dec 30, 2019.

1. acarney

acarney Active Member

2017 Model 3 | Tesla

Seriously though, I've never seen a lower VIN show up on Tesla's used store. Was the first customer car VIN 1, or do you think Tesla kept a couple or sent a couple off as press cars? This very well could be even closer to being the first customer car that rolled off the line... Absolutely not a bad price for FSD and the long range pack with that few of miles! Wonder if those few miles is because it was sitting at a service center most the time with problems... ;)

• Like x 3
  2. RC2785

RC2785 Member

#2 RC2785, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Vin 8 will also come with the alcantara interior, but that also means you get the older seats. It was most probably an employee's car. Looks like there is also a scratch on the door.

3. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

#3 gaswalla, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Great find!
    Unfortunately with Tesla, the vin number is positively correlated with quality (higher vin = more learning = higher quality)

4. Ssmtsx

Ssmtsx Member

Weird..it says it has the sport wheels but the pictures show the Aeros?

5. acarney

acarney Active Member

For sure, but for someone that wants to get as close to "Tesla History" with one of the first Model 3's this might be a fun find for them. It's hard to imagine this was the 8th car built!

6. RayK

RayK Active Member

I'd rather have 007.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. jordanair45

jordanair45 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD

If I had the pockets I would buy this and keep it stored. Awesome car. A part of history for sure

8. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

A July 2017 car with 4,313 miles on it? I know...it was owned by a little old lady who only took it to the grocery store once a week.

I’m sure there is a story behind this car with that low of a mileage on it.

• Like x 2
  9. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

I'd buy it if I didn't already have a Model 3. 8 is a lucky number for Chinese and black is the most popular car color in China. This car will sell quickly.

• Informative x 2
  10. boriszima

boriszima Member

Yep, buy it and sell it in China for profit.

11. RayK

RayK Active Member

Repaint it red first.

• Funny x 1
  12. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I'm almost certain this is more than a regular employee car, didn't Tesla deliver the first 10 3's to special people?

I'd imagine the first 10-50 VIN's were given to investors and other high-level people.

13. RayK

RayK Active Member

And why does it still have V9.0 software (2019.12.1.2)?

14. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

If it's anything like my 2017 RWD that Tesla bought back from me, they left it sitting in a lot for MONTHS without plugging it in and let the battery totally die. I know because they took over 6 months to remove it from my account so i could see what it was doing in my phone app.

So it probably hasn't been well cared for at all, unfortunately.

15. RayK

RayK Active Member

Well, it's still covered by the balance of the original warranty so there's that....

• Like x 1
  16. rDunivin

rDunivin Member

I have been looking at some model 3's and a used S considering which will hold its value best.

Maybe I should just get this and leverage the Vin down the road :p

Sound like an awful idea?

17. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

way too expensive for a 3 year old car.

• Like x 2
  18. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

True!

Idk, it's the LR RWD which is incredibly efficient and can get like 350 miles of range PLUS it has FSD and the sport wheels and full premium interior...that's not too shabby. Not really that many different features compared to today's car, so really it's just the mileage. I sold my blue LR RWD with about 5K miles, aero wheels and no FSD to Tesla for about $45K in Sept 2018.

Though the suspension, seats and other small tidbits are older revisions compared to today's car.

19. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

isn't a new AWD like 55k USD?

20. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Basically, i just priced this car as an AWD and got $58.5K, plus tax and fees. It's definitely an older car and has some older parts (suspension/seats) but the fact that it's THIS old kinda offsets that with the bragging rights. Saving that $14K for the big battery is kinda nice too.