Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone who went from a P90DL to a P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car upgraded from P90D to P100D and the 100 is much faster at all times! To get technical, as you can see from the quoted chart below the P100D makes more power at 55% charge then the P90D does at 100% charge. From my testing the P100D pulls over 1740 amps in regular ludicrous mode without max battery selected vs the P90D V3 in its fastest mode with max battery on and 100% charge which pulls just over 1600 amps...

Wow! That difference is even bigger than what I felt like from my short test drive of a P90D.

Also on the the range discussion my P90D with V3 battery when new at 100% charge was 272 miles and 244 miles at 90% vs when I had the swap done at 21K miles it was 263 Miles at 100% and 238 at 90%

The P100D is 316Miles at 100% and 284 miles at 90%

Here is a version of the previous graph from Old Man Mike with an overlay of the newer cars by comparison.

Looking just at Max Power though will overstate the difference between the cars. Some of the higher speed ranges about which Evil Twin was asking the power is limited by the motor's Back EMF characteristics, not the Max Power setting, although knowing that the P100D has 10% higher current, it will be somewhat higher, maybe just not 10%.

Get the 100. Like @Tech_Guy showed, it has more power at all times, you just perceptually (and physically) notice it the most when accelerating on the highway. Supercharges faster, has more range, solid battery (improved cooling) and the number just looks cool :)

After 1.5 years of ownership and about 15,000 mi on the odometer, went from 315/284 to 314/282 at 100%/90% SOC.

Reactions: Evil Twin
I had my car upgraded from P90D to P100D and the 100 is much faster at all times! To get technical, as you can see from the quoted chart below the P100D makes more power at 55% charge then the P90D does at 100% charge. From my testing the P100D pulls over 1740 amps in regular ludicrous mode without max battery selected vs the P90D V3 in its fastest mode with max battery on and 100% charge which pulls just over 1600 amps...
This makes me so happy I decided to buy a P100D. This data is so helpful. Thank you!!!

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I think you are wrong. Typical is based on circa 300wh/m in a 90D and 330wh/m in a P90D. 242 miles at 330 is circa 80kwh, if it was meant to be 270 miles it would be 89kwh and the 90 battery has never had that capacity available.

I’ve owned both

Here's your Answer
This is from 10/27/18
IMG_7066.PNG

Reactions: panaut0lordv
Can someone respond to this question, which is a legitimate one.

They do not cover battery degradation thru their warranty. They would however have to cover the loss of performance, ie; kw/hp (If bad enough). Some have said they had gotten new batteries due to extreme battery degradation but that is completely up too Tesla to decide that since they made it clear from the start that battery degradation is not covered under warranty and will happen no matter what overtime.

TY for the response. I'm a new P85D owner. What is the best way to evaluate battery health and any degradation of performance. Right now it seems my MS performs, well, awesome. But, I have nothing to compare it to.

TY for the response. I'm a new P85D owner. What is the best way to evaluate battery health and any degradation of performance. Right now it seems my MS performs, well, awesome. But, I have nothing to compare it to.

You can down load the power tools app too see what kind of performance your getting. I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate but still a good tool to use. For P85D in insane mode at 100% SOC 450kw would be the best you could get. So anything around 450kw would mean your car's performance hasn't degraded at all. As far as mileage I believe the P85D gets 253 miles of range new. So charge too full and see how many miles you have lost. Having the P85D is basically identical to the P90D except for the V3 battery P90D. So you should be happy to know you made a good choice going with a P85D. No need for ludicrous as it will not help performance much at all.

I had a 2015 p90DLudi for 3 years and just turned it in for lease end and got a 2018 p100Dludi in its place. I did not expect to feel much of a difference. I was very wrong. It is significantly faster. I can feel it at all speeds. At highway passing speeds it is unbelievable. The other features that come with it are really nice also. They let me have one over the weekend to test drive and see if I wanted to make the upgrade. So I was able to drive them back to back and see if what I was feeling was real.
I was hesitant and wanted to wait and see when they make updates to the interior before getting one. Anyway, very happy with it.

And at 100% charge the P90 shows 270miles, at 25k miles and 3 years there was no degradation to the battery on mine.