Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wishing the dash had some kind of light at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for a week and love it. Took it for my first night drive and found the dash "sullen" with no light. It was the first time I found myself glancing through my steering wheel for that old-style dash console, a little light to brighten things up. I like the effects of the footwell and side pocket lights, but having the entire dash in darkness will take some getting used to. Just seems too dark. I kept imagining a subtle glow along the vent line across the dash. Anyone heard of a mod along these lines?

I remember seeing a "Tron" style light/ambient lighting that went across as a blue strip. It went inside of the AC vent and only cost a few dollars (plug into USB port). However, the wires do show when you try to route it up and the longevity of the lights are questionable. I considered it but it does seem to have a tacky look.

You could always attach some LED strips inside the vent area for some ambient lighting.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all. Lights just affect your night vision. If anything, I'd just swap out the ambient lighting LEDs down in the footwells for some brighter ones.

I've had my Model 3 for a week and love it. Took it for my first night drive and found the dash "sullen" with no light. It was the first time I found myself glancing through my steering wheel for that old-style dash console, a little light to brighten things up. I like the effects of the footwell and side pocket lights, but having the entire dash in darkness will take some getting used to. Just seems too dark. I kept imagining a subtle glow along the vent line across the dash. Anyone heard of a mod along these lines?

video here:

discussion here:
r/teslamotors - Tesla Model 3 - EL-Tape Illuminated Air Vent Installation Guide

But there was someone else (here?) who did this earlier. I just saw this posted today on Reddit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte
It freaked me out a few times at first - thinking I left the headlights turned off.
But now I am totally used to it, and don't miss having lights in front of the wheel.