Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with 275/30/21's on stock 9.5 rear wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Looks like I'll be due for new tires soon and have been contemplating switching the OEM staggered rear tire size of 265/35/21's, for slightly wider and slightly less profile tires- 275/30/21's.

Don't need speculation on ride quality or rims cracking....just real world feedback. I come from a sports car back ground, so would appreciate a slightly stiffer ride and wider tire. My stock setup on Turbine 21's/air suspension/low setting feels very cush.

Pics would be amazing....haven't been able to find anything via search.

Thanks,
- Zishan

If you find the stock 21s "very cush" then your axe to grind is probably with the stock air suspension. The plus suspension from earlier cars is much stiffer and corners very flat. I've heard the raven cars' suspension is on par or better. My car has the plus suspension, I run 245/40/20, and the car feels pretty darn responsive, not floaty or vague. For reference, my other car is a Miata with a lot of suspension work and summer tires.

What tires are you running? I'm assuming you are already running a more aggressive summer compound? The S is fun to drive and its limits can be relatively high on sweeping curves, but I find it understeers when you really push it, and that's with a square setup. I would personally not want more rear tire.

I have not yet experimented with lowering links and whether they can make the car handle differently. They do increase camber which can increase your cornering limits, but I don't think it affects the effective spring rate of the air spring.

No axe to grind really, just stating I don't mind the riding being slightly firmer due to the shorter rear sidewalls.

So looking at the possibility of switching over to 275's. Doubt the ever so slightly wider rear tires will have any notifiable effect. Sidewall might be noticeable to me.

Mainly concerned with the look and if the slight change in ratio will have any adverse effects on traction control, speed sensors, or anything related to the awd set up.

Size 1 265/35R21
Size 2 275/30R21

Diameter
-2.8%
Width
+3.8%
Sidewall
-13.5%

275 is the absolute maximum width you can 'safely' use on a 9.5 inch wheel, so yes it's feasible. I don't see an issue with what you proposed.

I don't expect you'd have any issues with the AWD - you'd only have a 1% difference in diameter front to back.

This is my car with 245/35 and 285/30......so, almost identical diameter in the rear, just slightly different width. Again, no rubbing or issues with AWD or anything of the sort.

IUWgtkd.jpg

Last edited:
275 is the absolute maximum width you can 'safely' use on a 9.5 inch wheel, so yes it's feasible. I don't see an issue with what you proposed.

I don't expect you'd have any issues with the AWD - you'd only have a 1% difference in diameter front to back.

This is my car with 245/35 and 285/30......so, almost identical diameter in the rear, just slightly different width. Again, no rubbing or issues with AWD or anything of the sort.

IUWgtkd.jpg

That looks like Bel-Aire area?

IUWgtkd.jpg

This is a good point, I was looking at the overall change from 265 to 275's being 2.8%, which made me feel a little nervous.

If I had none staggered wheels, and 245/35/21's on the rear....changing to 275/30/21's will result in a 1.1% change. That makes me feel more comfortable.

To follow up, I finally got around to buying new tires. Ended up switching to Arachnid wheels, now back to Turbines which needed tires, so bit the bullet.

I LOVE the look of 275/30/21's vs the 265/35/21's. The change aesthetically is very subtle, but I like subtle.

20210720_152811.jpg

20210720_180805.jpg

20210720_180750.jpg

Correct, 2000 NSX, pre-fixed headlights, but NA2 motor/trans, with fixed headlight conversion and widebody kit.

And geez, looking at these pictures, I'm embarrassed how disgusting and dirty my driveway looked!!! 🤮

It's been power washed since, I assure you! :)
Its nice either way! And a collectible! Haha i can see you started to power wash the driveway in the picture lol