Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with a "D" model and 20" aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my 70D last week and am looking to use the OEM 19" wheels for dedicated snow tires (Michelin X-ice) and get some 20" wheels for summer driving with dedicated high performance summer tires. The 20" choice is a compromise of driving performance, appearance, and durability with the awful Chicago roads over the 21" set up.

My question is that there is a really limited supply of 20" high performance, XL load rated tires that will exactly duplicate the overall wheel/tire diameter of the 19" OEMs. I think Continental and Bridgestone might have a 245/40/20 in a high performance summer tire.

Does anyone know how the AWD will react if the diameter of the wheel/tire is slightly larger?

I'm in the same boat and have heard mixed things. I was originally looking at going with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires but its looks like about 50% of people experience some rubbing when turning all the way. Personally, I'll be going with the Continentals for my summer tires.

Nurburgring with Pilot Super Sports in 20"
The rev/mile are almost in the center of the staggered stock 21s.
No rubbing other than the stock center of the front wheel arch rub when reversing. A hot air gun and 20 seconds fixes this (both stock and aftermarket 20s that I am using - rub is the same).

Nurburgring with Pilot Super Sports in 20"
The rev/mile are almost in the center of the staggered stock 21s.
No rubbing other than the stock center of the front wheel arch rub when reversing. A hot air gun and 20 seconds fixes this (both stock and aftermarket 20s that I am using - rub is the same).

Sorry to be dense: but are you also saying that rubbing occurs with the stock 21's in the front?

Yep, my P85 and P+ both rubbed on the fiber type inner fender well up front when turning the wheel while backing. I believe I have seen others post about it and one of those members mentioned the heat gun fix which worked for me as well. It also makes sense that my tires would clear in a similar way as the stock Tesla set ups as the revs/mile are very similar (which does not necessary make the diameters the same but they should be close).

I just checked my notes on tire selection and found this-
"I’m using the following PSS255/40ZR20 10.2 section width /10 tread width porsche variant $402 tire rack - Tread depth is 9/32” rotating diameter is 28” and 742 rev/mile
There is another variant of this exact PSS tire size but the section width is 10.2” while the tread width is 9” (rounding shoulders) $373 Tread depth on this version is 10/32”

My notes also indicate that the 245/35ZR21 PS2 has a 749 rev/mile while the 265/35ZR21 PS2 is 735 rev/mile

Running 20" Nurburgring wheels on Pilot Super Sports on my P85D similar to Lolachampcar. My former P85+ had more severe rubbing with stock 21s when backing up with an extreme turn. 20's can get a very mild rub under just the right circumstances backing up. Sound noise increases about 5-10% over stock 19s (subjective of course), but very acceptable. Mileage comparable to 19s-- the Nurburgring wheels are lighter than stocks which may contribute to keeping the efficiency in check.

As a plus, the PSS are really sticky, minimize roll, and roll over 21" killing potholes, metal road plates, etc.. Plan to rotate stock 19" Primacy tires on it in the winter-- at the last possible minute.The PSS are very, very well suited for the P85D IMO.