TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone with a MX in the Reno/Tahoe area?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DarkHelmet, Aug 21, 2018.

1. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Member

im looking for someone that may want to make a little money, and help me decide if this is a feasible family replacement car.

I commute to San Fran 2-3 times a month for work (airline pilot), and while I think I can make it work with SCs and free charging at our private lot... I’d like to actually do it and test it out. The rocklin shop gave me one to test drive for a day and I love it, but I still want to execute the round trip to see for myself.

If you’d be willing to rent your car for a few days, shoot me a message.

2. spectrum

spectrum Member

3. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Member

I checked out turo but I can’t contact the owner (or at least I haven’t figured out how).

4. spectrum

spectrum Member

Turo is a service and not necessarily a place to meet people. Cars listed on it are usually available to rent at the times designated.

You just go ahead and rent the car at the time that works for you. Then you can contact the owner and coordinate. You have 1 hour from when you book the car to cancel for no fees. Cancellation policy

Once you cancel, you can continue to speak with the owner.

5. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Good idea I paid $400 rented a car for two days, learned about it and bought the car after. Since you have the Sierra Nevada, I still think you have to charge one time both ways. Going to sfo you should charge at Vacaville and coming home in Sacramento. You should have a 100d and that way you can avoid the 100% charge

• Informative x 1
  6. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Member

When I had the test drive (MX 100D on 20’s), I left my house at 240miles of range and the car said it would make the airport with about 20 miles of range left (it’s 225 miles). I’m at 5500’, gotta go over the top at 7400’ and it’s all downhill (literally) from there. There was about a 20 mile stretch where I actually gained back five miles. I’m pretty confident it would make it going. Home... no way. I can charge it at work but I’d still have to hit Rocklin for about 20 minutes. When I did the test drive I left with about 210 in range, got home with about 80.... so it used 130 miles of range to go 109 miles uphill. WAY better than I expected and I definitely wasn’t driving easy (that instant torque is addictive).

SolarCity is installing a 5.85kw system on my house and I’m going to have a lot of over production I need to pump into something... just trying to justify the cost over our currently paid off but in good condition family wagon.