Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with an aftermarket auto-trunk had their trunk harness replaced through the recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondered if anyone with the Hansshow/EVoffer auto trunk on their Model 3 had their trunk harness replaced under the recall.

The part is fairly easy to change yourself it seems now I know exactly where the problem is but wondered what Tesla would say if they go to fix it and see the auto-trunk installed. I think it would make the fix very slightly harder as the wiring goes through the same rubber tube where the original wires kink and break.

My trunk harness failed and I replaced it myself, so I'm going to submit a claim to Teslas recall system - they'll pay me back for the part.
Then I just plan to get a mobile service tech to give me the new harness to install myself.

My trunk harness failed and I replaced it myself, so I'm going to submit a claim to Teslas recall system - they'll pay me back for the part.
Then I just plan to get a mobile service tech to give me the new harness to install myself.
Might be easier for those with aftermarket auto trunks to swap themselves.

Was it fairly straightforward to do?

That’s a great question. re is tesla going to hassle those that have installed these aftermarket trunk openers? The wiring for the opener runs right through the same exact wiring conduit that is supposedly causing the problems with the rear view camera. Will they not do the work? Will they show up, see that it is not factory and allow the part to be left with the vehicle owner?

Update - EV Offer have posted this note below.

I spoke to them as well for more details. Essentially they recommend 1) removing the wire running through the rubber conduit and plugging the original wires up back in where they were and 2) putting the original latch back on before Tesla do the fix. Then 3) put these things back and 4) optionally replace the wire than runs through the conduit as per the advice on the link. However this doesn’t seem to be needed, they said if the condition of this wire is fine then no need.

Your trunk will not fully latch properly while in this state (eg driving to the service centre) and if necessary can be manually opened and closed without damaging the electric struts. Raymond from EV Offer couldn’t remember off the top of his head if doing the above would mean you need to open and close manually but it is not a problem if so.

So a bit of a pain but doable and good they have some basic advice on this.

But still now sure what Tesla will say or if they want to kick up a fuss.

If anyone with an auto-trunk kit from Hannshow or EV Offer (Aka Tesla Offer) have the recall work carried out with or without the above advice from EV Offer, do let us know here.

Reactions: aspec818
I was at the service center picking up new repeater cams - and the service advisor was willing to give me the new harness until he realized they didn't have any in stock.....
The service advisor also didn't realize this was a recall. He seemed to think it wasn't even a service bulletin yet.....

I don’t have an aftermarket kit installed, but curious to see what affected drivers are seeing with this failing wiring harness.

Are you noticing any lag/stutter with the feed or is the backup camera blank/intermittent? Just want to make sure if my backup cam experiences are linked to this issue at all.

I don’t have an aftermarket kit installed, but curious to see what affected drivers are seeing with this failing wiring harness.

Are you noticing any lag/stutter with the feed or is the backup camera blank/intermittent? Just want to make sure if my backup cam experiences are linked to this issue at all.
On opening the trunk, the screen goes back for about half a second as it moves up. I expect this is due to the issue the recall explains. It is a very sharp bend in the wires where the problem occurs.

Happy to swap myself too if Tesla provide the part.

Or if Tesla are happy to do themselves too with my EV Offer auto-trunk, fine too. If anyone with one has the issue fixed, let us know.

On opening the trunk, the screen goes back for about half a second as it moves up. I expect this is due to the issue the recall explains. It is a very sharp bend in the wires where the problem occurs.

Or if Tesla are happy to do themselves too with my EV Offer auto-trunk, fine too. If anyone with one has the issue fixed, let us know.
You're lucky. Usually when the car loses a camera stream it doesn't bother bringing it back. Or maybe they fixed that bug....

Perfect, I was able to replicate the issue by opening and closing the trunk. Looks like my car is definitely affected by this so hopefully this should fix my other backup camera related issues too

Update - EV Offer have posted this note below.

I spoke to them as well for more details. Essentially they recommend 1) removing the wire running through the rubber conduit and plugging the original wires up back in where they were and 2) putting the original latch back on before Tesla do the fix. Then 3) put these things back and 4) optionally replace the wire than runs through the conduit as per the advice on the link. However this doesn’t seem to be needed, they said if the condition of this wire is fine then no need.

Your trunk will not fully latch properly while in this state (eg driving to the service centre) and if necessary can be manually opened and closed without damaging the electric struts. Raymond from EV Offer couldn’t remember off the top of his head if doing the above would mean you need to open and close manually but it is not a problem if so.

So a bit of a pain but doable and good they have some basic advice on this.

But still now sure what Tesla will say or if they want to kick up a fuss.

If anyone with an auto-trunk kit from Hannshow or EV Offer (Aka Tesla Offer) have the recall work carried out with or without the above advice from EV Offer, do let us know here.
Seems like a lot of work. I have a mobile appnt tmrw but I’m thinking of putting this off until more users have their harness addressed from Tesla.

i asked mobile service today for the harness to install myself but he said it falls on him if something goes wrong after i replace it. Totally understandable. i guess if you want the harness you can try to grab it when you're at the service center for other issues. but we agreed it wouldn't hurt to wait until i experience backup issues to deal with the recall then.

In Service today for upper control arm replacement. Trunk harness recall was listed to be done as well. I notified service I have aftermarket electric
trunk opener installed. I requested recall not be done if it would conflict with aftermarket unit.
Service said it did conflict so they did not perform recall on harness.