Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with ev01+ 18” wheels for M3 performance could share their actual added range miles, please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HeIIo, I am talking about the ev01+ wheels but if anyone could share their experience with other 18” for range that would help too. I see many posts about 18” wheels being added to performance m3 with good rolling tires but never the added miles they actually get (whether what they calculated in real life or even if the estimated miles in “charging“ at full charge may not be what we get in real life too) I would still like to know either desperately. This is a big deciding factor on getting a LR or P in my case! Thank you in advance.

@Tesoso I have an easier time reaching EPA rated efficiency on my 2021 M3P with 18x8.5" wheels than I did with the stock 20x9" Uberturbines. I *don't* have a consistent driving pattern, and I did *not* attempt any kind of controlled experiment to compare, so I can't give you any precise comparison numbers. But I'm certain I gained some efficiency.

M3P factory setup: 235/35R20 280TW Pirelli PZ4 (Tesla-spec) on 20x9" ET34 Tesla "Uberturbine" cast wheels
New setup: 245/45R18 300TW Bridgestone Potenza Sport on 18x8.5" ET35 Titan7 T-S5 forged wheels (*not* aero)

Both tires are in the same "max performance" tire category, and the new ones have more grip. It's possible the new tires have better rolling efficiency too but I kind of doubt it, they stick really well for a street tire. I think all the efficiency gain was from:
1) Taller sidewalls / shorter spokes probably helps aerodynamics
2) Lighter wheels ought to help with acceleration and braking efficiency

I wasn't seeking better efficiency at all, I was just hoping not to lose any. I needed more sidewall for better wheel protection the roads I drive on, which I know from experience can crack big Tesla OE cast wheels wearing skinny tires. The efficiency gain was an unexpected side benefit.

The smaller wheels + new tires ride better, grip better, feel better, are cheaper, and are much less likely to crack or go flat from bad roads. And no loss of steering precision at all that I could feel with stock suspension+bushings. Basically it's 100% upside besides aesthetics. Yes the 20" M3P wheels are bad in every functional way, but don't let that scare you, just swap them out, no big deal. (I do think the 20" Uberturbines look awesome. They're like concept car wheels, for better and for worse. I was a bit sad to take them off but the change was totally worthwhile.)

I'll note that if you want maximum efficiency then of course you should pick a tire like the MXM4 in 18" (what the base M3LR comes with), but those grip and feel like s***. That's the fault of the tire, not the sizing! For me a good performance tire in 18" is the right tradeoff.

I put EV01+ on my car with Michelin PS4 tires. The actual range improvement with my driving habits changed by 7.5% or 21 miles total. This is averaged over the last 4000 miles. I can now get EPA rating consumption numbers if I try, but I’ve actually been trying to drive it every bit as aggressively with these new wheels in an effort to get consumption numbers that aren’t artificially low.

If I were doing it over again I would have put PS4S tires on instead of the regular PS4. I don’t treat my 3P like it’s a sports car, but I do find that I sometimes miss the grip and steering precision I had with the factory Pirellis.

What I don’t miss is being able to hear and feel every little pebble on the road.

@Tesoso I have an easier time reaching EPA rated efficiency on my 2021 M3P with 18x8.5" wheels than I did with the stock 20x9" Uberturbines. I *don't* have a consistent driving pattern, and I did *not* attempt any kind of controlled experiment to compare, so I can't give you any precise comparison numbers. But I'm certain I gained some efficiency.

M3P factory setup: 235/35R20 280TW Pirelli PZ4 (Tesla-spec) on 20x9" ET34 Tesla "Uberturbine" cast wheels
New setup: 245/45R18 300TW Bridgestone Potenza Sport on 18x8.5" ET35 Titan7 T-S5 forged wheels (*not* aero)
I have heard of titan 7, and good to hear its working out! Thank you for the reply!

I put EV01+ on my car with Michelin PS4 tires. The actual range improvement with my driving habits changed by 7.5% or 21 miles total. This is averaged over the last 4000 miles. I can now get EPA rating consumption numbers if I try, but I’ve actually been trying to drive it every bit as aggressively with these new wheels in an effort to get consumption numbers that aren’t artificially low.

If I were doing it over again I would have put PS4S tires on instead of the regular PS4. I don’t treat my 3P like it’s a sports car, but I do find that I sometimes miss the grip and steering precision I had with the factory Pirellis.

What I don’t miss is being able to hear and feel every little pebble on the road.
I also in a way don’t want to treat it as a sport but just be able to when I can or who knows I might do it a lot when I do get it >;) but when you added 21ish miles did that reflect on your charging page after you calibrated or set the tires to 18” if it let you in the service options or you were able to calculate yourself? Lastly, is yours a 2021? I will be getting a 2021 and the LR has 350 vs 2020 310. I was wondering if a 2021 performance would gain more closer to 350 with 18”. Sorry if anything I said is incorrect, I didn’t get to do this in person yet just from what I saw in videos.

I was wondering if a 2021 performance would gain more closer to 350 with 18”.

@Tesoso The range difference between M3LR AWD and M3P with PUP is entirely from the wheels+tires - hopefully that answers your question. In theory different brakes and spoiler could certainly impact drag too, but Tesla has optimized those for minimal drag, by all accounts they're not an issue.

If you put the same wheels and tires on an M3LR AWD and M3P with PUP of the same vintage, and drive them together in the same manner, you should see the same efficiency (besides possible car-to-car variance having nothing to do with LR vs P).

Back when Tesla offered "stealth" (unofficial name) M3P without the PUP, it was (I've been told) EPA rated for exactly the same efficiency/range as an M3LR of the time. ("Stealth" M3P have the M3P's extra power and Track Mode, but not the PUP upgrades. So wheels, tires, suspension are same as M3LR, there's no spoiler, etc.)

Now in the real world you probably won't find anyone reporting M3P with PUP efficiency numbers that 100% match a base M3LR with 18" aeros because:
1) Most M3P drivers will stick with performance tires (or winter tires when needed), even if they downsize the wheels.
2) Most M3P drivers will use the M3P's extra power on occasion (actually using the quicker acceleration is less efficient).
3) An M3P driver would have to seek out aftermarket 18" aero wheels that fit and there's not many options, in fact the EV01 is the only one I know of. Most don't bother / don't prioritize this and get non-aero wheels if they change wheels at all.

But in theory if you put EV01 18" aero wheels on an M3P with PUP, and run the same tires as an M3LR AWD, and avoid using the M3P's extra power...you should see almost exactly the same efficiency. YMMV vary of course. :)

Hopefully if you go this route you'll have some drives/days where you don't need to care so much about max efficiency. Otherwise, if you're going to run 18" aeros and efficiency-minded tires and drive slow all the time...might as well save money and buy an M3LR. ;)

Last edited:
@Tesoso The range difference between M3LR AWD and M3P with PUP is entirely from the wheels+tires - hopefully that answers your question. In theory different brakes and spoiler could certainly impact drag too, but Tesla has optimized those for minimal drag, by all accounts they're not an issue.

If you put the same wheels and tires on an M3LR AWD and M3P with PUP of the same vintage, and drive them together in the same manner, you should see the same efficiency (besides possible car-to-car variance having nothing to do with LR vs P).

Back when Tesla offered "stealth" (unofficial name) M3P without the PUP, it was (I've been told) EPA rated for exactly the same efficiency/range as an M3LR of the time. ("Stealth" M3P have the M3P's extra power and Track Mode, but not the PUP upgrades. So wheels, tires, suspension are same as M3LR, there's no spoiler, etc.)

Now in the real world you probably won't find anyone reporting M3P with PUP efficiency numbers that 100% match a base M3LR with 18" aeros because:
1) Most M3P drivers will stick with performance tires (or winter tires when needed), even if they downsize the wheels.
2) Most M3P drivers will use the M3P's extra power on occasion (actually using the quicker acceleration is less efficient).
3) An M3P driver would have to seek out aftermarket 18" aero wheels that fit and there's not many options, in fact the EV01 is the only one I know of. Most don't bother / don't prioritize this and get non-aero wheels if they change wheels at all.

But in theory if you put EV01 18" aero wheels on an M3P with PUP, and run the same tires as an M3LR AWD, and avoid using the M3P's extra power...you should see almost exactly the same efficiency. YMMV vary of course. :)

Hopefully if you go this route you'll have some drives/days where you don't need to care so much about max efficiency. Otherwise, if you're going to run 18" aeros and efficiency-minded tires and drive slow all the time...might as well save money and buy an M3LR. ;)
The thing is the price point for an LR and P are so similar for my situation I was going to pay the little extra for a P, as well for the fun (and having that underline show just tempts me too which is a perhaps idiotic reason too but I desire it >:) ) Regardless, great answers all around for my first post that I really needed to ask, thank you everyone!

I also in a way don’t want to treat it as a sport but just be able to when I can or who knows I might do it a lot when I do get it >;) but when you added 21ish miles did that reflect on your charging page after you calibrated or set the tires to 18” if it let you in the service options or you were able to calculate yourself? Lastly, is yours a 2021? I will be getting a 2021 and the LR has 350 vs 2020 310. I was wondering if a 2021 performance would gain more closer to 350 with 18”. Sorry if anything I said is incorrect, I didn’t get to do this in person yet just from what I saw in videos.

The increased range does show on the range estimate in the screen, but I don’t remember if it was instantly changed when I changed the wheel setting. I think I remember it changing some but not as much as I expected.

What I’ve done to track the change is reset one of the trip meters at the time that I installed the smaller wheels, making a note of what the average consumption was before the change so I could compare later.

Before the change my car had 16k miles with an average efficiency of 293 Wh/mile. Now it has 4K miles on the Trip A meter at 273 Wh/mile.

82kWh / .273 = 300 miles
82kWh / .203 = 279 miles

My car is a 2021, yes. I never got anywhere near what the EPA rating is for these cars before going down to 18” wheels. I like to think that the EV01 aero covers are a big part of that, but from what I’ve seen lurking in multiple places all over the net reading about aftermarket wheels on Teslas, the aero covers might not make as much of a difference as the simple step down in tire size. I’ve even started thinking I should have bought PS4S because the tire compound doesn’t really seem to have much effect on range. My next set of tires will probably be PS4S and then maybe I can see for myself.

The increased range does show on the range estimate in the screen, but I don’t remember if it was instantly changed when I changed the wheel setting. I think I remember it changing some but not as much as I expected.

What I’ve done to track the change is reset one of the trip meters at the time that I installed the smaller wheels, making a note of what the average consumption was before the change so I could compare later.

Before the change my car had 16k miles with an average efficiency of 293 Wh/mile. Now it has 4K miles on the Trip A meter at 273 Wh/mile.

82kWh / .273 = 300 miles
82kWh / .203 = 279 miles

My car is a 2021, yes. I never got anywhere near what the EPA rating is for these cars before going down to 18” wheels. I like to think that the EV01 aero covers are a big part of that, but from what I’ve seen lurking in multiple places all over the net reading about aftermarket wheels on Teslas, the aero covers might not make as much of a difference as the simple step down in tire size. I’ve even started thinking I should have bought PS4S because the tire compound doesn’t really seem to have much effect on range. My next set of tires will probably be PS4S and then maybe I can see for myself.
thanks so much for the exact numbers! the extra 20 miles sounds great. And yes, replacing the tires may give more mileage as well. I was planning on the michelin primacy mxm4 as that is the default on the LR and heard it’s good for the range as well but maybe there’s better. Im surprised that the cap is 300 miles when the LR 2021 m3 is EPA at 350!? I will have to see what my LR says on the max charge on the charging screen when I can I can inspect it, I am really curious.... Thanks again!

thanks so much for the exact numbers! the extra 20 miles sounds great. And yes, replacing the tires may give more mileage as well. I was planning on the michelin primacy mxm4 as that is the default on the LR and heard it’s good for the range as well but maybe there’s better. Im surprised that the cap is 300 miles when the LR 2021 m3 is EPA at 350!? I will have to see what my LR says on the max charge on the charging screen when I can I can inspect it, I am really curious.... Thanks again!
You are very unlikely to get the mileage that shows on the charging screen under any configuration.

Reactions: Sellout and Tesoso
You are very unlikely to get the mileage that shows on the charging screen under any configuration.
It be true, yes. But I do just like to know. In the end I would be looking at my trip and kw/m and end up calculating myself. But the charging screen estimate is something that will help when I inspect the LR and P that are arriving soon. I sooomewhat like to believe it but at worse case scenario it lies to me about 50 miles and usually 20 miles I’d say. It depends I think.

It all comes down to my driving style. I can probably get 400+ miles of range out of it if I could just set the cruise control at 20mph and drive straight for 400 miles on flat ground.

Nobody gets EPA rating out of these cars unless their driving conditions and style closely match the EPA’s laboratory testing. It’s the same with EPA gas mileage ratings in ICE cars. I got 30 MPG out of my C6Z06 one time. Just to see if I could. The rest of the time I was getting between 13 and 19 mpg.

HeIIo, I am talking about the ev01+ wheels but if anyone could share their experience with other 18” for range that would help too. I see many posts about 18” wheels being added to performance m3 with good rolling tires but never the added miles they actually get (whether what they calculated in real life or even if the estimated miles in “charging“ at full charge may not be what we get in real life too) I would still like to know either desperately. This is a big deciding factor on getting a LR or P in my case! Thank you in advance.
FastWheels has a video on youtube where they tested the wheels in isolation, but tires are the bigger factor.
Also keep in mind the EPA range is a combined city/highway range. Which is dumb, but that is how it is, currently. Highway is all we care about mostly when it comes to range, and it will be less.

Reactions: Tesoso
To give an example of the efficiency you can get with non-aero 18s and "max performance" tires...the other night I was within 1% of 2021 M3P EPA rating (car config still set for the Uberturbines) while cruising at 70-73 mph average for 35+ miles of mostly flat highway. I had TACC set to 72-73mph, would occasionally slow down for traffic or speed up to pass, but overall traffic was light and I largely maintained the set speed. I didn't use the trip computer, I just glanced at my 15 and 30 mile efficiency numbers as I was nearing home and realized I was almost spot on with the EPA "combined" rating.

For all I know maybe I had some tailwind, plus I was only driving one direction, it wasn't a controlled experiment, etc. But I never saw that efficiency at 70+ mph with the Uberturbines.

Reactions: Tesoso
To give an example of the efficiency you can get with non-aero 18s and "max performance" tires...the other night I was within 1% of 2021 M3P EPA rating (car config still set for the Uberturbines) while cruising at 70-73 mph average for 35+ miles of mostly flat highway. I had TACC set to 72-73mph, would occasionally slow down for traffic or speed up to pass, but overall traffic was light and I largely maintained the set speed. I didn't use the trip computer, I just glanced at my 15 and 30 mile efficiency numbers as I was nearing home and realized I was almost spot on with the EPA "combined" rating.

For all I know maybe I had some tailwind, plus I was only driving one direction, it wasn't a controlled experiment, etc. But I never saw that efficiency at 70+ mph with the Uberturbines.
70ish mphis the ideal speed I want, I had to suppress myself to 60-69(giggity) with a sr+ I had that had battery degradation for a 120+ mile round trip daily/bi daily and it was not cutting it. That is when I decided a Lr or p was needed for me And here I am. I digress though, even with performance 18” tires but with Ev01+ wheels it sounds efficient- just the thought of the “added” range With range efficient tires!