Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with experience trading in their M3 for an MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be trading in my Model 3 for a Model Y pretty soon and I'm wondering if anyone else has done it. I'm just curious about the process and have some concerns:

-Do I just drop it off? Do I "wipe" it clean of data first? Do they look at it at all?
-Should I keep some components for resale? (eg Hub caps, charging accessories, floor mats)
-My car is well over the kilometre quote from last time and it has a tiny rock chip in the glass roof. Will the reappriase it when I go to pick up my model Y?
-My M3 is being financed and I've since made payments on it. Will the final balance be recalculated upon pickup?
-Am I allowed to pay any balance by cheque?

Thanks in advance!

1. Drop it off as long as it same in the pictures they don't care. (Literally I threw them the keys and they walked inside and I took my new Tesla home and that was that)
2. Whatever is in the pictures you sent them. I had my hub caps off and that's how they took it.
3. No (I was told all cars go to a auto auction)
4. You will get a credit if you are paying more than the initial quote. I got a check in the mail from my old lender a few weeks after taking delivery.
5.Yes you can pay with a personal check and write the RN# on the memo section.

I did a contactless delivery at Fremont trading in my 2018 M3 RWD. When I got in the car to go to the delivery center I got a notice that my premium connectivity (grandfathered) was disabled. When I tried to wipe the data I found that I couldn’t because the car was no longer connected to my account. Basically when they notified me the MY was ready to pick up they took complete control of my trade in.

I was offered 31k from Tesla for trade in. I got a quote from Carvana and sold my 3 for 500$ less than I payed for it after rebates. Just sold it Saturday for 39,500$. If Carvana is in Canada check them out. Took 5 minutes once the person showed up.
2019 SR+ Red 19" White interior.

I was offered 31k from Tesla for trade in. I got a quote from Carvana and sold my 3 for 500$ less than I payed for it after rebates. Just sold it Saturday for 39,500$. If Carvana is in Canada check them out. Took 5 minutes once the person showed up.
2019 SR+ Red 19" White interior.

How long did the process take you from the time you submitted the verification documents on the website? I'm supposed to trade my model 3 on a model Y tomorrow afternoon. Wondering if I could get an agreed deal with them prior to then?

Carvana bought my SR+ 2019 19" White/Black with regular Autopilot. It was a pretty straight forward process, and their offer was a few hundred less than I paid for it new. I submitted the sell request on a Monday, and got the final offer approval that Friday. (it would have been faster if I would have called them on Wednesday or so to push it along. They appear to be super busy.) They picked it up on the following Tuesday, handed me a check for the difference (I owed much less than they bought it for), and my loan was paid off by the end of the week. So all in all about a 2 week process.

Carvana bought my SR+ 2019 19" White/Black with regular Autopilot. It was a pretty straight forward process, and their offer was a few hundred less than I paid for it new. I submitted the sell request on a Monday, and got the final offer approval that Friday. (it would have been faster if I would have called them on Wednesday or so to push it along. They appear to be super busy.) They picked it up on the following Tuesday, handed me a check for the difference (I owed much less than they bought it for), and my loan was paid off by the end of the week. So all in all about a 2 week process.

What did you guys do about performing a "factory reset" and/or removing the car from your Tesla account and removing all of your personal information from the vehicle before he drove away?

What did you guys do about performing a "factory reset" and/or removing the car from your Tesla account and removing all of your personal information from the vehicle before he drove away?

It is a pretty simple process, and how I did it may not be the "right" way or even needed. I first deleted any attached phones, homelink profiles, navigation saves, etc. I also made sure to logout of Google , Netflix, YouTube, etc. Then I did a factory reset.

At that point it is completely factory.

Once the car was "sold" I removed the premium services sunscy, and removed the Tesla from my account.

How long did the process take you from the time you submitted the verification documents on the website? I'm supposed to trade my model 3 on a model Y tomorrow afternoon. Wondering if I could get an agreed deal with them prior to then?
Get a quote online and upload what they ask plus the vehicle configuration and a picture of the screen on startup. You should then call them and they can approve you right then on the phone. Could possibly save you thousands. If you already submitted documents online then call them. They are too busy to have a quick turnaround without you pushing them.

Carvana gave me a quote that was ~ $3k lower than Tesla's quote. Just putting it out there that Carvana may not be the best game in town for value...maybe they are for ease of use though.
Carvana quoted me $10000 less than Tesla was offering (yes, ten thousand dollars). I guess they REALLY don't want Teslas in the Bay Area.

I listed it on Craigslist for the heck of it. Within 20 minutes, I had several offers sight unseen. Ended up selling it for $4000 more than Tesla's offer. The handoff was simple. I deleted all the personal info first, then did a factory reset while we were counting the cash. As soon as he drove off, I deleted the car from my account. I was very concerned about selling it on CL, but the process was simple and worry-free.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I am thinking of doing something similar here in Toronto (although I am considering leasing a Y, in which case, a trade in with Tesla would not make any sense) but the offer Tesla gave me is about $6K or $7K less than what I have seen a similarly equipped car go for on AutoTrader; but the tax advantage of trading the car in to Tesla is close to that same delta and it would be far easier to do the trade in (unless of course I lease, in which case a third party sale would be the better solution).

Just finished doing this...

We had a '18 TM3 LR RWD, FSD in Midnight Silver with Black interior with 23,500 miles.

Tesla offered $36,700. With sales tax savings on the trade-in that would equal a value to us of $38,781.25.
Carvana offered $34,580. Then a week later they offered $33,501.
Vroom offered $36,500.00. Then a week later they offered $37,000.

We listed at $44,500 on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, and OnlyUsedTesla. Got only spam from Craigslist, one response from Autotrader, one from Cars.com, and three from OnlyUsedTesla. Sold it to an acquaintance for $42,500 two weeks later. The final sale price was several thousand lower than any used TM3 LR RWD listing on Tesla.com and $5,000 higher than any other offers.

Now we wait for the Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
Carvana quoted me $10000 less than Tesla was offering (yes, ten thousand dollars). I guess they REALLY don't want Teslas in the Bay Area.

I listed it on Craigslist for the heck of it. Within 20 minutes, I had several offers sight unseen. Ended up selling it for $4000 more than Tesla's offer. The handoff was simple. I deleted all the personal info first, then did a factory reset while we were counting the cash. As soon as he drove off, I deleted the car from my account. I was very concerned about selling it on CL, but the process was simple and worry-free.
Did they really pay in cash? I've never sold privately before so I wasn't sure how people usually paid when it's a larger amount.

Cancelled my MY Q3 order yesterday here in California because the Tesla Trade on my M3 was OUTRAGEOUSLY low. Carvana and Carmax were $3k higher (still way too low) and mentioned a -$4000 price adjustment based on my Silicon Valley zipcode. Today I got a call from Tesla encouraging me to reorder and that they had "price adjusted" MYs available for immediate delivery... $2000 off as they're "fleet cars with only a couple thousand miles on them." She also suggested using Shift.com as they gave her Dad the best price on his M3. I explained that I also had concerns about build quality so would prefer a custom build. Interestingly enough, Shift.com will not buy used M3s citing "local pricing is too volatile". She even said that if I placed a new order, while I couldn't get my $100 refunded, she'd speak to her manager about a $100 merchandise credit.

Did they really pay in cash? I've never sold privately before so I wasn't sure how people usually paid when it's a larger amount.

They paid in "cash" -- as we did when we purchased, so the title was clear both ways. Since we knew them, we were ok with a cashiers check and we just met at the DMV to transfer the title. If it was someone unknown, we would have used an escrow service or done the deal at the bank where we could verify that the electronic transfer was deposited into our account, then hand them the signed title. At least in Texas, you can have the DMV validate the title as you do the deal so you know it's legit.

Had they needed a loan, their bank or credit union would typically handle the transaction for them. We hand their bank the signed title and they hand us the payment (via electronic transfer). If we had a lean holder on the car, our bank/credit union will typically handle the transaction for us. We sign off as owner, the bank/credit union signs off as lean holder, and then the bank/credit union sends the signed title over to the new owner or the new owners bank/credit union.

Pretty simple, and each party saves a few thousand.

• Helpful
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I ended up going the carvana route at the last minute and couldn't be happier. Process was ridiculously easy and smooth. They offered $5,200 more than Tesla was going to give us on a trade in Denver. No brainer. Highly highly recommend carvana if the numbers are good in your area.