Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with FSD or just purchased FSD and got scheduled (MCU2)?

Have you been scheduled for the MCU2 Infotainment upgrade (if you want it)?

• Yes - originally purchased FSD (HW3) with the car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - purchased FSD after purchasing the car (HW3)

• Yes - purchased FSD just now since hearing about MCU2 upgrade, have HW3

• Yes - purchased FSD just now since hearing about MCU2 upgrade, have HW2.0

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I got the work done last week. It was the first one they did at the NoVA Tyco service center, and turnaround was 24 hrs flat. MCU2 is super snappy and to me it was worth the money. I had an MCU1/HW2.5 and scheduled via the app maybe a day after the announcement came out, in addition to a couple of other issues w/ my X. They must have planned well for this roll out and send the parts out ahead of time b/c everything happened within about a week (scheduling and install). I'm happy that there's a way for us owners to keep enjoying new features of the car without losing tens of thousands $ flipping cars!

Reactions: GNFO
peteyswift, mine must have been done right after yours. Did my 2017 MX last Friday at the same SC. I scheduled it on Monday and brought it in at 8:30 AM that Friday. They had it done by 2 PM that day. Agree that the display is much more responsive. Only issues were that they accidentally cracked a trim piece (automatically scheduled mobile service since they didn't have the part on hand), and I discovered that I couldn't unlock the car or open the trunk/frunk remotely from the app. Apparently they didn't reset the "Remote Security Detector". Mobile service will do that when they fix the trim piece.

So, they send you an email invite
That’s what Tesla told me
I’m waiting for hw3 on my 3 and want to update my wife’s 6/17 x to hw3 and mcu2
Yeah - never got an invite for the HW3 update to our 2018 MX, and didn't get an invite for the MCU2/HW3 update to our 2017 MX. I just went ahead and scheduled them in the app and they took the 2018 last December and took the 2017 last week. Worst that can happen to you is they cancel the appointment.

peteyswift, mine must have been done right after yours. Did my 2017 MX last Friday at the same SC. I scheduled it on Monday and brought it in at 8:30 AM that Friday. They had it done by 2 PM that day. Agree that the display is much more responsive. Only issues were that they accidentally cracked a trim piece (automatically scheduled mobile service since they didn't have the part on hand), and I discovered that I couldn't unlock the car or open the trunk/frunk remotely from the app. Apparently they didn't reset the "Remote Security Detector". Mobile service will do that when they fix the trim piece.

Omg, I’m having the same issue with the app not being able to unlock the car! Posted about it in another megathread in the Model S forum and got some nice suggestions. I scheduled another appointment for it but had to cancel. What specifically should I tell them about it b/c they didn’t seem to know when texting me for the previous appointment. Thx!

Omg, I’m having the same issue with the app not being able to unlock the car! Posted about it in another megathread in the Model S forum and got some nice suggestions. I scheduled another appointment for it but had to cancel. What specifically should I tell them about it b/c they didn’t seem to know when texting me for the previous appointment. Thx!
I guess they're still learning how to do this. I would use those words: reset the "Remote Security Detector", and describe what you can and cannot do in the app. If it's the same problem, which it probably is, when you hit "unlock" in the app it indicates that the car is unlocked, but it really isn't. Also, when you use the app to open the trunk or frunk, it actually shows the trunk open for a few seconds before sensors tell it that it isn't open and then updates the car picture to show it closed. Other than that, all the other functions in the app work (climate control, charging/charge port control, etc). I saw a different post from over a year ago that indicated keyless driving won't work either. Kind of hard to test that, though, since by definition you wouldn't have the key fob and would have to also use the app to unlock the car, which you can't.

The words "Remote Security Detector" actually came from Peter Sbily, the service manager at Tysons. His email said: "I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. The Remote Security Detector needs to be reset. I can schedule a Mobile Appointment for you to have this done." I had emailed them at [email protected]. While I think they used to be able to fix this remotely, they probably need to actually connect a laptop/tablet to the car now for security reasons.

@GNFO, thank you!
I guess they're still learning how to do this. I would use those words: reset the "Remote Security Detector", and describe what you can and cannot do in the app. If it's the same problem, which it probably is, when you hit "unlock" in the app it indicates that the car is unlocked, but it really isn't. Also, when you use the app to open the trunk or frunk, it actually shows the trunk open for a few seconds before sensors tell it that it isn't open and then updates the car picture to show it closed. Other than that, all the other functions in the app work (climate control, charging/charge port control, etc). I saw a different post from over a year ago that indicated keyless driving won't work either. Kind of hard to test that, though, since by definition you wouldn't have the key fob and would have to also use the app to unlock the car, which you can't.

The words "Remote Security Detector" actually came from Peter Sbily, the service manager at Tysons. His email said: "I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. The Remote Security Detector needs to be reset. I can schedule a Mobile Appointment for you to have this done." I had emailed them at [email protected]. While I think they used to be able to fix this remotely, they probably need to actually connect a laptop/tablet to the car now for security reasons.

My 3 had a recall on charging pins and I asked if they could install hw3 they owe me at same time. I also asked about my x
They said absolutely no. I must wait for the email when it’s my turn to upgrade both cars. There were thousands ahead of me.
Oh well, good things come to those that are patient.

Does anyone think the better Sentry Mode experience, with Recording and MCU VIEWER, is a good reason to pay $2500, for MCU2 Upgrade?
Well, all by itself probably not, but the MCU2 upgrade as a whole was worth it to me and many others. I haven't used FM radio for years and didn't really care about the "infotainment" part, so I don't really like that label. For me, I liked the fact that the upgrade added recording of the rear camera, the much faster map and browser response, avoiding eventual EMMC problems while also bypassing the yellow screen issue, better wifi and bluetooth capability, very likely enabling future software enhancements that haven't even been coded yet... The improved Sentry Mode/TeslaCam viewer capability is just one of many smaller improvements that made it worth it to me, but I recognize that "worth" is personal decision balanced by an individual's budget. Absolutely critical? No. Very nice to have? Absolutely.

Plus, my wife's Model X already had MCU2, so I wanted the same capabilities as her!

Does anyone think the better Sentry Mode experience, with Recording and MCU VIEWER, is a good reason to pay $2500, for MCU2 Upgrade?

Absolutely not. Sentry Mode still exists on a MCU1, it's just the recording. A good dash cam doesn't cost anywhere near $2500 - I picked up mine for $200, and yes Sentry Mode triggers it to record.

That being said, if you're on MCU1 you'll eventually upgrade to MCU2 it's just a matter of when does it fail.

I drive a 2017 model S which has a potentially faulty chip in it which a year ago Tesla emailed me to say they would replace it free when it fails.
Unfortunately I can't force them to do the replacement until it fails, though it has had occasional symptoms of failure - screen going black and needing to reboot randomly.
I have recommended Teslas to several of my friends who have bought them, and recently when I was showing the last one how to understand the various options in her car I discovered the DashCam Viewer. My car does not have that feature, and I thought it would be very handy to have so that when you get into your car and see that there have been four incidents you can quickly review them without having to take out the USB stick and view it on a computer.
So I set about trying to find out how to upgrade. Unfortunately Tesla in New Zealand is extraordinarily difficult to contact. Their only phone number is for emergencies and even that is answered in another country (Australia!). When I did manage to get someone to talk to they said I had to buy the "Infotainment Upgrade for $3,200! After four phone calls to the emergency department they gave me a link to the web page that described the Infotainment Upgrade. When I read the fine print I found that I would have to pay a further unspecified amount to restore FM (not AM) radio in the upgraded system, and then I also had to pay an even further amount to upgrade the computer from 2.5 to 3.0 for full Autonomous Driving (which I don't want) in order to use the DashCam Viewer in the Infotainment Upgrade.
The eventual (unitemised) cost is $4,065.04!!!
I found the whole experience extremely time consuming and was surprised at the complete lack of knowledge of the people that I dealt with over the phone.
If I had not read the fine print myself I would have spent $3,200 and ended up with no radio and unable the use the DashCam viewer, which was the reason for the upgrade in the first place!
Also there is no discount for saving Tesla from having to do this chip upgrade for free when the existing chip fails!

I know Tesla is renowned for its poor service but this is just ridiculous.