Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with manual access - any constant 12V in the cabin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't really want something always connected to the OBD port (I like my installs to be all wired-in without any unnecessary wires showing). As for searching FlatSix911, I did, nothing popped up (here or on google, go ahead, search "12V power at the convenience plug", or even "12V convenience plug" :) - all I found searching was OBD port and microphone grille). I know there is supposed to be a 12V source in the cabin somewhere, but I don't have access to the service manuals. Given that I'm running wires through the firewall already, I think I'll just tap one of the fuses using one of these.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't really want something always connected to the OBD port (I like my installs to be all wired-in without any unnecessary wires showing). As for searching FlatSix911, I did, nothing popped up (here or on google, go ahead, search "12V power at the convenience plug", or even "12V convenience plug" :)

- all I found searching was OBD port and microphone grille). I know there is supposed to be a 12V source in the cabin somewhere, but I don't have access to the service manuals.

Here you go ... :cool:

Ingineer said:

BTW, it's a simple matter to keep the 12v outlet in the console live all the time if desired. It's just a simple relay in fuse box #2 (the one on the passenger side under the removable cowling cover - see owner’s manual). Simply make up a jumper consisting of short piece of 14AWG or better wire with a couple of male 1/4" spade terminals.

Pull the front most passenger side relay out and insert the jumper into the now exposed 1/4" female receptacles, and you're done, the 12v outlet is now on all the time. You can quickly change it back anytime by removing the jumper and reinstalling the relay.

12v jumper 2.jpg

12V jumper.jpg

Thanks all! Useful info a bout which relay this is (something I would be able to look up easily if service manuals were available).

Good point about the lack of service manuals. The relay is easily removed and replaced as pictured above.

FlatSix911:
Thanks a bunch. This is the perfect solution for me. With the added bonus of easy reboots on my dashcam and safety in removing/inserting the memory cards.
John
PS I also thanked Ingineer.

Glad to help share the information. Ingineer came up with the mod.

Does anyone have a chart for the relays, I thought it would be on the fuse page. I assume the silver tank is the air tank for the air suspension?

I'm still trying to find a fuse diagram for the newer long/skinny/single fuse box in recent as well as the refreshed Model S -- anyone have a diagram?

The fuse and relay list is usually printed on the underside of the weather cover ... did you check this already?