Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with MCU2 and AP 2.5 still waiting on their HW3 retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
The retrofit threads have died down recently, and people with AP2.5 (and a few 2.0) are now getting MCU1 to MCU2 replacements that include the HW3 retrofits...

I bought FSD in spring of 2019 for my September 2018 X. I figured I would get my HW3 eventually if I need service or whatnot, so I hadn't bothered asking specifically to get it as there still really aren't any true HW3 specific features yet.

Just wondering if anyone else out there was still waiting on Tesla to contact them about being eligible.

Reactions: Gt1948
The retrofit threads have died down recently, and people with AP2.5 (and a few 2.0) are now getting MCU1 to MCU2 replacements that include the HW3 retrofits...

I bought FSD in spring of 2019 for my September 2018 X. I figured I would get my HW3 eventually if I need service or whatnot, so I hadn't bothered asking specifically to get it as there still really aren't any true HW3 specific features yet.

Just wondering if anyone else out there was still waiting on Tesla to contact them about being eligible.

Tesla is not contacting owners. You would need to reach out first. You should put in a service appointment just for the HW3 upgrade.

• Informative
I read that they just rejected those.

They will reject it if your VIN is not due for the upgrade yet. But they will accept it if your VIN is ready for the upgrade. That is how I got my HW3 upgrade a month ago. Tesla did not contact me when my VIN was due for the upgrade. I put in a service appointment request in January and it got rejected but they told me to put in another request in 4 weeks. So I submitted another service appointment via the app in early March and Tesla accepted it. I took my car in to the service center and got the HW3 upgrade.

I've got a 2019 MS with MCU2/AP2.5. I got rejected for the first week of April when I submitted the upgrade request back in late March. However, I made another request 3 days later and used the updated Tesla FSD page as a reference and asked when can I get the upgrade? Lo and behold, they accepted my upgrade request and just asked 7 days to get the hardware shipped to the SC. I'm going in tomorrow for my upgrade.

And just to clarify, to date there really aren't any HW3 specific features out yet correct? I can see cones now on my 2.5 hardware so I'm not really sure what HW3 would get me above what I already have.

Just wondering if it's worth my time to go out of my way to set an appt, drive down, leave the car etc. If there's still no real reason to have it I'll continue to wait.

And just to clarify, to date there really aren't any HW3 specific features out yet correct? I can see cones now on my 2.5 hardware so I'm not really sure what HW3 would get me above what I already have.

Just wondering if it's worth my time to go out of my way to set an appt, drive down, leave the car etc. If there's still no real reason to have it I'll continue to wait.

Does 2.5 see traffic lights, stop signs, guard rails, etc?

3.0 does.

We put in a service request for our model 3 and checked the “other “ box for reason for service and. Then wrote HW3 upgrade. Worked well and we were in for service about 2 weeks later. My reasoning is why wait until the really good features come out and then EVERYONE tries to upgrade at the same time..

We put in a service request for our model 3 and checked the “other “ box for reason for service and. Then wrote HW3 upgrade. Worked well and we were in for service about 2 weeks later. My reasoning is why wait until the really good features come out and then EVERYONE tries to upgrade at the same time..

Well, often (but not always) the install process and/or hardware gets better over time. So if there's no reason to get it, what's the rush when a better version might be coming down the line...

Does 2.5 see traffic lights, stop signs, guard rails, etc?

3.0 does.

I currently have 2.5, see billions of cones, and certainly got a red light warning the other day....

Reactions: Silicon Desert

This is what Tesla put on their website about upgrades:

EUXv5EXVAAUh326

So looks like MCU1 cars might be starting their upgrades to HW3 in May.

This is what Tesla put on their website about upgrades:

EUXv5EXVAAUh326

So looks like MCU1 cars might be starting their upgrades to HW3 in May.
Meanwhile with our MCU1 HW 2.5. With PREPAID FSD Model X we are being told there is no date yet for those that will include HW3 even tho the lesser NON HW3 MCU2 upgrades are supposed to start as soon as 2 weeks from now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . What a $hit$how between Service Centers.

I was wondering. Why add cones and nothing else to 2.5. Is that cpu non-intensive? :D

Cones (and similar orange barrels) indicating closed or changes lanes aren't super rare on highways where AP is intended for use....so there'd be a fairly relevant functional reason to shown them if possible... stop signs there are a lot less common on freeways though so not much value adding that.

My 2017 S doesn't yet have the MCU2 upgrade. Since I'm out of warranty, I'm putting it off as long as possible to get as much life out of my MCU1 before getting the upgrade. It's not as if there is any real features I'm missing out on yet.