Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with passive key fobs for their 3, y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fellow Tesla folks,

Could ya'll run an experiment with me?

If you have the newer passive key fob for the model 3, could you try to remove it from active keys on the console and then try to use the key on the car, for passive and manual unlocking.

Tesla service says the key fob cannot be unpaired by the owner via the console.
It can look to be removed from the list but, will remain working.
Lets find proof to that claim.

🚙

Also true with the old key fob. I traded in my 2018 Model 3 to Tesla. They reset the car to factory settings and deleted all keys except for the key cards. grabbed my final items from the car and closed the drivers door and the car locked with key cards inside. I already lost access via my app. The tech said no worries they can remotely unlock the car to which I responded let me try my old key! It worked! I was able to unlock the car with my old key even though it was unpaired from the car...

My experience does not match with @GuyDude. I have the first version of the fob; non-passive. That means you have to press the button in the center to lock and unlock the car. Just being alongside the car will not allow the doors to open. It does have NFC, same as a keycard, which allows you to swipe / present the fob against the door pillars to operate. The fob can also be scanned by the armrest sensor.

I went out to my car with only the fob and keycard (my phone-as-key was still inside the house far away from the driveway). I opened my car with a keycard, got in and brought up the Locks menu. I deleted the fob from the list using the trash can icon, confirmed the deletion by presenting the keycard on the console and verified that it did not appear anymore. The fob then could NOT lock or unlock the car. From inside the car and outside. It was effectively disabled from use. I then added the fob back, again confirming the addition with the keycard, and it worked the same as before. I also got a confirmation message from the Tesla App that said a key was added.

I am on software 2022.12.3.2 if it makes any difference and waiting on installing 2022.16.3. I have four keycards registered and my Samsung Galaxy Xcover phone as well.

Reactions: kotter