Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with pics of 18" front and 19" rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't say I would recommend this. The Corvette runs a much larger diameter rear tire size than front and the ABS system is designed to deal with it. The Tesla is not and finding tires in 18 and 19" that are the same overall diameter is going to be very limiting.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Can't say I would recommend this. The Corvette runs a much larger diameter rear tire size than front and the ABS system is designed to deal with it. The Tesla is not and finding tires in 18 and 19" that are the same overall diameter is going to be very limiting.
These are listed at 23.3 and 23.4 Maybe close enough??? I could go with different brands front to rear and have both listed the same.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+(PZ4)&partnum=345YR8PZ4N1&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+(PZ4)&partnum=34YR9PZ4NA0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

In theory the wheel size changes and the overall diameter remains the same. It doesn't do anything. The car can't tell your wheels are different. The abs and traction control read revolutions and they stay the same.

I've driven with 19in in the back and 18in in the front. I've also driven with 19in and 18in on the same axel. Why? Because I've used an 18in aero wheel as a spare for flats. Nothing happened. I couldn't even tell something was different.

I am not sure why you would want to do that on purpose though??

Reactions: Lindenwood
I like that look on a corvette also, but it'd be annoying if the car gave you errors. Wider tires and maybe spacers in the back will give you a more aggressive stance at least. Those measurements might be close enough...try it and let us know! Where are you finding these different sized wheels?

In theory the wheel size changes and the overall diameter remains the same. It doesn't do anything. The car can't tell your wheels are different. The abs and traction control read revolutions and they stay the same.

I've driven with 19in in the back and 18in in the front. I've also driven with 19in and 18in on the same axel. Why? Because I've used an 18in aero wheel as a spare for flats. Nothing happened. I couldn't even tell something was different.

I am not sure why you would want to do that on purpose though??
I like the larger diameter on the back for looks.

AWD Tesla's don't have any mechanical connection between the front and rear drivetrains, so different size tires don't pose any problem other than possibly causing traction control to freak out. No idea how big a difference it takes to cause that though.
Yeah but that setup really only works well when the chassis is set up for it from the factory. There's only one pro and that's looks (which is debatable in this case on a sedan like this). The ride and handling is worse. Would be better off with a staggered setup with the same diameter wheels and even that's a handling downgrade. It always boils down to how much ride and handling you want to sacrifice for perceived appearance.

I think folks are stuck assuming the tires would be different diameters. It won’t be hard finding tires of diameters with no greater differences Front and Rear than those running staggered-width setups.

However, using different wheel diameters—especially smaller wheels up front—is 99% for looks (WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE). If it was for performance, the front wheels would actually be larger to fit larger brakes. The ONLY potential benefit would be if you wanted to increase the overall drive tire diameter to increase surface area (for heat management), but did not want to sacrifice tire responsiveness by increasing sidewall.

In any case, feel free to do it with your Model 3. Honestly it would probably look pretty good. However, you probably won’t get much favor because it simply isn’t common in this community (or almost any community).

Reactions: Krash and Tes3P
You know something else that looks cool? The wing on a Mclaren Senna. You know when it wouldn't look cool? If someone installed it on a model 3.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 8.41.03 PM.png

I think folks are stuck assuming the tires would be different diameters. It won’t be hard finding tires of diameters with no greater differences Front and Rear than those running staggered-width setups.

However, using different wheel diameters—especially smaller wheels up front—is 99% for looks (WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE). If it was for performance, the front wheels would actually be larger to fit larger brakes. The ONLY potential benefit would be if you wanted to increase the overall drive tire diameter to increase surface area (for heat management), but did not want to sacrifice tire responsiveness by increasing sidewall.

In any case, feel free to do it with your Model 3. Honestly it would probably look pretty good. However, you probably won’t get much favor because it simply isn’t common in this community (or almost any community).
But the Corvette community sure like the smaller front, larger rear on their cars. And there are a lot more of them than Tesla guys! I'll most likely go with 18" front and rear. They do look very good with black on a white car. And even a little more MPH battery life.