Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with Plaid experience city driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been thinking of upgrading from 2018 Model 3, however I live in NYC and have some concerns with Plaid.
Between the yoke & the lack of shifter, I'm curious how people are doing with the Model S Plaid...

My concerns would be particularly around-
* Lots of lane changes (weird button turn signals)
* Quick turns / navigating tight spots
* Trying to parallel park quickly (no D/R shifter)
* Handing car off to valets (again no D/R shifter)
* Seat any better than Model 3? Have had leg discomfort lately.

Mentally cross shopping versus the Taycan which is beautiful, nicer interior, interesting colors & options (Night vision for all the deer when I'm in the country) but.. slower, less cargo, questionable tech/software, lower range, and bad charging network.

• Informative
Reactions: onshi
It will be a different experience, and one that takes some getting used to, but a month after you get it, my bet would be that you wouldn’t go back to ‘round’. The blinkers for me have been the biggest challenge, I’m still not quite trained on them (I still have to look at the yolk to find them), but it’s getting much easier for me. If I made more of a conscious effort to ’learn’ them (without looking), I’m sure mastery would only take a few weeks. I’ve had my Plaid for 3 weeks now, but only have 200 miles or so on it. I do love it and I highly recommend one!

Reactions: SO16
I second the blinkers… my plaid s came with 2021.31.103 which has the horrendous 2 stage blinkers with soft touch and hard touch. No way it works as designed and I’m running out of patience waiting for an update to fix it. As for the yoke, been a week now and I’m completely used to it. I spin the wheel with one hand so there is almost no difference between yoke and round. Car should park for you so who cares about D/R switching? Plenty of leg room in it.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Have had the Plaid for over a month with 6100 miles on it. My car is running on 2021.36.5.1 and I assure you that Yoke and Turn Signals are not a problem at all. You get used to them within the first few hundred miles. After that it becomes second nature. I had a Model 3 for two years then a Model S 2020 and now a Plaid and I will never to back to any other car. Refresh Model S/X are the highest quality cars Tesla offers today. It's the most Tesla Tesla ever.
Once again Yoke and turn signals are a non-issue. I don't know if it has to do with age or the number of miles you drive in a day but after owning the car for a week I differed from the people making Yoke an issue. Get the car, you won't regret it

My concerns are probably less the yoke and more the blinkers/D-R shifter.

For those that say the car should park itself, you haven't lived in NYC :)
Tesla Model 3 parallel self-parking is 80% accurate in the 20% of NYC spots that are so luxuriously large I feel like I've won the lottery.
Even there its still 2-3x slower than me doing it myself.
Maybe the crazy D-R shifter change will slow me down to converge with the self parking speed?

If you haven't parallel parked in NYC, its hard to understand. Everywhere else my Model 3 is about 90% accurate in let's say 70% of spots.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Been thinking of upgrading from 2018 Model 3, however I live in NYC and have some concerns with Plaid.
Between the yoke & the lack of shifter, I'm curious how people are doing with the Model S Plaid...

My concerns would be particularly around-
* Lots of lane changes (weird button turn signals)
* Quick turns / navigating tight spots
* Trying to parallel park quickly (no D/R shifter)
* Handing car off to valets (again no D/R shifter)
* Seat any better than Model 3? Have had leg discomfort lately.

Mentally cross shopping versus the Taycan which is beautiful, nicer interior, interesting colors & options (Night vision for all the deer when I'm in the country) but.. slower, less cargo, questionable tech/software, lower range, and bad charging network.

I have had one for 3 months and was torn between the Plaid and a Taycan - love the looks of the latter but the trunk and tech lagged but it is a sweet car and I think probably handles better. That being said the Plaid is a great car and use it a lot - the only thing is the 21’s are deadly in potholes - but damn they look good! And I live in Dumbo and no issues - getting used to the yoke and the buttons etc takes no time at all - very intuitive and no complaints!

As much as I don't like the yoke (would be fine with close ratio steering), not having two stage blinkers and gear selectors are a deal breaker. I've gotten very used to be able to do multiple point back and forth with a flick of my finger without my hands leaving the steering will and my foot never touching the brake I do a quick 5 or 6 point turn.

Reactions: Dan_Foster