Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with Underglow? Pre-purchase install questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on purchasing an underglow kit from these guys. Does anyone else have an underglow kit installed on their Model 3? (either from them or any other kit)

Is it just a matter of connecting to the battery/ground? It's my understanding that the Model 3 doesn't have a fuse box (not sure if it matters).

Also, were you able to snake the wires through existing access points from under the vehicle through to the frunk to access the battery? And are there any existing access points to the cabin for the switch?

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a pic of my Model 3 that I'll be installing the kit on:

tesla-3.jpg

Reactions: lyncea
I went ahead and ordered the kit.

The kit just connects to the 12v battery.

There is supposedly a rubber grommet on the passenger side that goes from the trunk to the cabin, so I *should* be able to pass the kill switch through there.

I'll post pics when the kit arrives and I've had a chance to install it.

There is a pass through in the firewall on the passenger side, I’m pretty sure you’ll have to remove the frunk assembly to access it, but not 100% on it.

The kit looks awesome!!! I just hate hooking anything up to 12v - with all the aftermarket audio horror stories on here, I try to avoid it at all cost.

Def post pics and an install update when you get around to it, im interested!

Reactions: lyncea and Rothgarr
There is a pass through in the firewall on the passenger side, I’m pretty sure you’ll have to remove the frunk assembly to access it, but not 100% on it.

The kit looks awesome!!! I just hate hooking anything up to 12v - with all the aftermarket audio horror stories on here, I try to avoid it at all cost.

Def post pics and an install update when you get around to it, im interested!
Yeah, I'll need to remove the frunk tub to access the 12v battery. So hopefully, the pass-through will be obvious once I'm in there.

Normally I'd be concerned about hooking something directly up to the 12v battery, but since this has a hardware cutoff switch I think I'll be OK. I'm almost three years in on the 12v battery on my 2019 LR, so I'm tempted to replace it before I install the kit since I'll have access to it anyway.

@Rothgarr how did you get on installing this? I'm planning on punching a hole through the same grommet to directly connect an accessory (powered trunk), so interested to hear how you got on and what - if any - issues you experienced.
I literally JUST got my jack stands yesterday and a jack on Saturday. I'm hoping to get started on installing my kit this weekend (unless the wife's "honey do" list is really long...)

Reactions: Durzel
Looks good bro!!! What was so time consuming? The wiring?
To be more specific, the cable management is definitely what takes the longest. So many zip ties. The hardest part is the cables in each of the wheel wells that go from the from to the sides then the sides to the back.

Getting the car up on the jack stands took about 20 minutes and another 20 to get it down.

I also had to degrease under the car all the parts where I had to stick the lights and the little pieces to attack zip ties.

• Informative
Reactions: PauliePucks
To be more specific, the cable management is definitely what takes the longest. So many zip ties. The hardest part is the cables in each of the wheel wells that go from the from to the sides then the sides to the back.

Getting the car up on the jack stands took about 20 minutes and another 20 to get it down.

I also had to degrease under the car all the parts where I had to stick the lights and the little pieces to attack zip ties.
Great job. Looks awesome the hard work paid off

Reactions: Rothgarr
It looks great. Not something I would fit to my car (too introverted), but I'm surprised at how good it looks, particularly in that daylight video. Well done :)

How did you get on punching a hole through the rubber grommet (if that's what you ended up doing) for the 12v power?

It looks great. Not something I would fit to my car (too introverted), but I'm surprised at how good it looks, particularly in that daylight video. Well done :)

How did you get on punching a hole through the rubber grommet (if that's what you ended up doing) for the 12v power?
Thanks!

So, I didn't punch a hole through the existing grommet that already had two wires going through it. That rubber felt really hard. Instead, next to it there's a cap that covers the hole where the right-hand steering would go. I popped that out and went through that. I'm unfortunately not able to get that rubber cap back in place because it's so tight and my arms/hands don't fit. I'm hoping it'll be OK and that rain doesn't get in there -- I don't think it will because the rubber cap was very clean, no dirt/dust/grime, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks. I was hoping I could punch a hole through that grommet with a punch, but it sounds like I'd have to drill through it to have a chance of getting through. I have a RHD car, so that other hole would not be useable. Thanks for the update :)