Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with Underglow? Pre-purchase install questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple pics...

glow3.jpg

glow2.jpg

glow1.jpg

If you have any pics as to where you installed the LED strips on the underbody that would be most helpful ... doesn’t seem to be anywhere that would protect them when/if I bottom out ... especially in the front
My front splitter is hollow so I actually mounted the strips inside the bottom of the splitter. I've already bottomed out a number of times and the lights are untouched. Not sure what to recommend in your case. I wonder if you could use some sort of scrape guard product. I also have my side lights mounted to the bottom of the sideskirts (but those aren't hollow).

Looks great ... I have the same LowGlow set ... was wondering how did you route the wires from the frunk to the underbody (the Y splitter cable that connects at the front center of the vehicle)

Thanks
Travis
See the two pictures below. I ran the wire (you can see the wire) down where the arrow points. It opens up to the passenger wheel well. In the second picture I am shining a light from the wheel well to illustrate that there's a pass-through. From there I ran it down the wheel well to the front passenger corner of the bumper and then across to the middle of the front bumper. Cable management certainly requires some creative thinking.

IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I just got mine today! Any other tips for the installation? Looks pretty daunting with all the clips and routing the wiring. Hopefully it will hold up for the winter too since I daily drive my M3

@Rothgarr
Block out an entire day to work on it. Know that you will need to improvise some of it. I'm not sure I had to, but I disconnected the main battery when I connected the LowGlow to the 12v battery (and then re-connected everything before installing the lights and wires underneath the car). I think the most challenging part for me was getting the switch into the passenger compartment through the firewall -- I wound up removing the rubber piece where the steering would go through on right-hand models and cutting a very small hole to pass the wire through. I was able to lift the entire car up to install the lights and wires underneath -- makes a huge difference.

I had never installed anything like that before and I managed just fine. Looking forward to seeing yours! Have fun!

That looks really good. I thought about maybe doing it but then I wasn't sure because of how I've seen results of other light strips people have used and I remember many years ago when people were actually using Neon and the Fiasco that was.

I'm sorry, those pics are obviously photoshopped.
Nope, the lights are not photoshopped at all. Look at the video on page 1.

What I can say is that it was around 7:00 PM when I took those and it was actually raining. So while it appeared to be somewhat bright out, it was completely overcast in the evening and the lights are reflecting off the damp ground. My iPhone's white balance might also be doing some trickery on its own.

And while the lights are very bright, you are correct in thinking that if those pictures were taken during the day you wouldn't see a g.d. thing.

Reactions: sorphin
Hey whoever got lowglow on their model 3 what sizes did you get?
Mine is attached to all my ground effects so my measurements wouldn't fit on a stock Model 3.

But figuring out the lengths was easy. I took painter's tape and starter from the center front edge of the front bumper and taped it across and as close to the wheel well as possible. Then I taped the length of the side skirts. Then I taped from the center of the rear bumper to the wheel well. Then I took all three pieces of tape off and stretched them out on my garage floor and measured each one. That let me know that whatever size I chose could not be longer than the pieces of tape.

Fun fact, my two rear strips died after about a year, so I ordered new ones. I had originally gone with the longest size for the rear, but they were still short (remember, I have mine attached to my ground effects. So I actually wound up ordering two longer front strips to use in the rear.