Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wondering about the "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in the MidTown section of Miami and was told by someone (who should know) that Tesla is negotiating a lease agreement to install Superchargers in the Midtown Mall parking garage. This is separate from the Tesla store currently under construction a few blocks away in the Design District. He did not know which of the two MidTown Mall garages were involved or where in the garage they would be located. It's a logical placing of an SC, as there are many residential towers nearby but few charging stations.

I work in the MidTown section of Miami and was told by someone (who should know) that Tesla is negotiating a lease agreement to install Superchargers in the Midtown Mall parking garage. This is separate from the Tesla store currently under construction a few blocks away in the Design District. He did not know which of the two MidTown Mall garages were involved or where in the garage they would be located. It's a logical placing of an SC, as there are many residential towers nearby but few charging stations.
Thanks for the information.
Tesla's Find Us map lists two "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations. One is in the Wynwood area. Googling that area we find a huge Midtown parking garage right next to The Shops at Midtown Miami adjacent to I-95 between exit 2A & 2B.

Wynwood possible Supercharger.jpg

General Vicinity

Wynwood possible Supercharger vicinity.jpg

It looks like the very large garage outlined in red would be a great location for a Supercharger Station in Midtown Miami. There is also a nearby large garage outlined in blue further from I-95 that would also be a good location, but not as close to the I-95 exit ramps.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.
Tesla's Find Us map lists two "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations. One is in the Wynwood area. Googling that area we find a huge Midtown parking garage right next to The Shops at Midtown Miami adjacent to I-95 between exit 2A & 2B.

View attachment 237834

General Vicinity

View attachment 237835

It looks like the very large garage outlined in red would be a great location for a Supercharger Station in Midtown Miami. There is also a nearby large garage outlined in blue further from I-95 that would also be a good location, but not as close to the I-95 exit ramps.

Larry
What is interesting is that both parking garages are pay lots - this would be the first instance I've seen of having to pay to access a Supercharger. But then, that would encourage faster turnover at the chargers. The southern garage (blue in your photo) is closer to the Wynnwood neighborhood, but not really walkable. And access to/from I-95 and SR-112 is very slow, so I doubt these are intended to service long distance travelers. This SC and the one planned for the Brickell area might be intended for the many Model 3 owners renting apartments in the many buildings nearby that don't have access to chargers in their buildings.

What is interesting is that both parking garages are pay lots - this would be the first instance I've seen of having to pay to access a Supercharger. But then, that would encourage faster turnover at the chargers. The southern garage (blue in your photo) is closer to the Wynnwood neighborhood, but not really walkable. And access to/from I-95 and SR-112 is very slow, so I doubt these are intended to service long distance travelers. This SC and the one planned for the Brickell area might be intended for the many Model 3 owners renting apartments in the many buildings nearby that don't have access to chargers in their buildings.
in the few places where I've seen SpCs in pay to park lots, savannah, colorado springs, chatanooga, you are usually given the first hour of parking for free.

Very good points about so-called "Urban" Superchargers meant to address the needs of multi-unit dwellings. However, your point about the lots being pay lots is probably a strong reason as to why these may not be what we are looking for, but as kort677 points out perhaps the first hour of parking would be free.

Larry

Moderators note:

On this thread we discuss where we think the new "Coming Soon" Superchargers are going and the pros and cons of various locations. As we confirm the actual locations via photos or other authoritative sources, I will move those confirmation postings to their own thread to monitor actual progress of the installation.

I have moved the Sarasota confirmation postings to:

Location of "Coming Soon" Supercharger in Sarasota confirmed

Larry

Does anybody have insight about the Brickell, Wynwood and Aventura Supercharger locations? I have watched permits from time to time but have seen nothing. Now that the Miami Service Center is actually happening it seems logical that those Superchargers would be on the way soon too.

Despite the long wait for some locations it's notable that Tesla has added more than 100 new installations so far this year. Given Miami-Dade Model 3 backlog, rapidly increasing Tesla tourism and the critical role those three locations have for both I'd think they'd want those installed well before the winter rush.

With I-95 now very well covered Maine to Marathon, and the other N-S routes
I-87, I-85, I-81, I-79, I-75, I-57 all now complete or under construction it is now easy to drive any Tesla from any major northern city between Quebec City and Chicago to anywhere in Florida with all Supercharger and almost zero planning. This year is the first time that could be said. Thus I think we'll have major influx of Quebec, Ontario and Nirthern US Teslas this year.

I made this observation in Florida Superchargers, but Destination chargers, other Level 2 and CHAdeMO have all had large increases in the entire draw. Area for us in Florida.

What should we do to be ready and welcoming?

give everyone some fresh squeezed OJ?
what would you suggest?
I suspect some kind of contact with tourism offices in major tourist routes offering BEV and Tesla-specific materials might be a good start. We'd probably need some type of printed materials including references for all manner of charging options. It is surprising how many BEV drivers don't know how to use PlugShare, and how many are unaware of Destination Chargers and hotel/restaurant options. I wonder if we might convince Tesla and tourist offices to install Destination Chargers.

Really I don't know how much is needed. OTOH, lots of Northerners probably knew nothing about the myriad Whole Foods, Publix, Baptist Health and municipal options that have appeared since the last season. We might even get some of those to help.

The question probably is how many of us have time to devote and how many might have money to help too. I have more of the latter than the former.

I suspect some kind of contact with tourism offices in major tourist routes offering BEV and Tesla-specific materials might be a good start. We'd probably need some type of printed materials including references for all manner of charging options. It is surprising how many BEV drivers don't know how to use PlugShare, and how many are unaware of Destination Chargers and hotel/restaurant options. I wonder if we might convince Tesla and tourist offices to install Destination Chargers.

Really I don't know how much is needed. OTOH, lots of Northerners probably knew nothing about the myriad Whole Foods, Publix, Baptist Health and municipal options that have appeared since the last season. We might even get some of those to help.

The question probably is how many of us have time to devote and how many might have money to help too. I have more of the latter than the former.
I hate to sound so cynical but they visitors just by virtue of their making a long drive to FLA are probably quite well versed into how to find places to charge. you're ideas are well meaning but why would I contribute money to such an endeavor?
one thing that should be done is to consider adding charging pathfinder signs to the major highways in the state. these signs would be helpful not only in FLA but nation/worldwide.
ev-signage-via-Lanny-H.jpg

I hate to sound so cynical but they visitors just by virtue of their making a long drive to FLA are probably quite well versed into how to find places to charge. you're ideas are well meaning but why would I contribute money to such an endeavor?
one thing that should be done is to consider adding charging pathfinder signs to the major highways in the state. these signs would be helpful not only in FLA but nation/worldwide.
You're not sounding cynical. One would expect a higher level of knowledge than often happens, especially among BEV newbys, and I'm assuming that we'll have quite a few this year if only because there have been already a number of N-S route questioning threads during the last few months. As for contributions, some want to do such things some don't. I have no strong arguments either way, but then I financially support TMC, evtripplanner and supercharge.info. All of those and some others I can think of are commercial ventures, but commercial ventures I choose to support.

I think signage would be a great idea. That too would take a lot of politicking and probably some money too.

One thing that many of us can do is push our local authorities to provide signage and other BEV information. I've done that already in my city, and anyway they're all on Plugshare.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a report that Tesla is in lease negotiations with the Midtown Mall, which would be the Wynwood site.
That makes sense. There seem to be a few reasonable Aventura locations but I cannot fathom where Brickell might be. Of course, an EV enthusiast and Fisker owner is the leading shareholder of the Hampton Inn in Brickell, and they might have enough space in their garage to allow for Superchargers and there's certainly no shortage of new construction areas.

It's this report from GoCanes here at TMC.
Yes, I spoke to an attorney that reviewed the lease between Tesla & the MidTown mall owners. Definitely in one of the two mall parking garages - but he wasn't sure which one. I drove by both today and saw no progress underway. But the shell of the Design District Tesla store on 41st Street is nearing completion!

Yes, I spoke to an attorney that reviewed the lease between Tesla & the MidTown mall owners. Definitely in one of the two mall parking garages - but he wasn't sure which one. I drove by both today and saw no progress underway. But the shell of the Design District Tesla store on 41st Street is nearing completion!
BTW, I've also heard that Aventura Supercharger is to be in the Aventura Mall's new parking garage currently under construction. The Tesla store will also move from its current mall location into the mall expansion area. One of the mall owners is a Tesla driver, so there is an interest in catering to the EV community at that mall.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
BTW, I've also heard that Aventura Supercharger is to be in the Aventura Mall's new parking garage currently under construction. The Tesla store will also more from its current mall location into the mall expansion area. One of the mall owners is a Tesla driver, so there is an interest in catering to the EV community at that mall.
That makes sense. Have you heard anything about the Brickell location. The same logic would favor the Hampton Inn but there are so many new constructions I suspect there are lots of choices.