Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wondering about the "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, this particular thread is intended for speculating about possible "Coming Soon" Supercharger Station locations.

Is it your guess that this Wawa under construction could be the location for the "Coming Soon" Tampa, FL - Clearwater location on the Find Us Map?

Larry

That is correct. I found the permit for the WaWa construction, Accela Citizen Access which gave me the parcel number 30-28-16-00000-430-0300 and address 26508 US HIGHWAY 19, Clearwater, FL 33761. Still doing more research, but this is my first time trying to pull permits for Pinellas so I am learning by trial.

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
Altamonte Springs
According to a member on Facebook the Eatonville Service Center told his friend that the "Coming Soon" Altamonte Springs Supercharger it will open in roughly three weeks. They didn't know where. Other members have speculated that it might be located near the Altamonte Mall perhaps near the Whole Foods. I haven't been able to locate any permits.

It would be appreciated if someone in the neighborhood could look for construction near the Altamonte Mall or Whole Foods.

Thanks.

Larry
May 5, 2018. Duke Power employee was connecting the Transformer for the 8 Supercharger’s near Whole Foods, Altamonte mall. Supercharger’s still enclosed with nets. Looks close to operating soon to me. I live 6 miles north of SC. May contact them this week to ask when available for charging. They are on the back side of the entrance to Whole Foods.

May 5, 2018. Duke Power employee was connecting the Transformer for the 8 Supercharger’s near Whole Foods, Altamonte mall. Supercharger’s still enclosed with nets. Looks close to operating soon to me. I live 6 miles north of SC. May contact them this week to ask when available for charging. They are on the back side of the entrance to Whole Foods.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the information.

Could you please take some photos of the transformer and any utility work and post them on the Supercharger-Altamonte Springs, FL, Confirmed thread.

Here is the redevelopment site plan for the mall: http://properties.kimcorealty.com/property/capsule_data/424/property/sitemap_image/midres/383.png

Would it be possible for you to mark on the site plan where transformer was located?

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla Club, please click on the link in my signature.

Larry

Moderator's Note: I've changed the thread title to 33 new Superchargers to reflect a recent update by Tesla of the Find Us map that shows 33 upcoming locations.

On this thread we will discuss where we think the new Superchargers are going and the pros and cons of various locations. As we confirm the actual locations via photos or other authoritative sources, I will move those confirmation postings to their own thread to monitor actual progress of the installation.

Last month Tesla updated the Find Us map. Tesla currently has 23 Supercharger Stations planned for 2018 and 10 more in 2019. (There are currently 25 operational Supercharger Station in Florida.)

In the article linked below I summarize the outlook for Florida.

Tesla Updates its map of planned Supercharger Locations. Here's the outlook for Florida. (Public)

Larry

Last edited:
Moderator's Note: I've changed the thread title from to 33 new Superchargers to reflect a recent update by Tesla of the Find Us map that shows 33 upcoming locations.

On this thread we will discuss where we think the new Superchargers are going and the pros and cons of various locations. As we confirm the actual locations via photos or other authoritative sources, I will move those confirmation postings to their own thread to monitor actual progress of the installation.

Last month Tesla updated the Find Us map. Tesla currently has 23 Supercharger Stations planned for 2018 and 10 more in 2019. (There are currently 25 operational Supercharger Station in Florida.)

In the article linked below I summarize the outlook for Florida.

Tesla Updates its map of planned Supercharger Locations. Here's the outlook for Florida. (Public)

Larry
For what it’s worth, I spoke to an attorney who reviewed a lease agreement for Superchargers at the MidTown mall in Miami - that would be the “Wynnwood” location. But he could not recall which of the three garages at the mall were mentioned in the lease! We’ll just have to be on the look-out...

Hi Floridians,

Someone near Tallahassee might want to check out this location:

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Comments suggest it does *not* look like a supercharger but another set of eyes may help!
Your posting is not relevant to this thread.

The Tallahassee Supercharger Station is already located at Villages Common Shopping Center and the Tesla Find Us map does not list a "Coming Soon" Supercharger Station in Tallahassee.

If the Plugshare location was an expansion the boxes would have Tesla markings on them. The Plugshare description, if correct, states it is part of the Electrify America roll-out which are definitely not Tesla Superchargers. The Electrify American map lists 28 "Coming Soon" locations, none of which are in Tallahassee.

Larry

Last edited:
Anyone have thoughts on the Yeehaw Junction SC ?
Tesla seems to be trying to move away from the Turnpike rest stop superchargers. Looks like FL DOT won't let them charge for the charging done there. So I think they eventually want to close Fort Drum.

They have a new or expansion listed on the map for Yeehaw and there's only one road that makes sense -- FL-60.
I imagine this would be a good position for a Kettlemen City style supercharger -- solar canopy, lounge and coffee shop, 40+ stalls. But if they want that by end of 2019, the permit must be lingering somewhere...

What is your source for this thought?

Only what I mentioned. They haven't expanded either Turkey Lake or Fort Drum since they made supercharging for-pay. They are the only two stations in FL that are free for all. I have to imagine that's something the state is making them do. And they need expansion more than any other existing FL SCs. The placement of Sand Lake is also a bit odd given proximity to Turkey Lake.

Given all that and the dot on the expansion map currently marked "Yeehaw Junction" - a big station at Yeehaw makes sense. Problem is there are no nice shopping centers there so Tesla may want to make a little coffee shop and bathroom lounge like Kettleman.

Only what I mentioned. They haven't expanded either Turkey Lake or Fort Drum since they made supercharging for-pay. They are the only two stations in FL that are free for all. I have to imagine that's something the state is making them do. And they need expansion more than any other existing FL SCs. The placement of Sand Lake is also a bit odd given proximity to Turkey Lake.

Given all that and the dot on the expansion map currently marked "Yeehaw Junction" - a big station at Yeehaw makes sense. Problem is there are no nice shopping centers there so Tesla may want to make a little coffee shop and bathroom lounge like Kettleman.

I use the Fort Drum Charger often and I have never found it to be full. I don't think the need is there to justify expansion. Just my opinion.

And the addition of the Sand Lake is to support their urban infrastructure now that all the Model 3s are being delivered. These are designed to support long distance travel as well as those with no charging at home (apartment, condo, rental people). That is the logic. Doesn't make sense to make these people get on the turnpike to charge.

There may be a big upsurge in Model 3s coming to your area in the next 3-4 months. Don't forget: hundreds of thousands of people put down $1000 to reserve a Model 3 in March-April of 2016... and the car is even more popular now in South Florida.

I'm sure Tesla has ran the numbers and can see that there would be a significant jump in Teslas in and around and passing thru your area.

There may be a big upsurge in Model 3s coming to your area in the next 3-4 months. Don't forget: hundreds of thousands of people put down $1000 to reserve a Model 3 in March-April of 2016... and the car is even more popular now in South Florida.

I'm sure Tesla has ran the numbers and can see that there would be a significant jump in Teslas in and around and passing thru your area.

Exactly. Further proving my point of the logic behind the sand lake installation. Yeehaw junction is literally in the middle of nowhere. The idea they would install an expansive charging location at the Yeehaw Jct exit seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion but I could be wrong. If I was to bet I would bet that pin drop for Yeehaw will end up being an expansion of the existing charging at Fort Drum. They will eventually need to expand all the chargers at Turnpike service plazas to keep up with the demands given the Model 3 deliveries that are coming.

To clarify my previous post noting that expanding Yeehaw isn't justified... I was specifically referring to them building an expansive charging center at that exit. As I note above, expanding the service plaza charging options is definitely something I think would be needed.

I'd actually make the argument that superchargers are needed in more remote areas now more than ever. Prior to recently, it has always been a "what if" situation but a couple of weeks ago the "what if" became a reality.

I had a day trip to Clearwater from West Palm Beach and (luckily) was in a Model S 100D loaner car. I charged to 90% at the Wawa in Tampa, which was way more range that I need to make it to Clearwater and then back across the state to Fort Drum to charge enough to make it home to WPB. Thank God I did overcharge. See map below. As I crossed Hwy 60 I was met with a road closure due too a head on fatal accident in a remote section of that road. This forced me to quickly assess my range and options as this would force me to miss the Fort Drum Supercharger. Of course, I could have headed North to Orlando but that was literally the opposite direction I needed to go and would've created a significant time addition to my travels. I surmised that I had just enough range if I drove very responsibly to make it to the WPB Supercharger. If I was in my Model X or my Model S 85 I would've really been in a jam. The red route is what I had to end up taking due to the closure but I obviously planned to follow the blue route. Things could've easily ended up much worse. Let's say I charged just a little over my needed range to get to Fort Drum.... I probably would not even had enough to get up to Orlando. And of course if I was in my actual car I would have no choice but to go to Orlando.

But if there was a Supercharger in the middle of the state (Lake Whales, Lakeland, Sebring, or Okeechobee) this would've been no big deal. I do realize there are some destination chargers along that route if I was really in jam but as the name implies these are "destination" chargers and not designed for long distance travel.

Anyway, just letting those out there keep this in mind because I travel with no anxiety range whatsoever but it's always in the back of my mind "what if" there is a road closure or something that won't let me follow my planned route. Luckily my overcharging at the Supercharger in Tampa really paid off. I made to the WPB Supercharger with 2 miles of range left.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.26.01 AM.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: X Fan and Ken43
I think those are poor locations for a charger. There's nothing there. Less than at a service plaza. And what's the point with a charger location a few miles away already?

I found Yeehaw Junction to be extremely helpful and much desired. We travel from Orlando to Miami via Turnpike and get off right at Yeehaw Junction to take the best combination of time, distance, and tolls combination to get to West Kendall. Fort Drum would require us to travel an extra 10 miles to Fort Drum then head up northbound back to Yeehaw. Given the name junction, I think this is a significant point of impact. Future state Tesla Semi will also benefit from this location tremendously, hence the giant Pilot gas station.

Exactly. Further proving my point of the logic behind the sand lake installation. Yeehaw junction is literally in the middle of nowhere. The idea they would install an expansive charging location at the Yeehaw Jct exit seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion but I could be wrong. If I was to bet I would bet that pin drop for Yeehaw will end up being an expansion of the existing charging at Fort Drum. They will eventually need to expand all the chargers at Turnpike service plazas to keep up with the demands given the Model 3 deliveries that are coming.

To clarify my previous post noting that expanding Yeehaw isn't justified... I was specifically referring to them building an expansive charging center at that exit. As I note above, expanding the service plaza charging options is definitely something I think would be needed.
Hi Jason,

I agree I don't see the logic in building a Kettermen style installation in a location that is not the nexus of a lot of traffic. However, up thread on posting #56 I expressed an opinion regarding two viable locations for a conventional Supercharger Station near Yeehaw Junction, one of which is adjacent to the Yeehaw Toll Plaza.

Larry

Do you take 27 NB and then go around the east side of the lake then up to Yeehaw?

Thats a bold strategy cotton.

Yup. We go up the east side of the Lake. Travel through Krome, US 27, Belle Glades, Pahokee, Okeechobee. The beauty of this trip up the center of state lies in a few points, rest stops are normal priced fast food options, minimal tolls ($4.50 Three Lakes/i4 to Yeehaw), with ~15-20 minutes time added. If your traveling on a weekend like Thanksgiving, consider the backroads your best option as Turnpike and 95 are a nightmare and most likely will take longer. This past weekend we were so happy we went up the backroads, I heard the traffic was terrible. Follow the speed limit signs, turn Waze on, and cruise on the real "The Less Stressway."