Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wondering about the "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sad to tell you that you will be waiting a very long time for any of those places to see a SpC.
all three places are served buy SpCs that are less than 50 miles away.
I'm not so certain. Sarasota and Jacksonville are both very densely populated with visitors from the frigid North, among others.

Jacksonville is bracketed by Kingsland and St Augustine, of course, but both are likely to be overwhelmed during peak times, and there are more of those as the fleet grows.

Sarasota similarly has Fort Myers and Brandon, both of which become inundated at peak times. Naples helps to the South but there are huge areas of winter Frigid Northern annual migrations throughout the areas between Brandon and Fort Myers. Admittedly that area is full of hotels, restaurants and shopping centers that have charging, but none of it is fast.

So, my argument is that Sarasota, Jacksonville ~west, and Miami ~south are crucial locations for 2017.

Realistically there are a good many filler locations on I-10, I-80, I-90 for EW and probably a dozen or so critical places for N-S around the country. Those will all happen this year, I think.

The three Florida locations mentioned are all in the 'filler' category as are those geographical holes in national coverage. They'll happen this year, I think.

The long awaited Miami Service center will happen too, as will the conversion of WPB to a CPO+Inventory site with a new SC there too. We'll certainly see a handful of Reneger bases too, now that Tesla is apparently building more Ranger capacity.

There's my belief for 2017. If I believe all this for enough years it all will eventually happen won't it?;)

I'm not so certain. Sarasota and Jacksonville are both very densely populated with visitors from the frigid North, among others.

Jacksonville is bracketed by Kingsland and St Augustine, of course, but both are likely to be overwhelmed during peak times, and there are more of those as the fleet grows.
regarding JAX, neither SpC to the north or south has in my experience ever been overwhelmed.
the only location here in FLA where I've noted crowding is the Plantation SpC and I agree that the S. FLA area could use more SpC capacity.

Like you noted the places mentioned would be fill in locations and with the need for new locations and expansion of many locations that are being overwhelmed I think filling in at places mentioned while would be nice but are probably not high on the priority list of where to locate expansion of the SpC network.

Reactions: jbcarioca
regarding JAX, neither SpC to the north or south has in my experience ever been overwhelmed.
the only location here in FLA where I've noted crowding is the Plantation SpC and I agree that the S. FLA area could use more SpC capacity.

Like you noted the places mentioned would be fill in locations and with the need for new locations and expansion of many locations that are being overwhelmed I think filling in at places mentioned while would be nice but are probably not high on the priority list of where to locate expansion of the SpC network.
You're correct today, I agree. Even Plantation is only crowded on weekend midday in season today. I'm thinking out another year when there will be ~double the in service Tesla population that exists today. The Supercharger expansions and new locations are all about demand at least 12 months out and also critical long-distance travel gaps, regardless of local visitor demand. I will not suggest my opinions are correct, but I hope they're at least informed.

Seriously, the South East Coast now has both Fort Myers and Naples. It is past time for somewhere in the middle of Miami-Dade. When and where? I'm hoping we'll find out soon.
Hi JC,

Yes, I agree in a perfect world the Miami area should probably be next. It looks like Tesla knows the importance of the Miami region since, as was discussed in posting #6, there appears to be two Miami pins in the map.

After the Miami area is addressed we would probably have basic statewide coverage. Then Tesla should be entering into what I like to call the backfilling phase by placing new Supercharger Stations splitting the distance between existing stations off of major interstate highways. This is going to be needed to keep up with an exponential growth in Teslas on the road.

As near as anyone can tell by looking at the map, the other "Coming in 2017" pins on the map generally appear to be in good locations. Sarasota, Gainsville and Jacksonville have shopping malls located right off of I-75 and I-95 that would also be in suitable locations.

Larry

Hi JC,

Yes, I agree in a perfect world the Miami area should probably be next. It looks like Tesla knows the importance of the Miami region since, as was discussed in posting #6, there appears to be two Miami pins in the map.

After the Miami area is addressed we would probably have basic statewide coverage. Then Tesla should be entering into what I like to call the backfilling phase by placing new Supercharger Stations splitting the distance between existing stations off of major interstate highways. This is going to be needed to keep up with an exponential growth in Teslas on the road.

As near as anyone can tell by looking at the map, the other "Coming in 2017" pins on the map generally appear to be in good locations. Sarasota, Gainsville and Jacksonville have shopping malls located right off of I-75 and I-95 that would also be in suitable locations.

Larry
FWIW: the JAX service center would be a good location, just a bit more than a mile off of I95.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
I work in Jax fairly frequently and while I can make it there and back to gainesville I always cut it close. A supercharger on the west side around i10/i295 would be great. I've heard first hand from gainesville developers that they turned down Tesla for a supercharger in Gainesville. Idiots!

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
There's no need for one in Gainesville at present. Ocala and Lake City are plenty close for travelers on 75. Tesla needs to hit areas of NEED first.
As I stated up thread, I agree that there are other more pressing locations, particularly Miami. However, as Tesla enters into the "backfilling" phase of Supercharger roll-out, at some point placing a station in Gainesville nicely splits the distance between Ocala and Lake City.

Larry

Last edited:
If the West Palm Beach Supercharger is any indication of what to expect you do not want one at a service center. The service center and delivery team tie them up during business hours charging cars in for service or new car deliveries. I really can't blame them as it is so convenient. However, that leaves the chargers near capacity and the cars all have FL plates or no plates at all. Granted, you could probably walk in to the store and ask for one to be moved in a pinch but that is not exactly convenient.

If the West Palm Beach Supercharger is any indication of what to expect you do not want one at a service center. The service center and delivery team tie them up during business hours charging cars in for service or new car deliveries. I really can't blame them as it is so convenient. However, that leaves the chargers near capacity and the cars all have FL plates or no plates at all. Granted, you could probably walk in to the store and ask for one to be moved in a pinch but that is not exactly convenient.
if you arrive at a SvC with a SpC needing a charge, go in and ask them to make one available to you, they usually will accommodate you.

if you arrive at a SvC with a SpC needing a charge, go in and ask them to make one available to you, they usually will accommodate you.

I realize that but as I stated it is not exactly convenient. Especially if you arrive during a typical South Florida thunderstorm.

What would be nice is if they had a few signs posted with a phone # you could call to request a car to be moved and/or something attached to the vehicle noting it as a service vehicle so you know that you can call to request a vehicle moved.

Jason

Disagree? I'm curious to what your solution would be.

Although I am not totally against the service dept using the chargers, it does technically goes directly in the face of the purpose of the Superchargers. They are intended for owners traveling along major highways to get a quick "top off" so they can proceed to the next Supercharger and/or their destination. They were not designed for locals to use because they are trying to save a few bucks or for the service department to use. If you have to contact the store to get cars moved this doesn't exactly promote the quick "top off" philosophy. In a perfect world the service department would have a handful of wall chargers dedicated for their use to charge customers cars as a courtesy so they wouldn't tie up the superchargers.

Perhaps I am missing something? Please enlighten me if so.

For members of the Tesla Florida facebook group, someone posted in there a pic of a trench being dug for a future supercharger station and claimed that it would be the 2nd most southern supercharger. This would put it north of Marathon and south of Plantation. People asked if this was in Key Largo, where OP lives and he replied no. OP works for an engineering firm but not Tesla. Join the group and take a look: Facebook

Personally, I think it's in Florida City or Homestead not far from the Turnpike.

For members of the Tesla Florida facebook group, someone posted in there a pic of a trench being dug for a future supercharger station and claimed that it would be the 2nd most southern supercharger. This would put it north of Marathon and south of Plantation. People asked if this was in Key Largo, where OP lives and he replied no. OP works for an engineering firm but not Tesla. Join the group and take a look: Facebook

Personally, I think it's in Florida City or Homestead not far from the Turnpike.

Supercharge.info has added a Construction marker in Florida City.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888

Supercharge.info has added a Construction marker in Florida City.
This bewilders me a bit. It really is not needed for people who charge at Plantation on their way south, and does nothing for all the winter people and cruise, Miami-area visitors or cruise ship people. It's pointless for Key West because at 45mph one does have giant range. It's outstanding for all the dozens of people who go to the Southern Everglades and/or the Fruit and Spice Park as destinations.

I hope there is to be one somewhere near where all the visitors are.

Need one near Miami airport for folks heading from west coast. Just today, drove to MiA from Naples and to echo previous post, Plantation just doesn't work.

Of course, I'll need to divert there going back. It's too bad MIA doesn't have chargers similar to Savannah.

This bewilders me a bit. It really is not needed for people who charge at Plantation on their way south, and does nothing for all the winter people and cruise, Miami-area visitors or cruise ship people. It's pointless for Key West because at 45mph one does have giant range. It's outstanding for all the dozens of people who go to the Southern Everglades and/or the Fruit and Spice Park as destinations.

I hope there is to be one somewhere near where all the visitors are.

I think that it serves two key purposes:
- alleviates the need to Supercharge at Marathon, FL or Plantation, FL if traveling to or from the Keys.
- allows some travelers to and from the Keys to get on and stay on the turnpike: it's 186 miles to Fort Drum, FL, and then another 146 miles to Ocala, FL. Anything but a base should be able to make it from Florida City, FL to Fort Drum, FL without stopping.