Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wondering about the "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they finally may be putting one in the Pinellas County and a couple on the East coast of Florida.

Moderator's Note: I've changed the title to "Coming Soon" Superchargers to reflect a recent update by Tesla of the Find Us map that shows upcoming locations.

On this thread we will discuss where we think the new Superchargers are going and the pros and cons of various locations. As we confirm the actual locations via photos or other authoritative sources, I will move those confirmation postings to their own thread to monitor actual progress of the installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly would help if Tesla provided a more readable map.

Nevertheless, yes, it looks like Pinellas County has a possible Supercharger Station. There appears to be another one targeted for the Miami area, the Orlando area, and perhaps one on the Space Coast.

If correct, these all good like excellent locations. The Miami locations was on previous Tesla maps.

Larry

Reactions: jbcarioca
FWIW, The Coral Gables location still shows Service Center "coming soon", although the Supercharger disappeared from 2017 although it was there for 2016. They may still delete the CG Service Center also, since there is apparently no longer an active negotiation for space. Who knows, maybe there is something going on, just not easily discoverable by local sources.

In the meantime at least there are rapidly increasing charging options in and around the whole Miami-Dade area.

Looks like they finally may be putting one in the Pinellas County and a couple on the East coast of Florida.

The East Coast ones certainly appear useful:
- one splits the 136/137 mile gap between the two Ports (St Lucie and Orange), which helps travel to points between and gives better Supercharger stop options. (It looks like Tesla plans to increase Supercharger density along Interstates quite a lot in 2017.)
- another is in west Miami which would help people to avoid a large diversion to the Plantation Supercharger if they want to take I-75 or US-41 to the west.

The East Coast ones certainly appear useful:
- one splits the 136/137 mile gap between the two Ports (St Lucie and Orange), which helps travel to points between and gives better Supercharger stop options. (It looks like Tesla plans to increase Supercharger density along Interstates quite a lot in 2017.)
- another is in west Miami which would help people to avoid a large diversion to the Plantation Supercharger if they want to take I-75 or US-41 to the west.
Agree.

Miami: There was speculation a few weeks ago that Tesla might place a Supercharger near the I75/Florida's Turnpike junction. That seems unlikely to me, as do most Northwest Miami locations, because they are all within 10-15 miles of Plantation Supercharger.
Another prevalent speculation is the Dolphin Mall, at the junction of Florida's Turnpike and FL836 close to MIA and easy to reach (non-rush hours anyway) from I95/US1, downtown Miami and Coral Gables. That one has copious excess parking areas as well as plentiful shopping and mall food choices. If it happens at all, I'd bet on this one.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does happen because after years of promises and thousands of Teslas in Miami-Dade, as well as plentiful winter visitors from the Frigid North, we still have no Service Center nearer than the hopelessly overcrowded Dania (they try very hard but are ill-equipped for the number of cars they handled two years ago, much less now.)
The SC in Coral Gables did have a Supercharger co-located in the 2016 plans that have come and gone.

Two Ports gap- that is a crucial one for the winter crowd. There are quite a few Northerners making the trip from the NE to SoFl. At normal I95/Turnpike speeds the two Ports are a trifle too far apart. The previous critical gap was solved by Kingsland, GA, which has acted to increase the density of visiting Teslae from the NE. This gap is probably critical to be installed before Model 3 appears.

Interstates: There are many critical points before the Model 3 hits in volume and Tesla seems to be working hard on the most heavily used ones. I-80 is now nearly complete, I-10 keeps improving but now the big unfilled gap is El Paso-Tucson. Lots of other important gaps too.

Florida overall: Because of all those crucial points in low-population-density high-trans-continetal areas it seems plausible that Tesla will deploy maximum effort to plug all those gaps and similar ones in Europe (especially tourist-activity-dense East and South-East), new countries such as Taiwan, New Zealand, Korea etc. Just thinking about all those priorities and adding Mexico, Brazil and a couple other places with zero today, but with Model 3 orders already placed, in Tesla's place I'd not put too high priority in Superchargers in US Metro areas, including Miami. Instead I'd place maximum effort on installing a plethora of Destination Chargers everywhere possible.Oddly, it seems that is just what they're doing.

Looks like there are two chargers (not one) in the Miami area for 2017, along with the Pinellas, Orlando and Space Coast chargers.

I'm going to assume Orlando is for I-4 travelers instead of the more Turnpike-focused current charger. Pinellas is a no-brainer. As is Miami.

With Miami, I think the Southland Mall makes more sense when attempting to close the gap from Plantation to Marathon (135 miles). That's the same exact distance from Port Orange to Port St. Lucie (136 miles). And if splitting the distance in half is why the Space Coast is targeted for one, then so should the south Dade area (as well as the St. Augustine and Sarasota areas, both in that 135 mile range).

But I also agree that the Dolphin Mall makes sense. Don't see why both couldn't get a charger in time.

I have an early 2015 MS85 (2WD) and easily made it from Palm Beach to Marathon last weekend with giving absolutely no thought to energy conservation. My lifetime avg is 345kWh and I averaged 285kWh to Marathon. Loads of traffic as well. Took 6hrs to get to the Marathon charger. Another hour to Key West. Same thing on my return trip. Started each trip at 100%. Had roughly 15% when charging started.

While the Dolphin Mall location makes sense on a map, the mall has terrible parking on nights and weekends. We go to the movies there sometimes and even the grass is full of cars. If they do use that locale, hopefully it's on the backside of the mall, away from the crowds a the front.

Long term, I'd like to see a supercharger at every turnpike rest stop. There are 8 rest stops averaging between 30 and 50 miles apart.

Edit: And one right at Disney as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: davidc18
Agree.

Miami: There was speculation a few weeks ago that Tesla might place a Supercharger near the I75/Florida's Turnpike junction. That seems unlikely to me, as do most Northwest Miami locations, because they are all within 10-15 miles of Plantation Supercharger.

One in Miami would also be useful to relieve the sometimes crowded Plantation SC. My wife and I made a quick trip to Miami last month from St. Petersburg (Sun.-Tues. around noon), and in both directions there were 2-3 cars waiting for stalls. Can only get worse when the Model 3's start arriving in bulk.

Agree.

Another prevalent speculation is the Dolphin Mall, at the junction of Florida's Turnpike and FL836 close to MIA and easy to reach (non-rush hours anyway) from I95/US1, downtown Miami and Coral Gables. That one has copious excess parking areas as well as plentiful shopping and mall food choices. If it happens at all, I'd bet on this one.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does happen because after years of promises and thousands of Teslas in Miami-Dade, as well as plentiful winter visitors from the Frigid North, we still have no Service Center nearer than the hopelessly overcrowded Dania (they try very hard but are ill-equipped for the number of cars they handled two years ago, much less now.)
The SC in Coral Gables did have a Supercharger co-located in the 2016 plans that have come and gone.

Two Ports gap- that is a crucial one for the winter crowd. There are quite a few Northerners making the trip from the NE to SoFl. At normal I95/Turnpike speeds the two Ports are a trifle too far apart. The previous critical gap was solved by Kingsland, GA, which has acted to increase the density of visiting Teslae from the NE. This gap is probably critical to be installed before Model 3 appears.

Interstates: There are many critical points before the Model 3 hits in volume and Tesla seems to be working hard on the most heavily used ones. I-80 is now nearly complete, I-10 keeps improving but now the big unfilled gap is El Paso-Tucson. Lots of other important gaps too.

Florida overall: Because of all those crucial points in low-population-density high-trans-continetal areas it seems plausible that Tesla will deploy maximum effort to plug all those gaps and similar ones in Europe (especially tourist-activity-dense East and South-East), new countries such as Taiwan, New Zealand, Korea etc. Just thinking about all those priorities and adding Mexico, Brazil and a couple other places with zero today, but with Model 3 orders already placed, in Tesla's place I'd not put too high priority in Superchargers in US Metro areas, including Miami. Instead I'd place maximum effort on installing a plethora of Destination Chargers everywhere possible.Oddly, it seems that is just what they're doing.
You're right... they basically solved the lack of SC in Manhattan with a destination charger initiative. A year ago I would have said the same was underway for Miami but it seems to have stalled with few new installs. Fortunately there are more J1772 / Level 2 and Chargepoint options - but I am wondering what is going on in South Florida. Dania and West Palm cant possibly keep up and Coral Gables is "coming soon"..... but not soon enough evidently.

Does it really matter until they are actually installed and available for use?
Hi Mike,

Good question.

We have a large Tesla club here in Florida and have established an excellent working relationship with our local Supercharger Project Managers. From the very beginning of the Supercharger program we have found senior management receptive to our ideas. As president of our club, I have had occasion to meet with local Supercharger project management and I was asked to consult our membership for suggestions and forward leads regarding prospective Supercharger locations to Tesla. Many of our members own businesses and are business leaders. They are in a position to offer Tesla host locations for Destination Charging or even Supercharger locations. During public hearings regarding siting of Supercharger locations or Stores, our local membership have been mobilized to attend, and if necessary, speak on behalf of Tesla's projects.

With a better map we could provide better recommendations and proactively assist Tesla while they are in the preliminary stages of planning.

Larry

Agreed, that I-75/Turnpike junction (as it is currently constructed) is not a good location for a Supercharger. Northbound turnpike (which is really northeast-bound and eventually eastbound) does not connect to southbound I-75, and southbound I-75 does not connect to northbound turnpike.

Regardless of the proximity to Plantation, South Florida does need a better-placed Supercharger. It's poorly placed for anyone coming from the west coast of Florida that is bound for west Miami-Dade or the keys. For someone headed that way, somewhere around the Dolphin Mall would make sense. I agree this is a potential choice for Miami, because it's on route to Marathon from the west coast Superchargers.

If they were to place a Supercharger by the Dolphin Mall, the downtown Miami would remain under-served. A Supercharger along I-95 in Miami-Dade would certainly be well-placed as also. It would be on route for those southbound on I-95 heading to Marathon. Perhaps Miami may get 2 Superchargers? Los Angeles county has like 4 of them, so why not 2 for Miami?

Reactions: jbcarioca
Agreed, that I-75/Turnpike junction (as it is currently constructed) is not a good location for a Supercharger. Northbound turnpike (which is really northeast-bound and eventually eastbound) does not connect to southbound I-75, and southbound I-75 does not connect to northbound turnpike.

Regardless of the proximity to Plantation, South Florida does need a better-placed Supercharger. It's poorly placed for anyone coming from the west coast of Florida that is bound for west Miami-Dade or the keys. For someone headed that way, somewhere around the Dolphin Mall would make sense. I agree this is a potential choice for Miami, because it's on route to Marathon from the west coast Superchargers.

If they were to place a Supercharger by the Dolphin Mall, the downtown Miami would remain under-served. A Supercharger along I-95 in Miami-Dade would certainly be well-placed as also. It would be on route for those southbound on I-95 heading to Marathon. Perhaps Miami may get 2 Superchargers? Los Angeles county has like 4 of them, so why not 2 for Miami?
Were there to be another Supercharger in addition to the Dolphin Mall it should be more or less midway between WPB Supercharger and Marathon. That would be most convenient for the I-95 to keys tourists. The easiest location would probably be soemwhere around teh Village of Pinecrest, maybe in/near The Falls or Dadeland. In terms of available space, ease of permitting and costs I'd wager The Falls area would be preferable. 'Course if locals matter, it should definitely be in Coral Gables near Ponce de Leon and Bird Road, where we once thought the SC would be. It works for me, I can walk there in five minutes or so.:p

Seriously, the South East Coast now has both Fort Myers and Naples. It is past time for somewhere in the middle of Miami-Dade. When and where? I'm hoping we'll find out soon.