Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother trying to debate with a fervent believer. Like all US religious nutcases, their only aim is to break your will until you join their faith.
Haha… thanks.

Sorry but I’m Not religious. Not an aim to “break” anyone. Simply offered a comparison and perspective and even said Tesla needs to do better. Simply showed lack of testing is an industry wide issue. . But since it wasn’t the “Tesla sucks” bias on this thread, it’s called “whataboutism”. No surprise.

But it is disappointing that @MashinBenzin would like that post. He at least seemed to offer reasonable responses with data to back them up without having to resort to over the top name calling.

Last edited:
Yep, and four years ago they were so far ahead of the game. That’s part of my frustration, the lack of improvement since then. They could easily have taken that EV lead and spent the last few years trying to build a more engaging, fully featured and interesting car. But no, just growth and profits.

I had the word fridge in my head when I was thinking of my car the other day. Even our Auris is more interesting.

When I had my Discovery, I relished every drive, whether that was the incongruity of it being pretty swift compared with the average car on the road (versus the Tesla where you think it’s swifter than almost everything but yawn), or more likely enjoying the waft and the luxury and the features.

Tesla very much look like they want to remain at the base spec end of the market, nothing new is coming through.

What’s amusing is six months ago the fanboys were arguing that Tesla was a luxury product, never mind premium. In the face of overwhelming reality, they’ve realigned now to the wonders of Model T ubiquity and attain ability.
...yeh but :)
Who still doesn't enjoy giving the tool in his V.A.G eurobox , who is 10mm away from your alimentary canal, a cheeky wave in the rear view mirror , as you gun it.

• Funny
Reactions: MashinBenzin
Haha… thanks.

Sorry but I’m Not religious. Not an aim to “break” anyone. Simply offered a comparison and perspective and even said Tesla needs to do better. Simply showed lack of testing is an industry wide issue. . But since it wasn’t the “Tesla sucks” bias on this thread, it’s called “whataboutism”. No surprise.

But it is disappointing that @MashinBenzin would like that post. He at least seemed to offer reasonable responses with data to back them up without having to resort to over the top name calling.
Didn’t mean to offend you by liking the post, educated debate is preferable as you say. There are some fervent folk on here and it’s that sentiment I was agreeing with.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveNN and SO16
I still prefer the JLR software, aka CarPlay. And I didn’t have Pivi Pro. But ETTO 👍
My x260 was the AWD launch press car...
So, it was fully laden with all manner of gubbins.
Never did it all work all of the time.
After they took out the Nav on the HUD after an upgrade, with a 6 months wait for a few lines of code to be written, I potted it...for a velar.
That was decent but the display would occasionally crash.

What’s amusing is six months ago the fanboys were arguing that Tesla was a luxury product, never mind premium. In the face of overwhelming reality, they’ve realigned now to the wonders of Model T ubiquity and attain ability.
Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

Tesla’s mission statement: To accelerate the world to sustainable energy.

Tesla has said that the goal of the first Roadster was to pave the way for a cheaper and more widely adopted vehicle. Same for the S/X to the 3/Y and will happen again.

The new roadster (which of course is non existent at this time), was against their stated goals. But I do hope they continue with the more halo versions.

And they do have the CT coming out for other market segments. So they are not sitting still.

As far as doing a bigger refresh for the S/X, I suspect Tesla will once sales and price cuts no longer make sense with the existing versions. I wonder if other newer car companies like Rivian and Lucid will fully refresh a vehicle just to “fit the industry norm”.

Last edited:

Tesla has said that the goal of the first Roadster was to pave the way for a cheaper and more widely adopted vehicle. Same for the S/X to the 3/Y and will happen again.

The new roadster (which of course is non existent at this time), was against their stated goals. But I do hope they continue with the more halo versions.

And they do have the CT coming out for other market segments. So they are not sitting still.

As far as doing a bigger refresh for the S/X, I suspect Tesla will once sales and price cuts no longer make sense with the existing versions. I wonder if other newer car companies like Rivian and Lucid will fully refresh a vehicle just to “fit the industry norm”.
The point I’m trying to make is that Tesla do follow the industry norm, just with less impact.

The little production changes are the sort of thing that happen at model year changes or half model year changes, or even in between.

The Raven cars were like a mid cycle refresh, but limited to drivetrain.

The Plaid cars are like an all new model with a drivetrain and interior change. Only half a job as no body changes.

I had an E90 LCI 3-series. That was the mid-cycle refresh model. Before the E90 was replaced by the F30 there were new versions of iDrive, new/revised engines, new models (eg efficient dynamics as a model line). That’s a car built from 2005 to 2012 with a 2009 mid cycle refresh and loads of model year updates and changes in between model years. What Tesla are doing isn’t new, it’s labelled as new to hide from the fact that they don’t (yet) do proper mid life refreshes or new models.

Reactions: CWT3LR
To be balanced, in 4 years of having a 3 and a Y, it’s been enjoyable for specific reasons. Absolute novelty factor for one. Effortless driving and speed. Something different that was really new and felt futuristic 4 years ago. But nothing much has changed in that time. Only I now have to queue at most chargers and when I park my car, I come back surrounded by identikits.

What really made me think was a recent YouTube video by Matt Watson. Drag race between a model x plaid/bmw/merc/Audi. Of course the plaid was quickest off the line ever time. Just push the pedal and go. But the fun and banter was between the other 3. Messing up starts, trying to get the best out of the car. Engagement. They barely spoke to Symonds who was in the plaid. Made me think that Tesla’s are functional instruments. Zero engagement or emotion. A quick fridge on its side. I miss that in a car. Going for a drive for fun.

In 4 years I’ve never really considered another brand. But recently sat in the facelift 3 series. What a lovely place to sit. Feels techy but classy. Like a revelation.

So the end or the Tesla journey is in sight for now. Wife will be getting an electric mini which we will use for getting around through the week etc. BMW M3 for ‘fun’, long journeys etc.
That’s really interesting and I’ve been hearing really good things about the new M3 and 3 Series in general.
It’s just that I don’t envisage myself ever going back to a combustion car, no matter how refined. The “fun” and “engagement” are OK in the right mindset but on everyday use just means inputs and processing on your part that contribute to fatigue and get really old really fast.

Nah, for me the switch to Electric seems very much to be a one-way thing.

Reactions: Drew57

Maybe its a cultural thing but I think over here we are disinclined to believe that publicly traded companies can have a meaningful mission statement beyond "make as much money for the shareholders as possible" even if the original founders genuinely had one. But hey "don't be evil".

Maybe its a cultural thing but I think over here we are disinclined to believe that publicly traded companies can have a meaningful mission statement beyond "make as much money for the shareholders as possible" even if the original founders genuinely had one. But hey "don't be evil".

Typically I do agree with your sentiment. But I wouldn’t say the company/CEO has done the best short term decisions for shareholders given the stock performance this last year +.

I don’t trust Tarponing or Eberhard either.

Typically I do agree with your sentiment. But I wouldn’t say the company/CEO has done the best short term decisions for shareholders given the stock performance this last year +.

I don’t trust Tarponing or Eberhard either.
If your logic is recent actions have not been good for the shareholders in the "short term" ergo they must be part of the mission statement I think that is a difficult sell they could just as easily reflect:
a) difficult market conditions
b) prioritising the long term growth of the company over short term gain
c) a CEO who is mad as a bag of squirrels
P.S. I don't know who those people are but if they are CEO's of major corporations then probably wise. Being a sociopath is pretty much the minimum requirement to run a corporation

Mod comment: I could spend the next hour of my life trying to pick apart the useful content from pointed comments and name calling.

Thread closed for a cooling off period and to allow one or two people to familiarise themselves with the forum rules. Thats not to say I don't have some sympathy with some of the arguments put, I do struggle to see how re-running the usual "Tesla are rubbish at stuff" v "Tesla are gods" type arguments and the topic of this thread which is UK used prices have any direct relationship with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.