Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4680 batteries offer no benefit to the consumer, it literally just makes battery production cheaper for Tesla and I somehow doubt they will pass the savings onto the customer.
Perhaps not quite true if it adds longevity to the pack and potentially faster charging rates (although it would be hard to go much higher than about 250-300 kW on a 400V architecture)…

Looks like Tesla is going to upgrade the Model 3 and Y in 2023, with 4680 batteries and new interiors, so if you have not bought it yet, you can wait for the 2023 versions.
But these are not the 4680s they announced
on battery day, they get the form factor
and are cheaper to make but lack the improved density as they (surprise surprise) are still having problems getting them to work as initially described.

You have to admire their PR skills.

Looks like Tesla is going to upgrade the Model 3 and Y in 2023, with 4680 batteries and new interiors, so if you have not bought it yet, you can wait for the 2023 versions.

but people said that about:

The new centre console
The double pane windows
The amber turn signals
The wraparound dashboard thingy
The Matrix headlights
etc etc

There's ALWAYS something to "wait for" with Tesla

I might consider waiting for a tan interior, but that's about it ... and I probably wouldn't anyway

Reactions: Js1977 and Doudeau
I have a 3 on order with due date Jan - Mar. New things are nice, but I'm not in any urgent hurry to get a new car. As I read here and elsewhere and get more familiar with the rumours and Tesla scene in general I'm increasingly of two minds...

1 - Get it ASAP before they take away my control stalks and who knows what else like they just did my USS

2 - Be patient and wait a little longer for juicy stuff like HW4, a European price drop, the even nicer red paint...

Hmmmmm, anyone got a crystal ball? :) I guess I just chill for a couple of months and see how things evolve. What would you do?

• Funny
Reactions: DeejUK and Bouba
Perhaps not quite true if it adds longevity to the pack and potentially faster charging rates (although it would be hard to go much higher than about 250-300 kW on a 400V architecture)…

Actually there's lots of room for faster charging speeds even at 400v ... look at the present curve ... if you could maintain 250kW throughout the charge rather than just the first few percent it would transform the real world charging speed.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Actually there's lots of room for faster charging speeds even at 400v ... look at the present curve ... if you could maintain 250kW throughout the charge rather than just the first few percent it would transform the real world charging speed.
Ah, yes. Good point, that. What I meant was going as high as 350 kW or even beyond, though.... :)

Reactions: Adopado
Nope. It's nothing but reality returning. We've had supply chain drama and rising MSRP's at every carmaker. Tesla moved first, others followed. Tesla is in great position to adjust down as needed.

And used prices had gone nuts, with used Teslas selling for thousands over MSRP. That's irrational except under crazy supply constraints. Now we're returning to "normal" where used Teslas sell for slightly less than brand new ones.

And all along, the Tesla that I own works great, I laugh as I drive past gas stations, and I have no urgent need to replace it.

I hope this isn't too much bad news for you personally, but maybe this is a positive sign about inflation and the economy generally? If prices are starting to come down on expensive luxury goods, maybe other things will follow? I am not an economist, as may be obvious :)
No it’s not bad news because cars depreciate and I’ve been watching the temporary suspension of gravity with astonishment rather than by trying to tell myself I was a financial genius. Do I wish I’d got out in August? Probably. Does it bother me? No, I’d have just put a chunk of extra cash into buying another depreciating four wheeled asset. It’s the curse of the petrolhead (and yes you can have an EV if you’re a petrolhead).

WBAC validation of my 2019 Sr+ has dropped thousands since August. I have opted to upgrade to a 2023 RWD as Telsa offered me £33k for the SR+ (Locked in and valid for the new car). It makes way less financial sense than it would have months ago but WBAC are now offering me less than £31k… and whislt I doubt Tesla will raise prices… inflation and the exchange rate suggest that they might…?

My 2019 has been an experience to say the least - so many service visits. So many leaks, issues and rattles. I dont enjoy it and decided that a new 4 year warranty on a MIC car is worth it to me but there I have for sure missed the best opportunity to ‘upgrade’ and this is costing me a few grand more than it would have 3 - 6 months ago.

Nope. It's nothing but reality returning. We've had supply chain drama and rising MSRP's at every carmaker. Tesla moved first, others followed. Tesla is in great position to adjust down as needed.

And used prices had gone nuts, with used Teslas selling for thousands over MSRP. That's irrational except under crazy supply constraints. Now we're returning to "normal" where used Teslas sell for slightly less than brand new ones.

And all along, the Tesla that I own works great, I laugh as I drive past gas stations, and I have no urgent need to replace it.
I never understood this as it has always been pretty easy to buy a new Tesla, unless you are waiting for a model not in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.