Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been doing a few WBAC quotes after looking at the market.

M3 LR 2020 (70 Plate) Post-Refresh - 70,000 miles - £25,000
M3 SR 2021 (71 Plate) 60kWH LFP - 25,000 miles - £31,000

I am guessing WBAC take mileage into account quite heavily, these prices are definitely in my range if I can find the right seller.

If you look at a few on Telsa-Info some have been on the market for 2+ months and had price reductions of 8-10K.
If you got cash then put some wanted adds out there and here even as to intercept something.

Probably because you've had most of it replaced.

Remind us again of your list of warranty repairs?

Isn't that warranties are for :).

Out of warranty now for over 16 months and nothing too unexpected has gone wrong given the complexity of the car.

The real unknown for me is still if Tesla will sell/fit a new 90kWh battery pack to our 75kWh car once the battery warranty is done if I tried to 'buy' one.......The aluminium construction on the X should mean no worried about corrosion, so if Tesla will play ball, I fully intended to keep the car going for as long as possible.

I remeber seeing a 1980s BMW 5 series in garage a while back when I owned the 335i having an new engine block put it whilst I was getting a Quiaife LSD fitted. At the time I didn't understand why anyone would spend £££££ keeping such an old car on the road, but now been older my self I get it.

There is a chap down the road who still has an Austin Metero as their daily driver!! If an Austin Metero can last 30 years+ and keep going surely anything can, even a Tesla :).

Looks like Tesla is going to upgrade the Model 3 and Y in 2023, with 4680 batteries and new interiors, so if you have not bought it yet, you can wait for the 2023 versions.
This is highly doubtful. Do you have a source for this rumor? I'm sure they will continue some incremental upgrades, but a shift to new batteries is not going to happen. It doesn't matter anyway since the 4680 provides no additional benefit to the consumer than the existing cells.

I have a 3 on order with due date Jan - Mar. New things are nice, but I'm not in any urgent hurry to get a new car. As I read here and elsewhere and get more familiar with the rumours and Tesla scene in general I'm increasingly of two minds...

1 - Get it ASAP before they take away my control stalks and who knows what else like they just did my USS

2 - Be patient and wait a little longer for juicy stuff like HW4, a European price drop, the even nicer red paint...

Hmmmmm, anyone got a crystal ball? :) I guess I just chill for a couple of months and see how things evolve. What would you do?
I just got my new 3LR WITH stalks. Stalk removal was something I was certainly worried about.

Reactions: ACarneiro
This is highly doubtful. Do you have a source for this rumor? I'm sure they will continue some incremental upgrades, but a shift to new batteries is not going to happen. It doesn't matter anyway since the 4680 provides no additional benefit to the consumer than the existing cells.
The source of the rumour will probably be watching their google adsense revenue ticking up as people read the wild speculation based on a tweet by Musk 3 years ago thats been recycled (apologies, I'm just very cyncical about any 3rd party Tesla prediction when Tesla themesleves can't predict what will happen a week out, after many years I believe things when I see them).

The 4680 batteries so far have been in standard range RWD spec cars in the US. They're in compeition with LFP batteries at the moment rather than the LR and P models, and the LFP have a lot going for them.

4680 volume is also limited at the moment so I doubt they'll switch. If I was a betting man I don't think they'll ever come to the M3 and MY, they'll go to the Semi, Cybertruck and if you were going to improve a battery, you might have a go at the MS and MX which are lower volume cars.

But never say never with Tesla.

Reactions: VT_EE
Life is honestly too short to go into this kind of rabbit hole. What's going to happen to the £ over the next few months. What's the international ramifications when Putin starts dropping 'tactical' nucs in a country a couple hours flight from the UK.

If you can afford the Y, and want one, why woudlnt you get one? If you are so financially stretched a change in the value of Y will give you sleepless night than you probably shouldn't waste money on one.

We are living in some crazy times at present, if you have good health and family, everything else is a bonuse right now. So enjoy the thought of owning a new Y, rather than stress about something that really isn't worth stressing over.
Nice response. Thanks.
We have a Model 3, 2020, LR, with FSD (!) and have looked at a Kia Ev and a Hyundai EV but not made the change. We have been pretty happy with everything but the comfort. It just transfers every bump and we find, at 76, it harder to get in and out as it is built like a sportscar. And I assume the value on it as a used car has decreased, as I read that used car values are going down in general. Life is short--go for what rings your bells...

Forever, car owners have feared driving their vehicles after the warranty expires. There is an inherent fear that an expensive repair bill might pop up and make that decision expensive. Overall the costs of diving a used car is less than a new one due to depreciation. Part of the reason for depreciation is that as the miles add up, the parts wear down.

Not that different worrying about a new battery pack, than worrying about an ICE engine/transmission/rear end failing and being expensive to repair with a new one.

Right now, there are companies that can often supply a used/refreshed aftermarket battery for less than getting one from Tesla. As the fleet ages and expands, the aftermarket will supply less expensive alternative to buying a new one from the factory.

Price getting a replacement engine for a high performance Mercedes, BMW, Audi and you might find the costs very similar.

For the past several years, many Tesla owners found them in the position to sell their used models for more than they paid for them. Making trading up to a new model relatively inexpensive.

I’m not sure owning an ice out of ownership is a real fear.

I think part of the problem with Tesla (especially older cars) is they had little to no history designing and building cars.

How many heater matrix failures are there in those cars? £1000 a time
How many headlight DRL failures? £1000
How many door handle failures? £300
Suspension and drive shafts?
MCU1 failures because the used the wrong grade of memory? After much fighting, tesla conceded,

None of that has anything to do with being an EV, just a company with little auto experience. The concern was the number of silly issues.

The battery and motors are also a concern but unlike an ICE where there’s a mechanic on every corner who can fix a lot of stuff, the EV world is currently still pretty new so it’s whole swap out replacement at Tesla. That’s slowly changing. In the future yo7 won’t buy a £10k battery, you’ll have a guy strip it down, replace the faulty cells with the parts from a salvage battery and it will cost you £400. We’re not there yet.

I sold my MS at 4 years because at the time the MCU didn’t have an extended warranty, the drivers seat was starting to rock and Teslas “fix” was a washer to pack the rail and the suggestion to not push it all the way back, and the various issues mentioned above. We ran our ice car from new to 9 years old, it needed a new rear light cluster (eBay, £200, fitted myself), and an oil leak (garage, £300). So part is the fear of what might go wrong, but there’s also currently little option other than sky high tesla prices when they do.

I’m not sure owning an ice out of ownership is a real fear.

I think part of the problem with Tesla (especially older cars) is they had little to no history designing and building cars.

How many heater matrix failures are there in those cars? £1000 a time
How many headlight DRL failures? £1000
How many door handle failures? £300
Suspension and drive shafts?
MCU1 failures because the used the wring grade of memory? After much fighting a tesla conceded,

None of those things or even costs are out or keeping with any ICE car costing £70k+ new back in 2014/15.

If you want a proper scare look up how much a set of BMW laser lights cost to replace, or even just ceramic discs on a M5 with similar performance to a P85D.....Infact go and look up the cost of a media unit for a Lexus IS300H, I think you will find Tesla parts pricing is very reasonable.

Tesla makes their service manuals avaliable online and even the garage down the road from me are happy to rip open the DC converter fuse box and work on the car (see the Google link if you don't believe me).

The only unknown at present is how easy/hard Tesla will make it to supply batteries in the future. From a business point of view supporting older cars makes no sense as its better to sell the customer a new one, but if Tesla really belive in their mission statement of 'sustainable transport' supporting older cars is a must.

In my younger days with more free time, fiddling with cars, ECU settings etc was a hobby. From what I've seen of Tesla, their repair processes aren't that different from say of BMW. The only difference been with BMW there is more of a 'modder' community so knowledge is wider spread.

12640333395_d197dfcab7_c_d.jpg

I've done some tiny bits of work on our X, and I have to say without hot oil/water pipes to worry about, and no engine lump in the way access to parts isn't hard.

There is nothing to fear from these cars longterm wise, they are just like another car.

42392815734_e75357ab0f_c_d.jpg

There seems to be quite a large gap between WBAC/Motorway offers and the prices of cars actually for sale at the moment.
Is this a pre-Christmas lull? Are used M3s not selling? Is that because supply of new ones has resumed?
Given the price rises, used year old M3s at £40k seem like reasonable value, yet the current book price is around £32k…….

Thoughts?

Pardon?

Oh you mean the car has a similar 0-60 time.

Yeah. No.

The F10 M5 was one of the cars on my shortlist to replace my old 335i before I went down the EV route. I doubt anyone who has owned/run a BMW wouldn't will 'worry' about Tesla parts pricing. Tesla brakes are actually essentially standard Brembo kit fitted to a whole raft of 'performance' cars.

As I've said, look up the cost of laser light replacements if you really want to see how expensive some cars are to maintain......

• Funny
Reactions: DrJFoster
Status
Not open for further replies.