Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Tesla had headlights as good as BMW Laser lights then I'd happily accept they cost that much to replace.

Pre facelift MS have headlights with reduced wattage lightbulbs because Tesla didn't fit a wash, so they're pretty much both the worst headlights you could buy at the time and some of the most expensive to replace.

Later headlghts are better but even the latest, while "matrix", are not clever. So again, the worst of both worlds, an expensive headlight design but without the features to make the design worth while. Maybe one day we'll get them working as adaptive headlights, one day.

If only Tesla had headlights as good as BMW Laser lights then I'd happily accept they cost that much to replace.
day.

So on one hand you worry about paying £1k for a new headlight, but at the same time you don't have any issue with a £5k+ headlight unit that could fail at any point and not be covered by any kind of warranties (most 3rd party warranties exclude head lights)......What's the message here, £1k is too much for headlights or £5k is the minimum you want to spend on them :).

Personal I always perfer the cheapest option.

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1 and boombap
There seems to be quite a large gap between WBAC/Motorway offers and the prices of cars actually for sale at the moment.
Is this a pre-Christmas lull? Are used M3s not selling? Is that because supply of new ones has resumed?
Given the price rises, used year old M3s at £40k seem like reasonable value, yet the current book price is around £32k…….

Thoughts?
Yes pre christmas. Plus lots of M3 being traded in for MY. Plus supply improvement for new.

32k for a year old M3? Really? Where?

No I agree…..

My point is; I wonder what these are actually selling for (if they’re even selling)?
I think the reason for the price crash is that they’re not selling. I’ve had an idea of what I wanted to swap for and I’ve been WBAC’ing them too: gentle decrease over six months but nothing like what we’ve seen.

Tesla trade in valuation on my Black Model Y LR with inductions is £49600 today. I paid £58190 in March 2022. I would ideally like to get back into a M3P next year . Do people generally agree that depreciation has now returned to normal and that things will unlikely change from this point onward with regard to Tesla trade in values?

Tesla trade in valuation on my Black Model Y LR with inductions is £49600 today. I paid £58190 in March 2022. I would ideally like to get back into a M3P next year . Do people generally agree that depreciation has now returned to normal and that things will unlikely change from this point onward with regard to Tesla trade in values?
Its a crystal ball game but I wouldn’t think they’re going to stop depreciating like they did for a while. Motorway suggests standard year 1 is 15-30%. You’ve had your 15% after six months but who knows what happens next?

£10k hit in that time is pretty serious. Especially as a new one is now £3k more than what you paid back then.

It’s an awful time to sell. Christmas looming. Energy bills hitting with the colder weather. Holiday deposits to be paid for next summer. Food prices exploding. Etc.

There is decent supply of new ones too. I’m going to keep mine 3 years now and see what happens. Pointless taking a £10k hit in under a year.

In the US they're now discounting some new cars by about $3k-$4k to add to the this. Some are speculating it's to do with rebates etc probably starting next year over there, but it fits in with what we're seeing too, including lots of inventory. Would I take delivery today if I was paying full price? Difficult call, if I didn't need to and there was little penalty on me (ie I'm not locked in at a lower price I'd lose) then I'd probably sit on my hands to see if they do an end of year deal or what happens with the USS software. It wasn't so long ago they gave a years free supercharging if you took delivery between Christmas and New Year.

Reactions: Ricecooker
I’m quite pleased, to be honest. My M3LR is through Tusker and their prices going forward are astronomical (their fees more than offset the tax savings). I’d quite like to be able to show them some estimated auction values at the end of the lease and offer to take it off their hands.

• Funny
Reactions: Casss
Out of interest I looked at wbac for my mylr, blue with inductions and 9k on the clock. 41.5k which is well below what can be seen on autotrader etc.
WBAC valuation on my 22 plate Model Y with inductions and 3800 miles is £38,000. today This is very bad considering i really wanted to get back into a facelifted 2023 Model 3 Performance

Last edited:
There are quite a lot of dealers about with unsold Tesla’s that paid basically new prices for a used one (I know one with three and they reckon they’ll take a 26k hit on those). That is why the WBAC prices have crashed, they are based on the auction levels and there are now zero bids for Tesla’s and that problem will last a while given how bruised the dealers are.

It is a great opportunity to pick up a cheap one with few thousand miles on the clock, if only I needed another one 🤣

WBAC valuation on my 22 plate Model Y with inductions and 3800 miles is £38,000. today This is very bad considering i really wanted to get back into a facelifted 2023 Model 3 Performance
Wow. That's a bit of an insult really. I think its them basically saying 'we don't need any more of that type of car' as if you stuck that on a dealer forecourt for £45k (a healthy £7k uplift) it would be sold in minutes.

If you work it backwards, it should easily get £50k, if not a bit more, so surely an offer in the mid £40k area would be more appropriate and still leave lots of wiggle room for them. £38k is basically saying no, we don't want it.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Status
Not open for further replies.