Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone worried with a all glass roof in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much concerned about air/thermal leakage, but have wondered a bit about possible condensation issues: In the event of Snow/Ice on the roof, the potential for dripping condensation "drizzle" might be present. That would be a hassle. Guess scraping the windows might be more of a job on the Model 3.

This would happen as often as you get frost on the inside of your windshield or on the inside of an existing sunroof. In my case, it would be, maybe, once year. So I'm not worried about this either.

Not so much concerned about air/thermal leakage, but have wondered a bit about possible condensation issues: In the event of Snow/Ice on the roof, the potential for dripping condensation "drizzle" might be present. That would be a hassle. Guess scraping the windows might be more of a job on the Model 3.
I've never had a problem with this in any car, ever, but your mileage may vary.

30 or 40 below, SUCKED my first month with the model S.
I will def be preheating before I open the garage,
but even then it sux a lot of juice.
My 60D at 350 KM, gets like 250 in the winter.
AC doesn't use nearly as much.
Also 15K of driving later, and I've experienced ZERO battery loss. (6 months)

I have a pano roof with a sun roof, in Pennsylavania and have not experienced any draft/warm air escaping from the sun roof. I do notice at high speeds (above 65/70 on highways) a bit of a cold draft coming from the rear, driver-side window. SC told me they didn't sense it when going up to 55, and that since there's no frame on top of door, some air movement is expected. Ah well.. it is what it is.

I live in Pennsylvania, and my current car has a sun roof. In the winter, cold air oozes from that glass panel with ease, and its only a sunroof section of the roof, not the entire roof. This would worry me that there would be a significant amount of additional energy used in keeping cabin warm through winter drives. I think this would be amplified in colder climates such as Massachusetts, Canada, etc. Anyone else have a slight concern for this too?

You are correct in your assumption. The glass roof is inefficient for the climate control especially during winters. Just want to provide my perspective after having extensively driven both the steel roof (which I own) and glass roof Model S (have gotten them as loaners on multiple occasions from Tesla). I find the steel roof to be much cozier in the winter months and I find the car more efficient and the heat (on auto) dialing down sooner than in a glass roof model.

Just yesterday it was a 26 degree day and I could constantly feel the cold oozing out of the glass roof in my loaner and had to crank the heat up to 76 degrees over riding the auto mode. Whereas in my steel roof ModelS I barely go a few minutes on 74 and then have to dial it down to 71 or something no matter the outside temps.

Based on my multiple disappointing experience with the glass roof I simply can not recommend it. It looks great and is much “sexier” but certainly not practical.

Check out also Bjorn Nyland’s video on YouTube about how he has insulated majority of the glass panel in his X during winters for this very reason. Tesla needs to start thinking more about practicality IMHO and not just got for extravagant features/ looks.

You are correct in your assumption. The glass roof is inefficient for the climate control especially during winters. Just want to provide my perspective after having extensively driven both the steel roof (which I own) and glass roof Model S (have gotten them as loaners on multiple occasions from Tesla). I find the steel roof to be much cozier in the winter months and I find the car more efficient and the heat (on auto) dialing down sooner than in a glass roof model.

Just yesterday it was a 26 degree day and I could constantly feel the cold oozing out of the glass roof in my loaner and had to crank the heat up to 76 degrees over riding the auto mode. Whereas in my steel roof ModelS I barely go a few minutes on 74 and then have to dial it down to 71 or something no matter the outside temps.

Based on my multiple disappointing experience with the glass roof I simply can not recommend it. It looks great and is much “sexier” but certainly not practical.

Check out also Bjorn Nyland’s video on YouTube about how he has insulated majority of the glass panel in his X during winters for this very reason. Tesla needs to start thinking more about practicality IMHO and not just got for extravagant features/ looks.

Great news. Everyone in cold places should wait for non-premium version. Outta the way, eskimos.

Highway speeds around 32f and below with a glass roof is very cold. Bundle up.

Did not put a coat on Thanksgiving night, and driving home at 80MPH had to crank the heat up big time. Should have pulled over and put a coat on, but with the seat heater on kept driving. My head and chest felt like I was standing in front of a blast freezer. I’m sure at slower speeds it wouldn’t have been as cold, but lesson learned.

Highway speeds around 32f and below with a glass roof is very cold. Bundle up.

Did not put a coat on Thanksgiving night, and driving home at 80MPH had to crank the heat up big time. Should have pulled over and put a coat on, but with the seat heater on kept driving. My head and chest felt like I was standing in front of a blast freezer. I’m sure at slower speeds it wouldn’t have been as cold, but lesson learned.

You'd think they'd test out these scenarios before coming out with an all glass roof right? I'd have been pissed if I'd spent extra money only to find myself freezing during winter months and losing efficiency big time by having to crank up the heat. Sorry to hear of your experience. The all glass roof and the falcon wing doors are one of the biggest reasons thats preventing us from getting the X as our second Tesla. We should wait.....

You'd think they'd test out these scenarios before coming out with an all glass roof right? I'd have been pissed if I'd spent extra money only to find myself freezing during winter months and losing efficiency big time by having to crank up the heat. Sorry to hear of your experience. The all glass roof and the falcon wing doors are one of the biggest reasons thats preventing us from getting the X as our second Tesla. We should wait.....

07uHROA.jpg

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't make a metal roofed car anymore and I'm not sure they ever plan to. Ironically the Model X probably has the least glass area of any of the cars on offer.

Everybody has design centers in Southern California, but Tesla is also based in California. For urban Californians, cold areas are something you visit (like for skiing), it isn't something you have to deal with for months on end every day.

Dropping the solid metal roof was IMO a mistake on Tesla's part. It may be cheaper for them. With the aluminum roof they need to stamp out the part, reinforce it, insulate it, and it probably installs somewhat differently from the powered glass roof. The new solid glass roof is easier to make and probably installs pretty much the same way as the powered roof, just with no electrical hookups.

Extra glass, especially on the roof, just makes the car hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Even if the glass is treated to block UV and infrared, you will still have loss because glass is a poor insulator and it's going to let some heat in or out.

I'm glad I got my car before they dropped the solid roof.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and jsmay311
Unfortunately Tesla doesn't make a metal roofed car anymore and I'm not sure they ever plan to. Ironically the Model X probably has the least glass area of any of the cars on offer.

WHAAAATTT?!?!?!!? Holy Cow! I wasn't aware of this. This has got to be the dumbest decision ever. Tesla needs to realize that with the Model 3 crowd practicality is going to take precedence over coolness and every other factor. And that the Model 3 folks are going to be lot less forgiving than the S and X ones. And an all glass roof isn't a good idea especially in how it leads to reduced cabin comfort and increased inefficiency in climate control and battery usage.

Well, with that...... boy am I glad I got my metal roof S when I did. The only time I wished I had a glass roof was when I realized there was no good bike rack option for a metal roof owner except for getting a custom hitch installation. Metal ones cannot take a roof rack and theres no trunk based bike racks that work on the Model S.

Yeah, I don't know Tesla's obsession with glass roofs. Makes no sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
Unfortunately Tesla doesn't make a metal roofed car anymore and I'm not sure they ever plan to.

WHAAAATTT?!?!?!!? Holy Cow! I wasn't aware of this.

That’s probably because it’s not true.

The Model 3 will have a metal/non-glass standard roof, as evidenced by the press kit (A) listing the glass roof as part of the Premium Upgrades Package and (B) listing two different front row head room dimensions: 40.3" for the glass roof and 39.6" for the standard roof.

Press Kit | Tesla

The Model 3 will have a metal/non-glass standard roof, as evidenced by the press kit (A) listing the glass roof as part of the Premium Upgrades Package, and (B) listing two different front row head room dimensions: 40.3" for the glass roof and 39.6" for the standard roof.

Press Kit | Tesla

OK, thanks. But then why did they decide to do away with the metal option for the Model S? Or is there still a way to get the metal roof in the S? Confused.

24,000 miles on my 90d delivered end ‘16, North Idaho, full glass roof.... love it. Park outside and plugged in at night, very easy to preheat and snow clear... time charge for when you leave works good for getting pack warmer... car just rallies on snowy roads... blows my trusty turbo Subaru away in winter handling...

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: galbrecht7 and DR61

The Model 3 will have a metal/non-glass standard roof, as evidenced by the press kit (A) listing the glass roof as part of the Premium Upgrades Package and (B) listing two different front row head room dimensions: 40.3" for the glass roof and 39.6" for the standard roof.

Press Kit | Tesla

I was under the impression the Model 3 had the same roof options as the current Model S, but I stand corrected.

This has got to be the dumbest decision ever. Tesla needs to realize that with the Model 3 crowd practicality is going to take precedence over coolness and every other factor.
This may be the lowest price Tesla car being produced but it is still a $35,000 base car whose competition are BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes so I'd be willing to bet that practicality is, at best, second on the list of precedence.