Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone's back up camera sucks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model y's camera is the worst of all the Tesla's I've owned and seen. Mobile ranger said the standard, "it's within Tesla specs" mumbo jumbo. I can't be the only one with a blurry back up camera right?

I'll show you two photos: one from my y and from my 3 and see if you can tell which is which.

IMG_20200717_165928.jpg
IMG_20200717_165854.jpg

My model y's camera is the worst of all the Tesla's I've owned and seen. Mobile ranger said the standard, "it's within Tesla specs" mumbo jumbo. I can't be the only one with a blurry back up camera right?

I'll show you two photos: one from my y and from my 3 and see if you can tell which is which.

View attachment 571957 View attachment 571956
We also noticed it’s not as good as others, and way behind the E-Tron. For having better “FSD”, it’s odd Tesla has the inferior backup/360/blindspot/cross-traffic technology

I complained about the orange filter that seems to be on the front and side cameras. Part of my service ticket. I was told that was how they are designed and its not a fault with the camera. Red shirts are the same.

Attachments

• Left Repeater Shirt.jpg
    Left Repeater Shirt.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • RedShirt.jpg
    RedShirt.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 59
I see a difference but I don’t see a problem.
There isn't a problem, and it is within Tesla "spec". I just wanted it on record saying there was a difference between the rear camera and front/repeater cameras. Most "360 degree" cameras all look similar in image. I accepted their answer and am not making an issue out of it. I just found it odd that there is such a color difference.

Interesting. The second picture is
definitely worse (so I'm assuming it's from you MY) and looks like the camera is looking through a wire screen. There's a superimposed mesh of tiny orange diamonds on the image. I've never seen this before, but it would definately seem to me there's a problem with the camera sensor or electronics that scans the sensor to serialize the video data. As an electronics engineer, I would look for a HW problem after seeing such an image.

I have not noticed any issues with my camera but I have very little to compare it to as the one in my previous car (16 Acura RDX) was okay but nothing like the Tesla's. The image is so much larger it is a big improvement for me and I have to say adding the side camera images was a great improvement.

There isn't a problem, and it is within Tesla "spec". I just wanted it on record saying there was a difference between the rear camera and front/repeater cameras. Most "360 degree" cameras all look similar in image. I accepted their answer and am not making an issue out of it. I just found it odd that there is such a color difference.
My understanding is the rear camera was designed to be a backup camera for us to see on screen, but when Tesla later added the ability to view the front and side camera feeds, it came with the caveat that the hardware was spec’d for the Autopilot computer, which doesn’t care about the sepia tint. Thus the image quality isn’t pleasing to the human eye.

Reactions: SEndicott