Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything better then pilot sport 4s tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I do not like Michelin tires and will never buy them again... you're mostly paying for marketing and not tire. They are very expensive and not really any better than other performance tires brands out there. To that end, I'm a big fan of the Hankook Ventus V12 summer performance tires and have had them on all my Teslas and BMWs, and they're about half the cost of the Michelins with similar, or better, performance.

Whatever you get, stay away from the continental extreme contact sport tires. I have burned through more than half the tread in 7000 miles, driving it the same way that I drive every other tire that lasts at least to the 20k mark. A bit surprised at these because they're a 340TA which is harder than the 300TA PS4S, you'd think they should last a little longer.

Reactions: Spice_1
Personally I do not like Michelin tires and will never buy them again... you're mostly paying for marketing and not tire. They are very expensive and not really any better than other performance tires brands out there. To that end, I'm a big fan of the Hankook Ventus V12 summer performance tires and have had them on all my Teslas and BMWs, and they're about half the cost of the Michelins with similar, or better, performance.
There is a reason why the highest performance cars in the world, record-setting cars, etc use Michelin and it is definitely not because of marketing...

Summer Max Performance tires do not get better than PS4S, and it's no contest when it comes to 300 treadwear rated street tires.

This site says Pirelli P Zero PZ4 is a close second - Pirelli P Zero vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (2022 Update)

Tire Rack says otherwise - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

With All Season High Performance tires we have the Continental DWS06+ at the top, although Tire Rack says Bridgestones are tied with it - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Good performance tires, I was also looking at Bridgestone potenza sports
@Spice_1 I've been really liking the Bridgestone Potenza Sport on my 2021 M3P. I have them in 245/45R18 on 18x8.5" wheels. Much more grip dry and wet than the OE Pirelli PZ4 tires. Also none of that obnoxious squealing in hard driving that the PZ4 did.

I haven't used the PS4S, can't make a direct comparison there. I would guess that these Potenza Sport have stiffer, more responsive sidewalls, at the cost of a firmer ride. In 18" I like that tradeoff. From reviews overall grip is probably comparable.

I think for a big grip upgrade from PS4S you would need to go down in treadwear, to something like Continental ExtremeContact Force or Goodyear Supercar SC3. M3P friendly sizing of those is limited, but they can work if you have the right sized wheels. Years ago I used (200TW?) Bridgestone RE-11 which were definitely higher performing than Michelin PS2 (300TW?) of their day, but I was doing track days back then. For pure street use conventional wisdom is there's no reason to go below 300-ish TW. That said I am considering trying either of the aforementioned tires (Conti ECF or Goodyear SC3) on my M3P...but I'd need new wheels...dilemma!

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
There is a reason why the highest performance cars in the world, record-setting cars, etc use Michelin and it is definitely not because of marketing...

Sure, but you can get comparable, equally performing tires for half the price.

Also, marketing includes sponsoring all those "highest performance" and "record setting" cars... so just follow the money. You're all paying for that marketing every time you buy a Michelin tire.

In my experience, they are very good for the money but anytime you are making that disclaimer, there's a tradeoff. On my BMWs, they do not ride as well nor are they as quiet. Handling while driving on city streets is similar but that's as far as I would take them. Wet conditions? Not even close.

Reactions: RevToRed and dfwatt

Also, marketing includes sponsoring all those "highest performance" and "record setting" cars... so just follow the money. You're all paying for that marketing every time you buy a Michelin tire.
Ventus v12? Lol.
I think I tried them like a decade ago and they weren't any good even then.

The PS4S and the PSS before them are/were incredible combinations of dry/wet grip and longevity.

Reactions: Mash and RevToRed
Ventus v12? Lol.
I think I tried them like a decade ago and they weren't any good even then.

The PS4S and the PSS before them are/were incredible combinations of dry/wet grip and longevity.

To each his own, then.

The Hankooks get consistently great reviews.

Tesla is shipping Model 3s with the Hankook Ventus S1 evos as the OEM tire now.

Sure, at more than twice the cost.

Ok perhaps not twice the cost (prices and availability are always changing), but pretty close. Also, the PS4S are on back order. The Hankooks you can get today.

1660747915346.png
1660747897105.png

You objectively can't though based on calibrated testing by numerous sources.

You can certainly get cheaper tires. You can't get cheaper equally performing ones though.

Some folks will feel X cheaper for Y less performance/safety/warranty/etc is a worthwhile trade- that's going to be up to the individual. But it's definitely a trade-off in both directions.

Last edited:
Ok perhaps not twice the cost (prices and availability are always changing), but pretty close. Also, the PS4S are on back order. The Hankooks you can get today.

View attachment 841912View attachment 841911

Your math is terribly off. 2x more = $557.98 It's about 1.62 more. It's MUCH closer to 1.5x more than 2x more. Why do you even mention in stock? It seems as you are throwing in random things just to support your argument.

ALL that being said, you are quoting the wrong tire, wrong size. It's a 235/35/20 tire not a 245/35/21. They aren't 21s. LOL

These are the Tesla Michelin Sport 4S. There are non-Tesla ones. The price is $402 per tire and in stock. The price is 1.44x more, not nearly 2x more. It is also likely the 235 size Michelin is just as wide as 245 tires in other brands. There are other factors, such as the Michelin come with 6 years 30,000 mile warranty and the Hankook none.

1660749744337.png

Last edited: