Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything I'll miss upgrading to "just" a M3 SR+ from Audi A4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering trading in my 2015 A4 premium plus to a new M3 SR+.

Will I miss anything?

My two main concerns:

- Will be a big downgrade from a 10 speaker Bose audio system to a 6 speaker partial premium system with no sub?

- Giving up Quattro AWD, which I'm a huge fan of, for a RWD setup. Granted I read/heard that it still has awesome handling. A little concerned though since I live in NJ. Winter tires would probably be a must.

Reactions: SlimJim

Will I miss anything?

My two main concerns:

- Will be a big downgrade from a 10 speaker Bose audio system to a 6 speaker partial premium system with no sub?

- Giving up Quattro AWD, which I'm a huge fan of, for a RWD setup. Granted I read/heard that it still has awesome handling. A little concerned though since I live in NJ. Winter tires would probably be a must.
Trips to the gas station.

• Funny
Reactions: rdskill and RayK
The Model 3 might be noisier on the freeway then the Audi. You can confirm this by renting a Model 3 for a day using the Turo app, then driving it and your A4 on the same freeways to compare. I did this and it really helped me to feel confident that I’d thoroughly evaluated before buying.

Might need to be watchful and avoid renting an older Model 3, since apparently interior noise was improved over time.

The Audi's seats are, in my personal opinion, far superior.

You will lose the adjustable thigh support, the cooling (if you have it), the adjustable head restraint, and the range of adjustments for those you don't completely lose will be narrower (can't tilt the squab/seat base as much, for example).

Thanks, guys. I'm more so looking for the not so obvious stuff (examples of obvious stuff: dealing with dealers, gas, acceleration, etc.). My fault for not being more clear.

Also, as much I'd love to get a M3 LR, it's way above my budget. I wouldn't even mind a similarly priced LR used, but it then becomes not worth it since I'll be getting a $5k rebate from NJ for a new one.

Main things I'm wondering is:
- Will the partial premium system be a huge downgrade if audio quality is something I value?
- Will the RWD system give me worse handling then my AWD A4?

The Model 3 might be noisier on the freeway then the Audi. You can confirm this by renting a Model 3 for a day using the Turo app, then driving it and your A4 on the same freeways to compare. I did this and it really helped me to feel confident that I’d thoroughly evaluated before buying.

Might need to be watchful and avoid renting an older Model 3, since apparently interior noise was improved over time.

Good point. I'll keep my ear open when/if I test drive it.

The Audi's seats are, in my personal opinion, far superior.

You will lose the adjustable thigh support, the cooling (if you have it), the adjustable head restraint, and the range of adjustments for those you don't completely lose will be narrower (can't tilt the squab/seat base as much, for example).

interesting. The M3 seats actually look sportier and seem softer from the videos I watched. But I see your point about the adjustability.

Moved on from an A6 back in December. IMO, the Tesla is far superior. Here is what I miss from my A6:

* Better seats
* Fit and finish is better
* Integrated garage door opener (Elon mentioned they may add this via SW update)
* AM radio (I found the streaming equivalent)

That's it. We forget we even had an Audi these days. Oh, and the RWD was perfectly fine in the weather here in Chicago.

A few things you may find about the M3 that surprise you. Bigger than you thought trunk and the sound system is better than you think.

Will I miss anything?

My two main concerns:

To speak on the audio side of your concern, I went from a A6 Premium Plus with Bose to a Model 3 LR AWD with the Premium Sound. The Bose system was definitely better than the premium sound in the Tesla. If there was an easy way to upgrade the subwoofer, this would be one of my first mods. So i do think it will be a significant downgrade even to the partial premium sound in the lower end model 3's.

Main things I'm wondering is:
- Will the partial premium system be a huge downgrade if audio quality is something I value?
- Will the RWD system give me worse handling then my AWD A4?

The sound system is a personal preference. Partial Premium audio will not sound as full or a bit "tinny" compared to what you are listening to now in your A4. Do you care? If so, be prepared to spend money, upfront or later via upgrades, to replicate.

RWD vs AWD in NJ - Are you willing to spend money on winter tires to improve traction if you find you need it? I live in SW CT and have a RWD with Winters and would not recommend driving all seasons with RWD in the Northeast on any car.

The sound system is a personal preference. Partial Premium audio will not sound as full or a bit "tinny" compared to what you are listening to now in your A4. Do you care? If so, be prepared to spend money, upfront or later via upgrades, to replicate.

RWD vs AWD in NJ - Are you willing to spend money on winter tires to improve traction if you find you need it? I live in SW CT and have a RWD with Winters and would not recommend driving all seasons with RWD in the Northeast on any car.

Unpopular opinion: People shouldn't be regularly driving in snowy/icy places with "all seasons" irrespective of how many driven wheels they have. The right tool for the job is important.

I’ll second the Turo suggestion. Grab one for a weekend and see if you like it.

That’s what I did and it made the car’s characteristics obvious. My guess on the Audi is that it has better fit and finish and might be a bit quieter than the Tesla.

Audi’s “uplevel” audio on their more pedestrian cars sounds like crap to me so the SR+ might be just fine. Maybe a little less bass than the A4 but then it doesn’t have to drown out the low thrum of the engine so it might be a wash. The stereo in my LR is sublime (I know I know).

Edit: If you mean handling in regular conditions I find the RWD Tesla chassis to be far more engaging than the AWD A4. Nothing better than isolating power and steering to different ends of the car. The Tesla handles beautifully and I don’t think you’ll miss anything in that department. Might even be an upgrade. The Audi will win in the snow but the RWD is no slouch there...

7C19C4BE-1248-4358-A737-4E7100A75072.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC