Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything I'll miss upgrading to "just" a M3 SR+ from Audi A4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not nonsense, it is a fact. Higher initial prices hold even cheaper model 3 cars at steady price on used car market. There were a lot of articles about it over last half year. Here is one of them: Tesla Model 3 Holds Value Better Than Every Other Car In USA — By Far | CleanTechnica

People need to be careful when looking at some depreciation analysis reports. Depreciation percentages are typically based on resale value against original MSRP which gives cars that sell at or near MSRP a misleading advantage.

Example:
Car “A” has an MSRP of $50,000 and sells new for $50,000.
Car “B” has an MSRP of $57,000 and sells new for $50,000.

Even if both of these cars have the exact same resale percentage, car “A” would have lost more cash value e.g., if resale for both is 80% of original MSRP, car “A” would’ve lost $10,000 while car “B” would’ve only lost $4,400.

Even if car "A" had a resale value of 90% and car "B" had a resale value of 80%, car "A" would've still lost more in value from selling price.

Not that Teslas haven't had good resales but because they typically sell at full MSRP new, their resale percentage can be misleadingly high when compared against cars sold at a discount (which is most other cars). This is the same reason why Saturn, which also usually sold at full MSRP at least in its early years, did misleadingly well in resale value comparisons. It wasn't necessarily that the cars held their values better, it had to do with how resale percentages are usually calculated.

The Model 3 will be much more sporty to drive than the Audi. I cross-shopped the current SQ5, S6 and S5, and all of them were very nice with a posh interior (the only thing I really miss) and a nice sounding exhaust (albeit artificial), but none of them compared to the drive of the 3. Acceleration will be similar, but the 3 feels more like a sports car. The SR+ will almost match all of them in acceleration and handle better with a very similar, buttoned-down super-solid ride. The LR AWD and Perf embarrass them all in acceleration/handling.

I can't comment on SR+ audio system, but the premium audio with a good source is the only car audio system I've heard that came close to a good home audio system in clarity, neutrality and soundstage. We previously owned a Q5 Premium Plus and the audio system in it was absolute garbage. I think you'll be fine with the SR+ sound system.

Reactions: asus389
The only thing I really dislike about our 2018 Model 3 is the wind noise. Tesla is miles ahead in almost every other department, but the car is way noisier at highway speeds than practically any other car built in the last 5 years that I've driven. I haven't driven an Audi recently, but our other car is a 2016 Civic, and sometimes I will prefer to take it on highway trips simply because it's quieter. I hear that it has been improved for newer models, but if you're coming from an Audi, I would highly recommend a highway trip in one before buying.

The only thing I really dislike about our 2018 Model 3 is the wind noise. Tesla is miles ahead in almost every other department, but the car is way noisier at highway speeds than practically any other car built in the last 5 years that I've driven. I haven't driven an Audi recently, but our other car is a 2016 Civic, and sometimes I will prefer to take it on highway trips simply because it's quieter. I hear that it has been improved for newer models, but if you're coming from an Audi, I would highly recommend a highway trip in one before buying.
That’s primarily a build consistency issue. Stemming from misalignment at windshield-roof seam, loose/misaligned parts on side mirror housing, etc. Not so much “used to be, now fixed“ thing as rarer to have cars come off the line with bad noises.

Also noise level is partly subjected as people can precise a given frequency differently versus other sound frequencies.

And Teslas, and EV in general have this other odd effect that their quietness can make certain noises that are still there stand out more.

The Model 3 will be much more sporty to drive than the Audi. I cross-shopped the current SQ5, S6 and S5, and all of them were very nice with a posh interior (the only thing I really miss) and a nice sounding exhaust (albeit artificial), but none of them compared to the drive of the 3. Acceleration will be similar, but the 3 feels more like a sports car. The SR+ will almost match all of them in acceleration and handle better with a very similar, buttoned-down super-solid ride. The LR AWD and Perf embarrass them all in acceleration/handling.

I can't comment on SR+ audio system, but the premium audio with a good source is the only car audio system I've heard that came close to a good home audio system in clarity, neutrality and soundstage. We previously owned a Q5 Premium Plus and the audio system in it was absolute garbage. I think you'll be fine with the SR+ sound system.

Well then. Can't wait to experience the act of embarrassing a brand I adore.

Just going to have to hold off for a good deal for the LR AWD. If possible...

Good read. Thanks for sharing your experience. A lot of good ones in this thread. I'm sure I'll miss the fit and finish of an Audi.

...I'm sure I'll miss the fit and finish of an Audi.

I actually don’t miss that aspect at all, despite how impressive Audi build quality is.

Drove my wife’s Q5 TDi on a 400-mile road trip the other day and even though it’s quieter than my Model 3, I really missed the Tesla’s seats, infotainment/navigation, climate control, audio system quality and auto-steer.

Reactions: SammichLover
I actually don’t miss that aspect at all, despite how impressive Audi build quality is.

Drove my wife’s Q5 TDi on a 400-mile road trip the other day and even though it’s quieter than my Model 3, I really missed the Tesla’s seats, infotainment/navigation, climate control, audio system quality and auto-steer.

Was the Q5 significantly quieter?

As a q7 driver, I can say it is as quiet as a library
Yeah, the Model 3 is quiet in a very different way. The Model 3 makes less noise but it doesn't acoustically insulate and isolate the occupants of the cabin from the rest of the world anywhere to the extent those other vehicles do.

So you definitely hear the world around you, in a way you don't in any ICE vehicle. The result is you are far more connected to "the road", the larger world outside the cabin, to a degree I haven't felt in a very long time. If you find you prefer the "library", a padded room version of quiet instead then that's something you'll miss. It won't be nearly as pronounced vs the A4 but it is there.

Last edited:
Considering trading in my 2015 A4 premium plus to a new M3 SR+.

Will I miss anything?

My two main concerns:

- Will be a big downgrade from a 10 speaker Bose audio system to a 6 speaker partial premium system with no sub?

- Giving up Quattro AWD, which I'm a huge fan of, for a RWD setup. Granted I read/heard that it still has awesome handling. A little concerned though since I live in NJ. Winter tires would probably be a must.

I too am in NJ and moved from an A4 Quattro to the Model 3 Dual Motor. I wouldn’t recommend the RWD for NJ - for a few extra bucks, I prefer the security of AWD. I agree with most posters that Audi’s fit/finish are superior but it ends there. I absolutely don’t miss the numerous expensive repair and oil change trips to the dealership. Buy the M3 - you won’t regret it. I’ve had mine for nearly 2 years now and haven’t regretted buying it.

I too am in NJ and moved from an A4 Quattro to the Model 3 Dual Motor. I wouldn’t recommend the RWD for NJ - for a few extra bucks, I prefer the security of AWD. I agree with most posters that Audi’s fit/finish are superior but it ends there. I absolutely don’t miss the numerous expensive repair and oil change trips to the dealership. Buy the M3 - you won’t regret it. I’ve had mine for nearly 2 years now and haven’t regretted buying it.

TeamJersey! Agreed on all counts - I traded a Cadillac for the Model 3; the interior on the Caddy was surely a lot more plush and higher quality - no question there.
But the rest of the car is such a quantum leap, I don’t miss it one bit.