Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything I'll miss upgrading to "just" a M3 SR+ from Audi A4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be a good idea to consider something like a used 2018 LR?

Won't be getting the NJ rebate of $5k though...

I think that's a very sane idea. You won't get the $5k rebate, but you also won't pay sales tax either - that waiver applies to both new AND used EVs. So compared to the other 49 states, we're still way ahead of the game.

Even better if you can find a used LR with Enhanced Autopilot or Full-Self Driving!

Reactions: SammichLover
Probably been said here but.....you won’t miss gas stations, but make sure you have your charging figured out, You won’t get 300+mile range. Trickle charging is almost hopelessly inadequate. Make sure you have a way to guarantee quick and efficient charging. Otherwise, I traded a 540 for this M3 sport and it’s ridiculous how much I love this car

One of the upsides of living in NJ is that it's a fairly small state. Nowhere you can go here that's out of range of a Supercharger.... So that's a serious upside!

Wonder what a similar thread in an Audi forum would look like.
Something nice is to be able to rent a full loaded Audi with WiFi included for very reasonable price using SilverCar at many major US airports.

I imagine that many people renting an Audi for a week or so don't want to return it... or may be want to get one for their next car.

I wish Tesla provides such rental possibility. When you own a Tesla, you don't want to drive any other car when you travel.

I know, there is Turo but you need to make an appointment with the owner to get and return the car,
you may have to pay for delivery option, cleaning, so it start to be quite expensive,
especially because you cannot use I believe your own car insurance.

When travelling you need more timing flexibility so it is often more simple to rent directly at the airport especially
if you can a full travel package combination. In fact I was able to get a Silvercar using Travelocity reservation.

Last edited:
I'd echo others' advice who have suggested trying one if you're unsure. You won't get any other balanced opinion, and what you do get probably won't apply to your personal circumstances.

I've had an SR+ for 10 months, and not yet thought about the range. The sound system seems pretty good to me and having recently had a LR as a courtesy car, they aren't worlds apart. The SR+ is quite a bit quieter than the LR which has a lot of high pitched front motor whine at 40mph compared to the SR+. The speed and handling is great and I don't regret my choice ever.

BUT

In 3 years and 3 months when my finance is up and it's crunch time, I'm going to use the equity I have in the car to get the P3D because despite the above, I have FOMO, and want "the fast one". I should be able to afford it then, I couldn't when I got my SR+.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Considering trading in my 2015 A4 premium plus to a new M3 SR+.
Will I miss anything?
My two main concerns:
- Will be a big downgrade from a 10 speaker Bose audio system to a 6 speaker partial premium system with no sub?
- Giving up Quattro AWD, which I'm a huge fan of, for a RWD setup. Granted I read/heard that it still has awesome handling.
A little concerned though since I live in NJ. Winter tires would probably be a must.
Honestly, would you bye a 2WD Audi?

If I was living in NJ, I would certainly consider getting the Model 3 LR AWD, because of the additional range and traction during winter.

It is another step up price, but you will get it back when reselling the car or if you keep the car longer you will get less worry about battery degradation.

One thing about the audio system and test driving. Make sure you listen from a quality media source on your phone. Or better yet high quality on a thumb drive. I've never driven an SR+ but the top-end Model 3 sound system is held back by the bundled Slacker streaming service, even to my not-so-discerning ears. If you care about audio quality a lot that's not how you'll be listening to things, if you can help it.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
Not from an Audi but I came from a 2015 Mercedes C300 4Matic with premium package. The Merc's Burmester audio system is definitely superior but not by that much compare to my SR+, if you stream or listen to FM radio the source won't be that great anyway. I live in PNW so not much snow at all and I can't really tell the difference between 4Matic and SR+ even in very wet conditions, the Merc with its staggered tires do feel more planted at higher speeds. I feel that the SR+'s seats are far more comfortable than the Merc's, maybe Audi is better in that regard...

I recently came from a mid-level 2014 BMW X3 xDrive. I am in CA and we didn't have a wet spring so haven't really noticed the lack of AWD although I am sure I will at some point in the future. I can say the stock SR+ audio is way better than the Hi-Fi BMW audio (12 speakers including 2 8" underseat subs). The front door woofers are better than the underseats and a little money spent on upgrading the 3 dash speakers goes a long way. However if you like lots of bass, you will probably be spending a bit of money on some type of custom enclosure or sacrificing the lower trunk space for a larger sub than will fit where the stock sub fits regardless of whether you get LR or SR+.

However, I would say that if you are making lots of sacrifices to even buy this car then you should probably wait until you can afford what you really want. If you are looking to buy used from Tesla, they are great deals but only because they usually include extra features like FSD. For example:

$40,000 for SR+ RWD New ($35,000 after rebate)
$49,000 for LR AWD New ($44,000 after rebate)
$50,000 for 2018 LR AWD w/ FSD

It sounds like you would spend a few thousand upgrading from the base audio and still might miss AWD and have less range, that's a lot of trade offs.

Wonder what a similar thread in an Audi forum would look like.

To be fair, a lot of people here gave me an unbiased pros and cons. Audi interiors are second to none and most acknowledge this.

I'd echo others' advice who have suggested trying one if you're unsure. You won't get any other balanced opinion, and what you do get probably won't apply to your personal circumstances.

I've had an SR+ for 10 months, and not yet thought about the range. The sound system seems pretty good to me and having recently had a LR as a courtesy car, they aren't worlds apart. The SR+ is quite a bit quieter than the LR which has a lot of high pitched front motor whine at 40mph compared to the SR+. The speed and handling is great and I don't regret my choice ever.

BUT

In 3 years and 3 months when my finance is up and it's crunch time, I'm going to use the equity I have in the car to get the P3D because despite the above, I have FOMO, and want "the fast one". I should be able to afford it then, I couldn't when I got my SR+.

"Pretty good" MIGHT be ok for me since I won't be spending that much time in it. Or at least I think...

I also think I'd probably do the same if I get a RWD. Sell it after 3 years and get a faster, AWD one.

One thing about the audio system and test driving. Make sure you listen from a quality media source on your phone. Or better yet high quality on a thumb drive. I've never driven an SR+ but the top-end Model 3 sound system is held back by the bundled Slacker streaming service, even to my not-so-discerning ears. If you care about audio quality a lot that's not how you'll be listening to things, if you can help it.

I have a huge FLAC library that I stream from my phone. Let's just say I'm very into audio quality, but am thinking of sacrificing a little, especially since I lately have been mainly listening to audiobooks and podcasts on my way to work and back.

Not from an Audi but I came from a 2015 Mercedes C300 4Matic with premium package. The Merc's Burmester audio system is definitely superior but not by that much compare to my SR+, if you stream or listen to FM radio the source won't be that great anyway. I live in PNW so not much snow at all and I can't really tell the difference between 4Matic and SR+ even in very wet conditions, the Merc with its staggered tires do feel more planted at higher speeds. I feel that the SR+'s seats are far more comfortable than the Merc's, maybe Audi is better in that regard...

From what I'm seeing, and only just seeing, is that it seems like M3's seats are just "softer". Some people like that and some people don't.

I would kill for air vented seats...

I recently came from a mid-level 2014 BMW X3 xDrive. I am in CA and we didn't have a wet spring so haven't really noticed the lack of AWD although I am sure I will at some point in the future. I can say the stock SR+ audio is way better than the Hi-Fi BMW audio (12 speakers including 2 8" underseat subs). The front door woofers are better than the underseats and a little money spent on upgrading the 3 dash speakers goes a long way. However if you like lots of bass, you will probably be spending a bit of money on some type of custom enclosure or sacrificing the lower trunk space for a larger sub than will fit where the stock sub fits regardless of whether you get LR or SR+.

However, I would say that if you are making lots of sacrifices to even buy this car then you should probably wait until you can afford what you really want. If you are looking to buy used from Tesla, they are great deals but only because they usually include extra features like FSD. For example:

$40,000 for SR+ RWD New ($35,000 after rebate)
$49,000 for LR AWD New ($44,000 after rebate)
$50,000 for 2018 LR AWD w/ FSD

It sounds like you would spend a few thousand upgrading from the base audio and still might miss AWD and have less range, that's a lot of trade offs.

Thanks for your input. To be honest, don't think I really need FSD...

And what rebate on used cars???

Non-sense. Keep in mind that over time the initial MSRP was way higher so the depreciation is there as it should be just like other cars. Some exceptions with sellers asking crazy prices and crazy buyers actually paying them, don't change this.
That’s not nonsense, it is a fact. Higher initial prices hold even cheaper model 3 cars at steady price on used car market. There were a lot of articles about it over last half year. Here is one of them: Tesla Model 3 Holds Value Better Than Every Other Car In USA — By Far | CleanTechnica

Considering trading in my 2015 A4 premium plus to a new M3 SR+.

Will I miss anything?

My two main concerns:

- Will be a big downgrade from a 10 speaker Bose audio system to a 6 speaker partial premium system with no sub?

- Giving up Quattro AWD, which I'm a huge fan of, for a RWD setup. Granted I read/heard that it still has awesome handling. A little concerned though since I live in NJ. Winter tires would probably be a must.

Just because you're asking these questions, I'd recommend a used LR like you mentioned in another post. People seem to be getting really good discounts. Of course, still test drive both. Who knows, you might find the SR+ works for you.

Non-sense. Keep in mind that over time the initial MSRP was way higher so the depreciation is there as it should be just like other cars. Some exceptions with sellers asking crazy prices and crazy buyers actually paying them, don't change this.

I got a trade in quote for mine after 10 months and Tesla will give me around 90% of what I paid for it. I've never heard of that with an ICE car?

Also, what people are selling for and what people are prepared to buy for defines the value, nothing else does.

Last edited:
To be fair, a lot of people here gave me an unbiased pros and cons. Audi interiors are second to none and most acknowledge this.

"Pretty good" MIGHT be ok for me since I won't be spending that much time in it. Or at least I think...

I also think I'd probably do the same if I get a RWD. Sell it after 3 years and get a faster, AWD one.

I have a huge FLAC library that I stream from my phone. Let's just say I'm very into audio quality, but am thinking of sacrificing a little, especially since I lately have been mainly listening to audiobooks and podcasts on my way to work and back.

From what I'm seeing, and only just seeing, is that it seems like M3's seats are just "softer". Some people like that and some people don't.

I would kill for air vented seats...

Thanks for your input. To be honest, don't think I really need FSD...

And what rebate on used cars???

I came from a 2018 Mercedes C63 AMG and now am in a 2020 LR AWD. For me personally there were very distinct tradeoffs:

1. Road Noise: On the highway its definitely noticeable, so much so that you have to turn the music up to not hear as much wind noise. I dont have a noise reduction kit so I cant say if that makes a huge difference or not.

2. Sound System: While the M3 AWD sound system is amazing, personally I think the Burmeister sound system sounds a little better and more immersive. That being said you will get to hear some notes clearer and crisper at slower speeds because there is no engine noise. So overall better when driving under 55, worse when at highwayspeeds.

3. Handling - The mercedes had better handling, but the M3 feels more confident if you are just your average driver and not pushing it.

4.The seats are much softer in the M3, but not as customizable. Personally I like this trade off because I didnt care much for how many ways the seats could be adjusted in the C63.

5.Acceleration: This one is interesting because they are both really fast but feel vastly different. The acceleration in the M3 is instant so it will put you back in your seat faster, but its very consistent through the acceleration. The C63 felt more aggresive in the acceleration as it shifts through gears, which is exciting in its own way. Overall they are both great and just feel different to me in good ways.

6. Lastly and this in my opinion is the best part: Regen braking. This is what absolutely sold me on the model 3. One pedal driving is amazing and honestly vastly superior than anything I have ever driven before. You just literally never have to hit the brakes because the car brakes itself with the motor, which in turn saves the brake pads so you almost never have to change them. I think maybe a handle of M3 owners have ever had to replace theirs and the cars been out since late 2017.

Overall they feel really different to drive but in general the M3 is a much better daily driver, and an incredibly fun car.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Just because you're asking these questions, I'd recommend a used LR like you mentioned in another post. People seem to be getting really good discounts. Of course, still test drive both. Who knows, you might find the SR+ works for you.

Are you talking about "discounts" from their used inventory? If not, what kind of discounts have you and others been seeing?

I got a trade in quote for mine after 10 months and Tesla will give me around 90% of what I paid for it. I've never heard of that with an ICE car?

Also, what people are selling for and what people are prepared to buy for defines the value, nothing else does.

Are there incentive discounts that are making new ones more appealing? This is what's happening in my situation.

6. Lastly and this in my opinion is the best part: Regen braking. This is what absolutely sold me on the model 3. One pedal driving is amazing and honestly vastly superior than anything I have ever driven before. You just literally never have to hit the brakes because the car brakes itself with the motor, which in turn saves the brake pads so you almost never have to change them. I think maybe a handle of M3 owners have ever had to replace theirs and the cars been out since late 2017.

Can't wait to try this. Sounds orgasmic.