TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anything new in the 2014 Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by AR123, May 13, 2014.

1. AR123

AR123 New Member

Hello!

Most car manufacturers add/upgrade a few features in their vehicles when going from one year to the next.
    But, haven't seen any such information about Tesla.
    Is there anything new in the 2014 Model S as compared to the 2013 version?

Just wondering.

2. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Tesla doesn't follow the typical "model year" format... When they have a new development or want to add features they do it as they are ready

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Tesla does not introduce new features on a fixed annual basis and Musk has stated that the traditional concept of a "model year" is irrelevant to him.

To Tesla a 2014 "model" is any car with a production completion date during that calendar year. During a calendar year new features are introduced when they are ready to be put into production. It is not possible to accurately predict when a new feature will be introduced.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

That said, is someone keeping a list somewhere of when specific features were introduced? It would make it a lot easier for someone buying a used car if they could look this stuff up somewhere...

5. Steve1501

Steve1501 Member

A Model S is a Model S..... just look for how it is configured, and do not be concerned with the minute differences

6. donv

donv Member

Tesla does it just like Ferrari does! No "model year" BS.

7. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

I remember there was a thread that showed what became standard over the years. I searched but couldn't find it.

8. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

It is in a Wiki, rather than a forum thread, so look there. Actually, there is one for software/firmware changes and another for options changes.

9. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

You also have to watch for which month in 2014.
    In April, the parcel shelf wasn't standard , but in May it was (I know cause I just missed it). I think parking sensors also became standard near the end of 2014.

Better to look in the Wiki. (as others have said)

10. TomServo

TomServo Member

What does the 10th digit of the VIN equal?

11. 78Lion

78Lion Member

From Decoding VIN thread above

Digit 10, Model Year:
    C = 2012
    D = 2013
    E = 2014
    F = 2015

12. TomServo

TomServo Member

Thanks, that's how I thought you could determine the YEAR of a Tesla.