Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything Peculiar About My Breaker Panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just moved into our rental (house built in the 90’s I’m told) and will be installing a 60amp breaker and hooking up a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Anything peculiar you see here? Someone mentioned a need for GFCI breaker?

35EE84BA-2CAF-4F29-8C6F-FF106C1425B8.jpeg

6E820DC5-0B00-4954-A25D-91AABDAC0AF9.jpeg

Just moved into our rental (house built in the 90’s I’m told) and will be installing a 60amp breaker and hooking up a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Anything peculiar you see here?
A) By code you can only use a 40A or 50A breaker with the 14-50 receptacle. The 14-50 receptacle is rated for up to 50A, not 60A.

B) Per the 2017 NEC if the 14-50 receptacle will be used to charge an EV it must be protected by a GFCI. This requires a GFCI circuit breaker.

will be installing a 60amp breaker and hooking up a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
You'd better not. You can't have the breaker be larger than the outlet type.

Anything peculiar you see here?
Not really--it looks like a fairly modern and tidy panel.

But as @jcanoe mentioned, any outlet that is being installed for EV charging does require a GFCI breaker now, and those are stupid expensive, like $120 or more. It's getting to where just doing the wall connector instead is kind of the more sensible choice most of the time.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
You'd better not. You can't have the breaker be larger than the outlet type.

Not really--it looks like a fairly modern and tidy panel.

But as @jcanoe mentioned, any outlet that is being installed for EV charging does require a GFCI breaker now, and those are stupid expensive, like $120 or more. It's getting to where just doing the wall connector instead is kind of the more sensible choice most of the time.

Well the wiring is tidy but it looks like there's something living in the bottom of the box :D

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can't tell what the main breaker limit says, hope it is 150A or 200A!

I suggest you consider a wall connector instead:
  • The NEMA 14-50 is at least $225 in parts (outlet $50, GFIC breaker $100, Tesla 14-50 adapter $45, mobile connector unit and cable management $30). The wall connector is $400 plus a $10 breaker, so it is at most $185 more.
  • The mobile connector charges at 32 amps on a 50 amp circuit, the wall connector charges at 40 amps on the same 50 amp circuit. If your panel can handle it and you run the correct wire, the wall connector will charge at 48 amps on a 60 amp circuit
  • The mobile connector has a 20-foot cable, the wall connector's is 24-feet
  • You get to keep the mobile connector in the car so it is not forgotten when needed
  • The wall connector has built in power sharing if you add more units
  • And it is waterproof

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Looks like you have room, but would be helpful
To know make/model of the load center (breaker box).

I would not install a 14-50 outlet at all. I would do a hard wired install which will not require a GFCI breaker. GFCI breaker will trip and cause frustration. Also, as other have mentioned you cannot put a 14-50 on a 60 amp circuit per code.

Also, if your doing this yourself make sure you use the proper wire. #6 NMB Romex is limited to 55 amps. For my install I did #6 THHN in conduit which is rated for 75 amps.

Also, I agree on using a wall connector especially now that they are available at a lower price $400.

Here is the video I did on my install.
Tesla Wall Connector EV Charger Gen 3 - Clean Install (Hidden Wires)