Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything special about mounting/balancing tires on Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...goofy?...

Yes!

I went to Pepboys in Visalia, CA for my tires, balancing as well as 4-wheel alignment with no problem. I went there because Tesla is too far--about 200 miles from my home.

However, to prevent injuries and deaths, you need to make sure to disable air suspension first before lifting the car up because the suspension system might automatically try to level itself out and violently whack someone with those tires.

Yes!

However, to prevent injuries and deaths, you need to make sure to disable air suspension first before lifting the car up because the suspension system might automatically try to level itself out and violently whack someone with those tires.

Oh, wow, you must have the new air suspension. Mine raises and lowers so slowly people wonder what I'm doing creeping into the parking space, stopping, waiting to raise above the bump stop, waiting, creeping forward, while the Air slowly raises the car a millimeter at a time.

I think most people could get out of the way before being whacked.

Additionally have the proper jack pads to protect the edge of the battery there. (small 2 x 4 piece works too)

Exactly. Do not rely on a tire shop to have adequate jack pads. Without a pad, not only can the battery get damaged, but the plastic rocker trim can also suffer from direct contact with a car lift.

2x4s and hockey pucks are at least adequate. There is a member on this forum selling what looks to be a very good homemade option with magnets for ease of use.

Next time I go for a rotation or tire change, I won't let them use a lousy padded back brace again - fortunately no damage...

20171210_155608.jpg

I called another place (Firestone) and they said they wouldn't do it because the tires were "low profile" and they'd get scratched. I decided to just take it to Tesla. It'll be $50 more for the mount/balance but at least they should be able to do it right.....

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I went to my normal mechanic to get 4 tires mounted and balanced and he didn't want to do it. Said he didn't have the right tools. Is there something special about installing tires on a Model S or is he being goofy?

I want to back to the OP. The short answer is “nothing special”. He’s being goofy.

The longer answer is that Tesla’s have some quirks shared by a large variety of other cars.

He would need jack pad adapters (a block of wood or hockey puck can work) just like BMW, Mercedes, MINIs, Porsche, etc. nothing weird there.

Many Tesla have air suspension and it needs to be locked out (Jack mode), again many cars have this from grandpa’s cadillac to BMWs.

He should use the correct tools and not impact wrenches, but this is a chronic problem in the industry - fast usually wins over quality, and the vehicle model is irrelevant.

Finally, he should use low profile weights, but they are also very common and used on many cars with tight wheel clearance.

This should all be obvious. Not rocket science.

I’ve decided after a long time that I will be happy when a mechanic feeds me some BS excuse to not do work. Much rather walk away then have them butcher my car. Take it as their clumsy way of saying “I don’t know that” or “I’m scared of that”.

• Informative
Reactions: Soundchasr
I went to my normal mechanic to get 4 tires mounted and balanced and he didn't want to do it. Said he didn't have the right tools. Is there something special about installing tires on a Model S or is he being goofy?

Thanks!

Leaning toward "nothing special" as the shop probably quotes you based on perceived difficulty, car value and tire size.... Not sure what size wheel you have on your car, but 19's and 20's aren't really considered as "low profile" so the time to mount/dismount is no different than a typical BMW 3-series or Toyota Camry on 17's.

The 21's on the Model S sounds big (because it really is) but the sidewall profile is still taller than some of BMW's performance vehicles sporting rim size upgrades so the mounting/dismounting is quite a bit easier.

All being said, don't choose any random tire shop as the bigger wheels require slightly higher end tire equipment and the techs need slightly more knowhow than your typical grease monkey that can change 14's and 15's with their eyes closed. Tire change equipment start at $3-5k and goes upwards of $20k so its somewhat more reasonable that a "better" shop charges a bit more to cover their investment.

<--- worked in supply chain for tires and occasionally messes around with tire machines for fun.

More caution should be taken when lifting to avoid damage to the battery. The car needs to be in Jack mode if you have air suspension. As with any wheel that does not have a lip, they need to use a touch-less tire mounting machine. My local Firestone had no issue and welcomed me to guide them on proper lifting method.

One other technical note--many Tesla lug nuts have thin fragile lug nut covers (decorative). Be sure to either buy a lug nut puller ($4 plastic 'tweezers') or be sure that your favorite tire shop has one, or some others method to gently and safely pull the covers. If you apply a socket (even the plastic lined ones) and apply the torque you need to loosen or tighten the lug nuts, you will damage the covers). And, FWIW, I use my local Americas Tire (Discount Tire in other parts of the US) and they have no issues. But i do have 4 hockey pucks in a ziploc bag in the trunk of each S and make the tire tech use them. All good.

I called another place (Firestone) and they said they wouldn't do it because the tires were "low profile" and they'd get scratched. I decided to just take it to Tesla. It'll be $50 more for the mount/balance but at least they should be able to do it right.....
Costco had the same attitude and Sears delayed working on the car till one of their experts was around (this was waaay back in 2013, so things might've changed by now). However America's Tire had no worries about it and have been great. They've got all the right tools and know how to work with the cars.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Absolutely nothing special at all. Many, if not most modern cars have specific lifting points which, if ignored, can result in damage and air suspension systems are quite common as well. Any decent, properly trained and equipped tire shop should know this and have no issues. If they say they do, I wouldn't trust them with ANY car.

Be sure to either buy a lug nut puller ($4 plastic 'tweezers') or be sure that your favorite tire shop has one, or some others method to gently and safely pull the covers.

The technician at the BJ's tire shop wore a pair of thin rubber gloves (surgical style) to get a grip on the lug nut covers and pull them off. It only took him a few minutes to safely remove them all, so this seems like an acceptable method.