Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything special to do with tire pressure sensors before mounting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped off some aero wheels, tires, and Tesla sources pressure sensors at Discount Tire to have them mounted and balanced (road force) to be ready to pick up on Monday. Is there anything that needs to be done with the TPMS before mounting them? They look sealed so I don’t think there is a way to “turn them on” or anything, but I’m wondering if brand new sensors have some plastic film between the battery and battery post or something that needs removed before putting them into service. I got them direct from the Tesla parts counter, glanced at them, and then tossed them in my glove box. Then just handed them over to Discount Tire today and then when I got home started thinking maybe I should have inspected the sensors closer, lol

You've purchased them fromTesla ($$$) so they should be pre-programmed for Tesla.
Otherwise the installers would use their programming tool to set them to the correct configuration for the car make/model.
This can be done from outside the wheel after it is installed on the car if necessary.
I managed to find a set on Amazon for cheap which were pre-programmed to the Model 3, ready to go.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Nothing to switch on/ remove with TPMS sensors that I have ever seen, I believe they “come on” each time they receive a signal from car or a programming device, some wake up when tire rotates
I purchased universal type TPMS sensors on amazon screwed them in myself dropped off wheels / tires at Discount or American Tire whatever they call themselves here.
As long as compatible, Model 3 TPMS do not need to be programmed in traditional sense. After driving a few miles a message will pop up on screen stating something about new sensors detected / asks you to select wheel size 18, 19, or 20 and that’s it. :)
So for future reference you do not need to spend the extra $$ on tesla branded TPMS ...may be same manufacturer anyway

Last edited:
I switched from Tesla all seasons to a set of Tesla supplied wheels and tires for winter. After a few minutes on the winter set the vehicle indicated it had detected new wheels and would I like to set them up under service > “wheel configuration”. After that pressure readings just showed up.

Nothing to switch on/ remove with TPMS sensors that I have ever seen, I believe they “come on” each time they receive a signal from car or a programming device, some wake up when tire rotates
I purchased universal type TPMS sensors on amazon screwed them in myself dropped off wheels / tires at Discount or American Tire whatever they call themselves here.
As long as compatible, Model 3 TPMS do not need to be programmed in traditional sense. After driving a few miles a message will pop up on screen stating something about new sensors detected / asks you to select wheel size 18, 19, or 20 and that’s it. :)
So for future reference you do not need to spend the extra $$ on tesla branded TPMS ...may be same manufacturer anyway

I’ve heard mixed results on if you need “programmed” TPMS so the Tesla will see them or not. I don’t have much faith in Discount Tire programming then correctly since they failed a couple years ago to program some right for a Chevy...

I’m about 2.5 hours from a Tesla service center so I didn’t want to gamble on it. I highly doubt a mobile ranger would come out just for that... and if they did I’m sure it would be a paid service.

Now I just hope Discount Tire doesn’t try to scan them or anything and mess up any default setting they’re supplied to Tesla with, lol

• Disagree
I Installed tires from Discount Tire just yesterday. No, you don't have to do anything. I drove about 5 miles before I got a notification about new tires installed. Only one TMPS first appeared but by the time I got back, all of them showed up. Also when I ordered tires, I made a comment about to please make sure sensors are compatible with Tesla Model 3.

I Installed tires from Discount Tire just yesterday. No, you don't have to do anything. I drove about 5 miles before I got a notification about new tires installed. Only one TMPS first appeared but by the time I got back, all of them showed up. Also when I ordered tires, I made a comment about to please make sure sensors are compatible with Tesla Model 3.

I sourced another set of official aero wheels, TPMS direct from Tesla, and then bought xIce tires from TireRack... I literally just need Discount to mount and balance them :p

Just dropped off some aero wheels, tires, and Tesla sources pressure sensors at Discount Tire to have them mounted and balanced (road force) to be ready to pick up on Monday. Is there anything that needs to be done with the TPMS before mounting them?

No.
I've just installed my set of winter tires (bought pre-mounted and pre-balanced from TireRack.com), and the car had re-initialized to the new sensors withing one (1) mile of driving.
I believe I was prompted to go to one of the menus and confirm that new set of wheels are installed, to complete the setup.

You've purchased them fromTesla ($$$) so they should be pre-programmed for Tesla.
Otherwise the installers would use their programming tool to set them to the correct configuration for the car make/model.

This is FALSE information.
Tesla uses automotive industry-standard 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors. They self-register with the on-board reciever.
No customization is required with either the sensors, or the car.

It just works, as long as the 3rd party sensors you bought are of the 433 MHz variety.

HTH