Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything to be aware of when selling a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be selling my 2020 M3 SR+ next month. I really don't want to but due to work and some personal stuff I will be moving from Vancouver to London.

I have never sold a car before. Every car I have previously had has been traded in when buying a new car. So I am going to be figuring that out but I was curious if anyone had any experience selling a Tesla before and if there was anything special to be aware of.

From some previous comments, when selling your car to a third party the transfer of ownership by Tesla takes some time, may be a week.

If the new buyer want to use a supercharger and you closed your account, the supercharger will deny the charge payment.

The advice is to set your Tesla account with a gift card with with a small amount, instead of your credit card,
and to let the new user using your payment during that time, may be you might need to create a guest account?

The other issues regarding Tesla would be the warranty transfer, the Premium Connectivity and the FSD option.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
From some previous comments, when selling your car to a third party the transfer of ownership by Tesla takes some time, may be a week.

If the new buyer want to use a supercharger and you closed your account, the supercharger will deny the charge payment.
I just sold mine 3 weeks ago. I transferred the car out of my mytesla account, and named the new owner. The new owner set up an account with mytesla, and 5 minutes later he got an email from Tesla confirming the car was in his account.

We tested it 30 minutes later at a Supercharger (I had free lifetime Supercharging), and it worked flawlessly.

• Informative
Reactions: ATC@LWSK and Lon12
I just sold mine 3 weeks ago. I transferred the car out of my mytesla account, and named the new owner. The new owner set up an account with mytesla, and 5 minutes later he got an email from Tesla confirming the car was in his account.

We tested it 30 minutes later at a Supercharger (I had free lifetime Supercharging), and it worked flawlessly.
Hi, I'm thinking of selling our SR+ privately also... Where is the best place to do so? Autotrader? Kijiji? FB marketplace?

Hi, I'm thinking of selling our SR+ privately also... Where is the best place to do so? Autotrader? Kijiji? FB marketplace?
Well..........
My son "convinced me" to sell him my car, at a very reasonable price....so I didn't go public. He also got my snow tires, HPWC, winter matts, second UMC (long story), extended warranty, and free Supercharging. I wasn't going to sell it for another year, but, I did get him out of ICE, and into an EV. Now I have no EV:(....waiting for delivery of new Audi etron......:)

I have sold a few cars on Autotrader in the past. No issues

Plus - another option might be to sell your car to Favorit, or Shift Motors, both of whom buy and sell a lot of Teslas - usually buy at a much higher price than Tesla will offer. They're both in the Toronto area. Also, Favorit is a TOCO sponsor, and may have a deal for TOCO members.

Reactions: 03DSG
Well..........
My son "convinced me" to sell him my car, at a very reasonable price....so I didn't go public. He also got my snow tires, HPWC, winter matts, second UMC (long story), extended warranty, and free Supercharging. I wasn't going to sell it for another year, but, I did get him out of ICE, and into an EV. Now I have no EV:(....waiting for delivery of new Audi etron......:)

Plus - another option might be to sell your car to Favorit, or Shift Motors, both of whom buy and sell a lot of Teslas - usually buy at a much higher price than Tesla will offer. They're both in the Toronto area. Also, Favorit is a TOCO sponsor, and may have a deal for TOCO members.
Thanks. Let me get the car appraised then see... hopefully, it wouldn't be nearly as disappointing as the estimate from Tesla. :p

Well..........

Sorry to see you leave Tesla, I have enjoyed your posts.

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
Sorry to see you leave Tesla, I have enjoyed your posts.
Thanks for the comment

I still follow TMC. I'm a Starlink beta tester (and I love it)
My son, the new owner of my old S85D, lives in Ottawa, and he's now on this forum, and is a member of the Tesla Owners club of Ontario. There will be a chapter in Ottawa, as soon as Covid is done...and I might pop in for the first meeting. I should have my etron by then (I hope).

I just resigned as the Club Secretary, but I'm still helping out. We need to get garbage cans into the Ottawa SCs, and I might drive them out too. Excuse to see the grandkids

Reactions: Biscuitman