Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything wrong with a few jack-rabbit starts on a brand new S, or is there a break-in period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Only if I and all around are safer and happier for the maneuver.

I have to expand on my exception above. I was once completely around a vehicle and meters in front of it before it looked around and honked, presumably at my visual trace.

People are not used to seeing what our cars can do. And some are resentful. Some are envious. Some are curious.

This all means blind spot lurkers and weird drivers. Be mostly careful of these IMHO. You don't always have to floor it even if you can replace the shoes.

Lol come on! Is it detrimental to the car??
Actually, even many ICE cars don't have a break-in period any more. It used to be that it took 1000 miles or so for the piston rings to seat, so you were supposed to keep speed under 60 and vary your speed; also, excessive RPMs could score the camshaft. Manufacturers now take newly built engines and spin them for a day or so (with an electric motor) to simulate that first 1,000 miles, so that break-in is not required. They use a certain break-in oil for this, and then replace it with fresh oil before putting engine in a car.

We had a few laughs (at someone's expense) at Mercedes Sindelfingen plant when new oil was put into a (very expensive) V12 engine at the beginning of a shift... seems that guys on previous shift already did this, and when engine was spun up, it exploded due to fluid lock. (Managers did not find it funny).

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Mickie and Lex
Semi-seriously I ask: if you're using traction control, why would jack-rabbit starts induce significantly more tire wear?
Because there is more friction at higher levels of acceleration (and braking). Even if you don't spin the tires, the additional friction which transfers the power distorts the tread more and causes wear.