Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to get Google Maps shortcuts to a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno who told you that, but it's very obviously untrue.

Send a route that stops 3 places.

The tesla nav will only route you to the final destination, even if that means going NOWHERE NEAR your "waypoints" the car 100% ignores.

The only "waypoint" functionality the car has at all is inserting its own charging stops if needed to reach the final destination.

You can test this yourself in any Tesla.

Put in a route in google maps that has a waypoint that's noticably out of the way compared to a direct route.

Send to car.

Get in car- and notice it ignored everything but final destination and built its own route having nothing to do with your waypoint.

The only thing it "uses" from what you send from google maps is your final destination.

[...]

The tesla nav will only route you to the final destination, even if that means going NOWHERE NEAR your "waypoints" the car 100% ignores.

The only "waypoint" functionality the car has at all is inserting its own charging stops if needed to reach the final destination.

[...]

The only thing it "uses" from what you send from google maps is your final destination.
The above is exactly my experience as well. IMO this topic has been definitively addressed: you cannot presently share waypoints or routes, what's shared is only the destination address (even the start address is irrelevant as the car is always going to start from where it currently is).

Furthermore, if you go into the Maps app in iOS, the "share" option will only display Tesla as a choice when you're looking at a destination alone; if you have a route created, Tesla isn't even available to share to.

Reactions: justinhow
You are correct, but that was not the question. I have just checked with my favorite mapping guru who refuses to be quoted. If I understand correctly here are the facts:

1. Tesla nav uses and accepts waypoints form many sources, hence the near real time traffic and obstruction updating, for example.
2. Tesla nav also accepts routing from quite an array of routing software, some more easily than others, but many are quite simple, including all the most popular such as Google Maps/Waze, Apple, TomTom and so on.
3. Tesla nav immediately on acceptance of a route from an external source then begins to optimize based on Tesla nav logic, hence rerouting for traffic, charging, road conditions and other factors will happen.

Because of the third point many people think there are no waypoints accepted from other systems. After all, we cannot, at the moment, enter our own mandatory intermediate waypoints or destinations. Elon has said that sometime there will be user-defined waypoints, but those are not yet possible.

Thus we are slightly at cross purpose in responding to the very patient OP.

The truthful answer is that the complete route is definitely downloadable from Google Maps. Once downloaded Tesla nav may well begin rerouting to optimize based on the final destination.

I hope this helps. I am assured that this is correct.

@jbcarioca I think you continue to muddy this discussion - frankly incorrect statements - and I don't think you're helping the OP.

As @Knightshade and I have already said, Tesla in-car map does not "accept routing" from any source. All it accepts are start and end points. From that, it generates its own route taking into account current battery level, distance, live traffic, speed of road choices (e.g. highways chosen over side streets), maybe even weather (my Model 3 is getting better than it used to at predicting trip battery consumption even in freezing weather). Its recommended route will get your Tesla there with a minimum battery remaining. End of story.