Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to get Google Maps shortcuts to a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some Google map routes (not just start and end) and would like to get those to a Tesla
Example route Moffat to Moffat
As I understand you can share from your phone (Android?) to your Tesla but was told this only does a simple start/destination type route.
1. So is there anyway to share Google maps routes with multiple way-points like the one above?
2. If I opened up this link in the Tesla chrome browser what would happen? Would it just run google maps in the browser?
PS I have a Tesla on order but not one I can try things on now.

Some people have said it is not possible, but Google gives the instructions.
If you have IOS you can select 'share', scroll to your Tesla (once you set up your car in the Tesla app, the Tesla app symbol shows as a 'share choice'). Then select and the entire route appears as the default in your cars nav. Incredibly easy and convenient because you needn't search, it's on the nav when you get to your car.

I only know from what Google Maps says, confirmed only by that reference.
Since I use Apple and Apple Maps for that purpose I do not have personal knowledge.
From past use of Google Maps for uploads I have noticed how important it is to follow their procedures exactly. It is not plug and play exactly. I have successfully uploaded Google Maps routes to a Garmin GPS. My confidence is only based on that experience, which transfers waypoints, streets etc without problem.

I’m 90% certain that what’s being shared is a destination coordinates, and the car’s navigation will do its own routing to that destination. Sharing an entire route could be impossible, since a route might include walking, public transit, etc. Furthermore, I think the car navigation is always going to try to get you to that destination via superchargers when necessary.

It should be easy to test: create an absurd route to an arbitrary destination (take the long way, for example) or a trip which is not possible to make without charging stops, share it, and see if what’s displayed in the car nav matches.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
This then is one of the weaknesses of the non Android Auto approach as if going on a car tour you may want specific roads and not just the shortest route between A and B. If I open these links on my phone the google maps app picks up all the waypoints etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: positiv
This then is one of the weaknesses of the non Android Auto approach as if going on a car tour you may want specific roads and not just the shortest route between A and B. If I open these links on my phone the google maps app picks up all the waypoints etc.
You're right, it's a pain.

Workaround - enter the next waypoint individually as you reach them.

You can submit a 'bug' or feature request, even from within the car.

Lastly, I think Elon tweeted a reply that waypoints would be supported at some point in the future. I think it's just a matter of time before this is pushed out as OTA update.

Reactions: justinhow
So one point that was not answered above "If I opened up this google maps link (Moffat to Moffat) in the Tesla chrome browser what would happen? Would it just run google maps in the browser?"
I know you can use WAZE in the browser so can you use google maps in the same way in which case this is also a workaround.
I can't try any of this as I am awiting delivery of my Tesla.

You're right, it's a pain.

Workaround - enter the next waypoint individually as you reach them.

Lastly, I think Elon tweeted a reply that waypoints would be supported at some point in the future. I think it's just a matter of time before this is pushed out as OTA update.
Another option: use something like EV Trip Planner or A Better Route Planner to plan route with waypoints and charging.

It's not the planning of the route that is the issue, it is the followoing of the route using the Tesla navigation system. I don't think this therefore helps does it?

GHave you used those apps? They estimate travel via waypoints including required charging stops for your particular model and configuration (e.g. wheel size) of Tesla. So they accomplish what you're looking for. Obviously it's not dynamic in car, but you could print-out or screen-shot the route and bring into your car with you - that's what I've done sometimes.

Thanks for responding but I reiterate "it is the following of the route using the Tesla navigation system" that I want. Unless I am missing something your suggestion does not provide that. Thanks anyway. I accept I can keep punching in the way-points as I reach them but that is obviously not ideal. I want to setup the route at home using a PC with a nice large display and send to the Tesla.
Hopefully Tesla will support passing more complex routes at some point.
FYI I have used A Better Route Planner and it is very good.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Tesla already does. The problem is that Google Maps does not, if I understand you correctly. When I pass a route from Apple Maps to Tesla nav, as I have does twice today, Tesla and receives exactly what was sent. if traffic or other obstruction happens Tesla nav does reroute. This is seamless. Waze, owned by Google, has near real time traffic monitoring so as a rule I send Waze rather than Google Maps, per se. Apple Maps works similarly.

Your best bet to send Google mapping date with a complete route to Tesla is to use Waze, which will upload easily. Anything I do the same day uses Waze. You can do that too from any operating system that allows you to use Waze. Once again Waze is Google, but with superior traffic and obstruction awareness. Since 2013 the two have largely merged, but the user interface for Waze is easier.

Tesla already does. The problem is that Google Maps does not, if I understand you correctly. When I pass a route from Apple Maps to Tesla nav, as I have does twice today, Tesla and receives exactly what was sent. if traffic or other obstruction happens Tesla nav does reroute. This is seamless. Waze, owned by Google, has near real time traffic monitoring so as a rule I send Waze rather than Google Maps, per se. Apple Maps works similarly.

Your best bet to send Google mapping date with a complete route to Tesla is to use Waze, which will upload easily. Anything I do the same day uses Waze. You can do that too from any operating system that allows you to use Waze. Once again Waze is Google, but with superior traffic and obstruction awareness. Since 2013 the two have largely merged, but the user interface for Waze is easier.
I don't quite understand you. Google maps does support shortcuts which can include up to 8 specified way-points on route. This can be shared between devices. I accept that Google maps could change this for traffic reasons (e.g. a traffic jam on route) although it will still go through all the way-points. This is also simple to fix if required by just turning traffic off on the receiving device.
So for example I can create a circular route in google maps on my desktop, going through 8 named towns on the route between the start and finish destinations. I can send this to my mobile where the google map app reads it exactly as I created it on the desktop.
NOTE There is one gotcha here - do no use click and drag to add additional way-points (not specified in the list in google maps) as these are NOT seen by the mobile app but this is not an issue once you know it.
As I understand it these shortcuts are not interpreted by the Tesla navigation system correctly (other than the start and finish). As I don't have my Tesla yet I have not personally confirmed this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca

I know that Tesla mapping does not support routes such as the one OP indicated - below - no matter which app sends it.

Tesla only receives the source and destination addresses, not the proposed route.

1615319914422.png

PS My Scottish ancestors grew up in Galashiels!! :)

If so it is a major coincidence that all my trips have matched the Waze and other routes I have sent. I admit that is entirely possible since all the usage I do is point to point without interim stops or predefined waypoints. FWIW, even the first , now primitive, aircraft systems, like the bend-King KNS-80, before GPS, had waypoint capability and would have been nearly useless without it. Garmin products almost always accommodate that because of their aviation origins, perhaps. I find it a trifle absurd to imagine NOT having that ability so if I have erred in my statement it's probably because I have not imagined the absence. On longer trips it is obvious that Tesla does use traditional waypoint entry because of Supercharger stop automatically assigned. When I enter a longer trip from Waze, for example, showing my charging stop, Tesla nav appears to match my choices. I cannot understand haw that happens if Tesla nav cannot accept waypoints. What am I missing?

If so it is a major coincidence that all my trips have matched the Waze and other routes I have sent. I admit that is entirely possible since all the usage I do is point to point without interim stops or predefined waypoints. FWIW, even the first , now primitive, aircraft systems, like the bend-King KNS-80, before GPS, had waypoint capability and would have been nearly useless without it. Garmin products almost always accommodate that because of their aviation origins, perhaps. I find it a trifle absurd to imagine NOT having that ability so if I have erred in my statement it's probably because I have not imagined the absence. On longer trips it is obvious that Tesla does use traditional waypoint entry because of Supercharger stop automatically assigned. When I enter a longer trip from Waze, for example, showing my charging stop, Tesla nav appears to match my choices. I cannot understand haw that happens if Tesla nav cannot accept waypoints. What am I missing?
Tesla nav does not support user-entered waypoints. At all, period, full stop.

It will insert its own charging stops if it judges they're needed to get from your origin to your destination, but that's it.

You can but it'd be a waste of time, since that doesn't actually get sent anywhere.

"bug reports" are just you bookmarking the logs internal to the car so if you open a service ticket in the app the local service center can jump to that spot in the logs to see what the car was doing when you had the problem.

Otherwise nobody ever sees them.