TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

anyway to have nav show two locations? go to A, then to B?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jlucero, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

if i want to go Home Depot around the corner, and then CVS, can the nav do that? or only one place at a time?

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

To my knowledge, there is only the possibility for one destination to be entered at a time.

It would however be fantastic with multiple destinations, especially for road trips.

3. jlucero

jlucero Member

Yea my family is always going to 5 places on weekends, and it would help alot.

4. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

That's so 15 years ago. Back then all GPS's had multiple waypoints. Nowadays people obviously only need to go to one place at a time.

So stop living in the past and get with the program!

• Funny x 9
  5. jlucero

jlucero Member

hahha funny

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The navigation software has been missing some basic features like waypoints and route customization since the first software release.

And with the limitations in the current navigation software (relying on out-of-date offline maps), it seems likely Tesla will have to shift to a better navigation package before full self driving is possible (you can't have the car driving using 2 year old maps!).

There is a workaround with the current software. Enter the B destination first. The enter the A destination. The navigation software will take you to the first destination. And when you want to look at the route to the B destination, you can quickly switch by tapping on the navigation box, and selecting the B destination from the Recents list.

We found that was useful when we wanted to force the navigation software to use a specific supercharger on our route.

• Helpful x 1
  7. docherf

docherf Member

I find myself doing this all the time on trips. It's pretty fast to switch.

8. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

yes.... as long as all but one of the places is a supercharger :)

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

8.0 is half way there - Tesla created a very natural display and routing sequence for multiple destinations when all of the intermediate stops are Superchargers as part of the new Supercharger routing and energy prediction system.

We've been told that 8.1 includes significant revisions to Navigation, so I'm hoping to see that waypoint approach extended to include arbitrary waypoints added by the user and ways of adding/subtracting individual points.

I'm also hoping the updated phone app we've been told is coming will be able to tap into the same servers/software the car is using, so you can build a plan on the phone and pass it to the car to drive.

As a workaround right now, you can make an appointment for each item on your phone with addresses, and the app will carry them over to the car's calendar so you can just tap on the next one you want to go to now.

• Helpful x 2
  10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Not directly. But you can create calendar events with the location specifying the address in your mobile phone. Make sure the Tesla app is set to communicate the calendar to the car. Then when you open the calendar icon in the car you will see your locations. Just touch the next one you want to go to and the navigation will take you to that address.

• Like x 3
  11. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

In case it would work as a solution and you are not already aware of it:

I use Waze on my phone - it is also traffic/police/etc. aware and provides accurate arrival times pretty much every trip because it uses info from speed of other users to calculate journey time.

Having Waze as the in-car Nav for Tesla would be awesome ... but its probably only a dream ... there is a website you can use on central screen that shows the Waze Alerts near where you are, but its not quite the same as being told what is coming up on the route you are driving.

12. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

open your browser... punch in this ... A Better Routeplanner
    Multiple waypoints, automatic Supercharger routing made by Tesla fans!