Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to tell if LFP 55kw or 60kw battery in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

New to this forum and read a lot of helpful info over the last few weeks thanks

I'm looking to buy a nearly new/used 2022 Model 3 RWD in near future and wonder if there is any concrete way to tell if the battery capacity is 55kw or 60kw

As I understand it only late 2021 RWD models had the then new 55kw LFP battery and were still called Standard Range +, early 2022 this was changed to a 60kw LFP battery and model name dropped and just called RWD but presumably some sort of crossover?

I have also read, on here I think when searching for info, the 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR but to anyone who has one of these models can this code be seen anywhere in the menus of the car screen?

Hope that makes sense, Thanks for help

The OP cited the two types:
"... 55kw battery has code E6CR and the 60kw battery is E6LR ..."
The V5 will show the battery type as either E6CR or E6LR, then this problem will be solved.

I am sure somebody with one of these models can just look at their V5 and confirm. It is how I found out which pack I had in my M3LR, I just looked at the code printed on the V5.
Just checked my V5, which is a 60kw and can confirm the V5 says E6LR

Upvote 0
The V5 will show the battery type as either E6CR or E6LR, then this problem will be solved.

I am sure somebody with one of these models can just look at their V5 and confirm. It is how I found out which pack I had in my M3LR, I just looked at the code printed on the V5.
My Sep-21 55 kWh is a E6CR on V5C

Upvote 0

Perfect, thanks, that seems the easy way to find out

Reactions: Overworked
Upvote 0
Again it is also the price difference and the condition of the car, battery degrad all plays a role when you buy a used car. Though I would prefer a LR given the range, the old SR+ (55kwh) is not different to the RWD (60kwh) with 306 (WLTP) or 280 on display. In a year you would expect both to lose around 1-2% which will be in the range of around 270 for the 60Kwh and 252 for the 55Kwh. Mine is still 252 on display and I have done 15,000miles and around 2 years 2 months. So you are looking at a difference of around 15-20 miles on display depending on which one you get. And this will quickly disappear if you are bit enthusiastic with your right foot. If you are shelling out more than a grand for that it is not really worth unless you get the Unicorn one with very good condition. It is a used car so you also need to look at other factors.
I’ve been looking at adverts on Autotrader for one around a year old and some are listed as SR+ with 272 miles range and some have a unlisted model name with 305 miles range which is sort of why I came up with the question, now that could just be a imput error by sellers as they are registered around March 22, but would have though reg would auto fill details? prices seem to be pitched around the same in UK at least so I may as well go for the bigger battery of the 2, I don’t do that many long journeys and will have a home charger installed so LR maybe a step to far

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
I don’t do that many long journeys

How often would you be out of range?

Will you drive more / long trips when you have EV? you know ... "just 'coz" :)

I had 240 mile range (motorway speeds) car, I was doing 35K miles p.a., out of range and Supercharged 2 days a month, changed that for 300 mile range car and now Supercharger one or two days a year. Big chunk of change for the bigger battery (although, say, 50% of that back when sell 2nd hand), but I'm glad I did it. (I suggest you ignore my high mileage and consider if you will be out of range once a year ... or once a month ... and if that will mostly be bank holiday weekends whether the pressure on charger rollout will mean you have to queue - and would you mind?

I never want to charge on outbound leg (in case hassle / queuing as that would delay my arrival time with friends / clients). Charging on return leg was OK - I got home a bit later, but I had done emails whilst parked, so "time neutral" for me. And stopping every couple of hours for 20 minutes is very good for driver - but its an additional pain for passengers / kids etc.

Its "just different" to ICE, and of course you get used to it. With ICE I filled the car once or twice a week - that was 8 hours a year, 5 minutes at a time, and my 2x a month Supercharger was also 8 hours a year - but 20 minutes a time :). But actually that was time that I could use, for emails, rather than stand-and-pump and queue-to-day :) "Just different". Need to have charge-at-home for that benefit of course.

If you are not familiar with it ABetterRoutePlanner will allow you to try brand & model / destinations (relies, friends, continental touring etc.) / winter/summer temperature etc. and you could see whether you would have to stop / where / how often etc. which might help with whether paying for bigger battery is worthwhile, for your journey mix.

Reactions: Mark89052
Upvote 0
How often would you be out of range?

Will you drive more / long trips when you have EV? you know ... "just 'coz" :)

I had 240 mile range (motorway speeds) car, I was doing 35K miles p.a., out of range and Supercharged 2 days a month, changed that for 300 mile range car and now Supercharger one or two days a year. Big chunk of change for the bigger battery (although, say, 50% of that back when sell 2nd hand), but I'm glad I did it. (I suggest you ignore my high mileage and consider if you will be out of range once a year ... or once a month ... and if that will mostly be bank holiday weekends whether the pressure on charger rollout will mean you have to queue - and would you mind?

I never want to charge on outbound leg (in case hassle / queuing as that would delay my arrival time with friends / clients). Charging on return leg was OK - I got home a bit later, but I had done emails whilst parked, so "time neutral" for me. And stopping every couple of hours for 20 minutes is very good for driver - but its an additional pain for passengers / kids etc.

Its "just different" to ICE, and of course you get used to it. With ICE I filled the car once or twice a week - that was 8 hours a year, 5 minutes at a time, and my 2x a month Supercharger was also 8 hours a year - but 20 minutes a time :). But actually that was time that I could use, for emails, rather than stand-and-pump and queue-to-day :) "Just different". Need to have charge-at-home for that benefit of course.

If you are not familiar with it ABetterRoutePlanner will allow you to try brand & model / destinations (relies, friends, continental touring etc.) / winter/summer temperature etc. and you could see whether you would have to stop / where / how often etc. which might help with whether paying for bigger battery is worthwhile, for your journey mix.
Yes something to consider, I‘m thinking 200 mile max round trip to visit my daughter every so often, so extra 9% sould certainly do that safely with room to spare (maybe) but can always top up there, much longer peak trips have option to take wife’s ICE car

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
I’ve been looking at adverts on Autotrader for one around a year old and some are listed as SR+ with 272 miles range and some have a unlisted model name with 305 miles range which is sort of why I came up with the question, now that could just be a imput error by sellers as they are registered around March 22, but would have though reg would auto fill details? prices seem to be pitched around the same in UK at least so I may as well go for the bigger battery of the 2, I don’t do that many long journeys and will have a home charger installed so LR maybe a step to far
Regarding the 305 (RWD 60Kwh) and 272 ( SR+55Kwh) miles that’s been mentioned that was what Tesla used on their websites. But that is the WLTP but the car display uses EPA and that will be about 280 (60kw) and 262 (55kw) as new.
But as we mentioned before there was this overlap of this Unicorn ones with larger batteries and 0-62 5.2 sec speed. They had best of both worlds - don’t know whether they are the unlisted ones!

Upvote 0